Question on Vinyl Installation - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2010, 11:35 AM   #1

Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
Question on Vinyl Installation

I'm in the process of installing a 3/16" FBC foam similar to ensolite, that does not have the interior face of ensolite. I've just experimented with a scrap piece a FBC, gluing two types of vinyl using M3 80 and it didn't stick very well. I put on two coats and let it dry a couple of minutes before attaching, but after 10 minutes it peeled of without much resistance.

Does anyone know of another type of glue that might work better? I only purchased a small swath of vinyl, but have all the FBC for a full install, so I'm going to install the FBC. If I can't find any glue that works, I have experimented with a couple of types of paint that seem to work fine. I was thinking vinyl might give it a more finished look to the inside, but may just stay with paint.

Thanks for any help.
DannyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 11:45 AM   #2

Registry
Well, I guess I spoke to soon. I went back after 45 minutes and pressed the two pieces togather and now the FBC foam tears appart when I pull on the vinyl. I guess when I install it I'll give it an hour and them press/ roll the vinyl to get a good grip. I'm still going to experiment a bit more before I buy any vinyl.
Old 08-27-2010, 12:24 PM   #3

Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact Jr
I've always use 3M type 77. With these contact type adhesives, humidity can affect cure. Being in the Great Pacific North Wet; we have that situation.
Dave Bese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 03:49 PM   #4

Registry
Dave, thanks for the information.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:46 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2004 Element
Registry
Danny,

Just wondering how your vinyl turned out and if you have any pictures and tips?

Thanks,
vickie
Vickie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 09:25 PM   #6

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
The trick with some of these glues is to coat both pieces and wait for it to semi dry (about 15 min) til it just looks dry to the touch.....when you join the two together they don't come apart.
Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 09:54 PM   #7

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Nothing against 3M 77 spray, but as I understand it, it's a relatively low tack as their spray adhesives go. I don't believe it is recommended for headliners or areas that will be exposed to high heat.

For things like headliners or places that get hot, I've had better luck with 3M's Spray 90, Spray 80, or Super Trim Adhesive.
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 12:06 PM   #8

Trailer: Trillium 13 ft
Vinyl is a sort of special case when using spray adhesives due to the plasticizers it contains. I needed to glue a particular type of vinyl sound dampening material in a projection equipment application so I consulted 3M technical services. They advised me to use only their Rubber and Vinyl 80 spray adhesive which is specifically made for vinyl applications or the plasticizers would eventually destroy the glue bond. It's been in place and working fine for about five years now. You can order it from McMaster Carr if you don't have a local source that carries it. They also make a bulk version for brush roll or spray but that's more of an industrial use item. Steve G
Stephen G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 12:10 PM   #9

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
(Just a note that what Stephen is referring to is what I referred to as 3M Spray 80. He's correct in pointing out about the plasticizers and about the name.)
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 12:38 PM   #10

Registry
Vickie, after doing more test pieces I came to the conclusion that we would have to put in multiple seams using the vinyl and couldn't figure a good way to cover them up. I ended up putting in the FBC foam with only 2 small seams. I then caulked the seams and painted directly on the FBC. It's not going to be as strong as the vinyl, but it turned out nice. I noticed if you drop a 2X4 from 4 feet it will put a tear in the foam, but fixing it is easy. I just put a little caulking in the tear, smooth it out and then repaint. You cant really see the repair. I'm hopeing to get the trailer done by spring.
Old 11-11-2010, 01:20 PM   #11

Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2004 Element
Registry
Thanks for all the information! My husband informed me he'd rather NOT have the wall material replaced with rug type material. He has allergies and thought it might hold in the dirt, so I'm thinking about vinyl, faux leather, etc. There's alot to choose from.

I may be OK as far as seams, since the Perris Pacer has that big wonderful piece of decorative paneling on the ceiling, which takes up quite a bit of space. Also, I've learned from Robert Johans how he makes his seam covers, so hopefully that will work.

What I'm reading from you guys is that I need to have the right adhesive for vinyl/plastic. I wonder if that means I need one kind for reflectix to fiberglass and one kind for vinyl to reflectix???

Vickie
Vickie B. is offline   Reply With Quote