Question about tires - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2014, 04:04 PM   #21

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
For those not in the Pacific Northwest Les Schwab is a local tire store chain. In Las Vegas I pulled into a Terrible's tire store, just had to get close enough for the hose to reach. I didn't even get out of the tow.
Now that I've moved- they are also in California, even Fresno.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 05:18 PM   #22

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
At home I have a 60 gal compressor, or the option of a smaller work compressor if out on the road. But, I too carry a small 12V compressor which has come in handy a couple times. These small compressors are fine for topping up, but to completely fill a tire will take a looooong time up to 50psi, and doing so once I burned one out.

I don't carry any tire repair stuff. Instead, I opt to carry a spare tire. Much easier to just swap out if needed than to go to the bother to repair and refill. But,like mentioned in another thread, I have yet to have a flat in over 5 years on the tires. I plan to look into new ones next year, and am hoping they hold out for me.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 05:48 PM   #23

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Our little compressor is rated for 8 hours of continuous operation. We find filling a tire no issue. We run our trailer tires at 50 lbs and our tow vehicle tires near 40. We have had our compressor for 14 years in our various RVs. If I needed one I'd buy one just like it. I recall it was under $50 but it was a long time ago.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 07:31 PM   #24

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Have a compressor in the garage. I always check the tow vehicle AND trailer tires, including spares, before leaving. I find the compressor useful for many other tasks . Additionally, I carry a. 12v unit in the tow vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 07-30-2014, 08:10 PM   #25

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
The 12V compressor that blew on me was not a real cheapo price wise, but sure was in the way it was built. I took it apart to see if I could repair it. All the pieces, except a few screws and pins for moving parts, was all plastic. A little tiny motor turning a single camshaft, pumping a wee piston, pushing air through a cheap one way valve.

I would gladly pay twice the money if I knew I was getting one made with quality parts.

I was not worth my time to fix. The new one seems a bit better, hope it holds up.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 09:04 PM   #26

Name: Bob
Trailer: Casita 16SD
Florida
If your tire separates from the rim you can use a ratchet strap around the outside of the tire to squeeze it back into place. Make sure to release the strap as soon as tire starts taking air or you will have a hard time getting it loose.
Old 08-03-2014, 05:37 AM   #27

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Whatever you do, never combine the starting fluid and the ratchet strap trick.

Personally, I carry two spares and don't worry about it. I don't believe in the greasy rope push in plugs. The only tire repair I accept is a rubber plug/patch combo from the inside.

Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 05:54 AM   #28

Florida
Jared,

Our approach is to start with good tires. As a result our only failures have been only nails or screws, no blowouts.

Over our 14 years on the road we've plugged at least 6 tires. Every plug worked until the tires end of life. Is their a better approach? Maybe. Though nothing is handier when you're absolutely no where.

I have heard negative comments about them but have never seen them not work.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-03-2014, 06:12 AM   #29

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
As a truck mechanic we were forbidden to use the push in plugs. The theory being that they would allow moisture to get to the steel cords and rust them resulting in the casing being weakened and unusable for recapping. After we removed whatever punctured a tire we drilled out the hole with a special bit, glued in a rubber plug, trimmed off the excess inside and applied a patch and then coated that patch with a sealer.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 08:14 AM   #30

Name: Lisa
Trailer: Former Escape 19 owner
Virginia
Registry
I called my local RV dealership. They were basically useless. They wouldn't fill my tires on a Saturday because they did not have a technician on duty.

But they recommended a close by truck and trailer supply. The guys there were happy to fill the tires for me. No cost!

Before my next trip I'll look into getting a compressor.

Thanks again for all the terrific tips.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
ColoRockiesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 10:46 AM   #31

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
I have read good reviews about the ViAir brand of compressors, and I'm thinking of buying one. They have some (70P, 85P) for about $50 that plug into the cigarette lighter type socket, and some much faster ones (like the 300P, about $150) that clip to the battery. I have two el-cheapo compressors now, and neither one is worth much because they take forever to get anything done.

For about $225, I could get (off ebay) a ViAir on-board compressor bundled with a 2 gallon tank and an air horn. Add a little bit of labor to install that, and it would be both useful and fun. Great for airing up tires after off-roading, and even better when someone cuts me off in traffic.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 11:21 AM   #32

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
One thing not mentioned is that some of the booster/battery packs that come with a compressor also have 12V and USB outlets. They are good for charging things while boondocking.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 11:24 AM   #33

Florida
Mike, I'm no compressor expert. We've had this one for 14 years and used it every year and always carry it with us. It's not cheap but small and has been reliable.

Interdynamics HD300 - 12 Volt Truck Air Heavy Duty Portable Compressor - 300 Psi

I'm not sure this is the least expensive source.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-03-2014, 11:47 AM   #34

Name: Denny
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Michigan
The little 12v compressors take a long time to fill a car tire but for a bike, they're great.

Denny Wolfe
Wanderingourway.wordpress.com
MCDenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 12:02 PM   #35

Florida
Denny,

I've never timed the compressor I use but I've filled plenty of tires and never noticed it to be slow. Certainly it's not a garage compressor but more than adequate for road use. I've filled at least 6 tires from scratch.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-03-2014, 12:41 PM   #36
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoRockiesFan View Post
I called my local RV dealership. They were basically useless.
Yup... It seems there is no level ground when it comes to RV dealers. Like you said yours was useless while others go out of their way to accommodate, and please a customer.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 01:34 AM   #37

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Question about tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Jared,

Our approach is to start with good tires. As a result our only failures have been only nails or screws, no blowouts.

Over our 14 years on the road we've plugged at least 6 tires. Every plug worked until the tires end of life. Is their a better approach? Maybe. Though nothing is handier when you're absolutely no where.

I have heard negative comments about them but have never seen them not work.

I only run good tires, also. I'm not saying I wouldn't use those plugs for an emergency, but I wouldn't use it permanently, either. They can dry out and leak, or worse, allow water into the plies and rust the belting. They can also allow air in between the plies and bubble the tire. Sadly, many half-baked tire shops now use them, because they charge the same price and "fix" the tire without taking it off the car, looking for inner damage, or preventing further tire damage.

Like I said, I carry two spares, so I don't have to worry about it until I get home. Once home, it's about a 15-20 minute job to put a rubber patch/plug in to seal it. I do it myself as most tire shops don't hablo ingles, and ram plugs in after you specifically request they don't.

Name:   ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1407396785.624269.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  25.0 KB

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=77

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1407396722.928041.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	162.7 KB
ID:	74580

If you want more info, talk to a local retreader. They'll tell you all about rusted belting falling apart while shaving the tire, and it wasn't even from a flat, just something that managed to penetrate to the belting.

The only thing I will put in my tires is a plug/patch one piece combo. If that doesn't work without hitting the sidewall, then my tire is scrap.

My scamp has never had an issue, but one tire is pretty much rated for the entire camper weight. My car trailer runs much closer to max weight, and likes to eat them. I get the heaviest load range e's I can on it, which helped a lot, but it still happens sometimes.

Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires