Question about tires - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2014, 10:14 AM   #1

Name: Lisa
Trailer: Former Escape 19 owner
Virginia
Registry
Question about tires

This may qualify as a top 10 dumb question but I'm going to ask anyway!

Where do you fill your trailer tires? I live in northern Va and there are zero gas stations around me that have enough room for me to access with trailer and fill the tires.

So, what to do?
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
ColoRockiesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 10:20 AM   #2

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
We have a small RV air compressor that plugs into a 12 volt outlet.. We carry it every where we go.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 10:21 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I carry a cheap ( $25 ) air compressor that runs on 12V.
I plug it into one of the 12V outlets in the trailer, run the wire out a window, or get a 12V extension cord, and top up tires at home, or on the road.
Old 07-30-2014, 10:27 AM   #4

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I have a small air compressor in my garage, and 2 12 volt air compressors. One stays in the tow. Mostly I fill the tires from home before leaving. At least once I stopped at tire store while on the road because the tires were a bit warmer than normal. They filled the tires for free. Lots options. If I didn't have an air compressor in my garage I would simply stop at a tire store and ask them take of things.
Old 07-30-2014, 10:36 AM   #5

Virginia
Registry
Air compressor? Excellent! Thanks!

Tire store ...hmmm ... I had not considered that ... worth looking into!
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
Old 07-30-2014, 10:46 AM   #6

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
Many of those "Jump-it" type battery thingys have a built in compressor. Might be a good dual purpose application. Jump a battery, add a little air. Everybody sells them, Sears, Walmart, Harbor Fright, etc.

Personally, I like the kind with a screw-on type valve because I can never get the lever-type valves off the valve stem without bleeding out too much air...and I feel like I'm going to pull the stem out of the wheel.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 10:49 AM   #7

Florida
Lisa.

This is the one we have. We've had it for 14 years. It's nice because it has a real long 12 volt cord that wraps around the bottom of the compressor.

Here's a link to Amazon.

Amazon.com: Heavy duty 12V Portable Air Compressor; With yellow flashing safety light; 8 hours fulltime operation: Home Improvement

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-30-2014, 10:55 AM   #8

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I pull in to Les Schwab and they fill them for me. No need to park, they will come out and do it.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 11:04 AM   #9

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
I pull in to Les Schwab and they fill them for me. No need to park, they will come out and do it.

For those not in the Pacific Northwest Les Schwab is a local tire store chain. In Las Vegas I pulled into a Terrible's tire store, just had to get close enough for the hose to reach. I didn't even get out of the tow.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:06 AM   #10

Florida
We carry a compressor for a number of reasons. First as we go from South to North the significant changes in temperatures sometimes means our tires need to be topped off. Second, we carry a tire repair kit for nails and screws and the compressor allows us to refill the tire. Third people often ask if you have a compressor or battery jumper and on numerous occasions we've been able to help others.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-30-2014, 11:27 AM   #11

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Third people often ask if you have a compressor or battery jumper and on numerous occasions we've been able to help others.
And that brings up a great reason to have one of these units. You can not only air stuff up but jump your own rig if you have to. You know, like if you are camping somewhere waaaaaayyy back with nobody around and you actually want to get home. The other nice thing is I do not like jumping other people's rigs off anymore with all the electronincs in modern autos. When somebody askes for a jump I just break out the little portable jumper outfit and take care of them.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 11:30 AM   #12

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
I have a big compressor in my shop at home, and keep a portable air tank filled that I throw in (along with a jack-in-the-box) about every where I go. Basically, this stuff is always in my gull wing tool box in the F150. I always check tires before I venture out for a road trip.

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 11:40 AM   #13

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
Reminds me of the time I waved goodbye to everyone at the end of a rally and then found that my tow battery was dead. Had to pull the battery out of the trailer to start the truck. Drove to a nearby Walmart, bought a jump-it (leaving the tow running in the back 40 of the parking lot) and charged it with it's 12v recharge plug all the way home just in case I forgot and turned off the engine while gassing up. (Driving might have already brought the battery back but I didn't want to chance it.)

Like Norm and Ginny, I've loaned it out on at least one occasion.

These days, my Flex comes with a compressor but I still carry the jump it/compressor.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 11:41 AM   #14

Name: Bob
Trailer: Casita 16SD
Florida
compressor and tire plugs.

In addition to a 12v compressor in my tow I always carry a tire plug kit.
It has got me back to civilization many times both on my camper and truck.
They are cheap and effective and most times you don't even have to remove the wheel from the unit.
bb4029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 01:49 PM   #15

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by bb4029 View Post
In addition to a 12v compressor in my tow I always carry a tire plug kit.
It has got me back to civilization many times both on my camper and truck.
They are cheap and effective and most times you don't even have to remove the wheel from the unit.
Might need to jack it up to take the weight off wheel when filling but I'm another that carries a tire plug patch kit.

Figure I'll throw this out there because I'm still grateful to the guy who showed it to me when I was sitting there with a flat on a holiday weekend.

Those 12 volt tire pumps can put out the pressure but not a lot of volume so if the tire bead (inner edge) loses it's seat on the rim pump can't provide enough air to shove it back so it seals and will fill up.

Jack up until the tire is off the ground. Wrap a rope around the center tread and apply a tourniquet using the rope. Pressure on the center of the tread all the way around the tire can force the inner bead back out against the rim.

Not as exciting as my neighbors approach of spray tire full of starting fluid and using a match to blow the tire out against the rim but probably safer.

If you are unfamiliar with a tourniquet here is a picture. Tourniquet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 02:03 PM   #16

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Get one of these tire inflaters you wont regret it. You will have to pop the hood to connect to the battery though. You need to have your car running. We use these to inflate truck tires when we run into the sand at 12 psi. Its so much faster than cheap cigarette corded models.

SuperFlow/150 PSI 12 Volt air compressor for car and full size truck tires (MV-50) | Portable Tire Inflator | AutoZone.com
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 02:23 PM   #17

Registry
Question for those posting additional material like plugs, tire inflaters, etc. Do you think to OP has any understanding of what you're talking about?
Old 07-30-2014, 02:45 PM   #18

Virginia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Question for those posting additional material like plugs, tire inflaters, etc. Do you think to OP has any understanding of what you're talking about?
I learn quickly.
Old 07-30-2014, 02:46 PM   #19

Virginia
Registry
Thanks to all for the great suggestions!
Old 07-30-2014, 03:32 PM   #20

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Besides my 3 shop compressors I have a cheap Sears portable compressor ($99) that can be handy for the average home owner. I don't take it with me camping but do have a few of the 12 volt compressors, one for each vehicle.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires