Questions about 16' Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2012, 03:01 PM   #1

Name: will
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Washington, D.C.
Questions about 16' Scamp

I am not sure if this is the correct forum, but here goes...

I am thinking of buying this 16' scamp:

1992 16' Scamp Camping Trailer

and I had some questions the owners couldn't answer, so I was hoping this forum would help me out:

The owners say it has a 7-pin connection but they have never used it, does that imply it has electric brakes?
The owner informed me the fridge doesn't run on propane anymore, only 110v DC. Is the battery charged during driving, allowing the fridge to stay on
during driving?
Owner says the weight is 1200#, but according to the "real world trailer weights" it is closer to 2400# (dry). Is there any reason their weight could be so far off?
Any other issues I should check out when going to look at it?

Thanks!
wklose99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 04:53 PM   #2

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
7 pin implies the plug has a spot for electric brake connection, only having wire running to wheels and brakes mean electric brakes.

Same for battery charge while driving, your tow vehicle has to be wired for it and trailer has to be wired for it. Plug just gives you a way to make connection. Don't think most people have good luck running fridge off of tow. Too much power draw. Most use propane.

Good news on that fridge is evap system is working, AC power, Batt Power or Propane all just provide heat, if it works on AC power the expensive evap system is functioning.

I thought real world weight are loaded weight, taken at a rally? Maybe dry means with water tanks empty? (water = 8 lbs per gallon). Owner may be referencing the manufactures weight, always totally stripped weight, think no propane tanks, and artificial.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 04:54 PM   #3

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Utah
Registry
16' Scamp came with brakes so it should have a 7 pin connector. However, if it's a 92 and the brakes have never been used, you may have to replace the drums as they may be rusted inside. Best to have the brakes checked and the bearings packed at the same time(repacking bearings is a must anytime you buy a used trailer-never know how the unit was serviced prior).

The battery can be charged by the tow vehicle. Need to check on the amp draw on 12v of your frig to see if it will run while driving.

On the weight issue. I guarantee it weighs more than 1200#. Check out the scamp web site(scamptrailers.com). It may answer most of your questions.

If you are mechanical at all, you can probably fix any problems that come up.
Old 07-03-2012, 05:07 PM   #4

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Scamp 16' as far as I am aware all have brakes.

Whether or not the battery will charge while driving depends on how your car is wired.

The Real Word weights shown here are not Dry weights - they are loaded for camping weights. Dry weights mean there is nothing in the trailer at all & no options such as microwave, fridge, ac, awning, propane tank or battery.

I have a 92 16' and it appears twice on the Real World Weights and it was weighed again a few months ago and it came in with a total 2525lb (including tongue) - it was loaded for camping but had no water in the tanks and it does not have AC or microwave and its a standard side bathroom - so no heavy wood in it -same as the one you linked to, it has one 20lb propane tank and one battery. I would expect the 16' Scamp you have linked above to weight about the same loaded with your gear, although its tongue weight will be higher due to two propane tanks and what looks to be two battery's.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:11 PM   #5

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I have a Deluxe (oak interior) no heavy wood in it either, at least not as compared to fiberglass cabinetry.
Ok I take that back Floyd! Have weighed mine a couple of times along with a deluxe 16' & it has come in heavier. The one that weighed in at the last Bandon meet with me also came in about 300lbs more.... just over packed perhaps? or is it that they have a whole lot of extra's shelving & cupboards up front the standard doesnt have?
Old 07-03-2012, 07:39 PM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Pretty good info here -

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/buy-sell.html
John Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:54 PM   #7

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Beware of asking too many questions and taking too much time to decide. Someone may buy it while you are thinking about it.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:03 PM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Good advice CindyL -

Pretty good price on a hard to find item, will not loose any money at that price.
John Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:22 PM   #9

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
I speak from experience. I was that person who followed a link here to an ebay-listed Uhaul when someone was asking questions. There was a "Buy-It-Now" option. Ten minutes later, we bought it. In the world of fiberglass, you have to jump on a good deal.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:24 AM   #10

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyL View Post
I speak from experience. I was that person who followed a link here to an ebay-listed Uhaul when someone was asking questions. There was a "Buy-It-Now" option. Ten minutes later, we bought it. In the world of fiberglass, you have to jump on a good deal.

CindyL
If you want to be VERY well-loved on here, then always delay and always stop to ask lotsa questions about a unit you are considering - esp if it is priced low.

Then, while you are doing that, the rest of us can snap it up!

Just kidding - if you are not 100% happy with a deal - don't do it. You have to be happy - both with your acquisition and with the deal you made getting it!
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:19 AM   #11

Name: will
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Washington, D.C.
Thanks everyone for you help. I think I may go check it out this weekend. I am assuming I would have to get the brakes replaced, bearings packed, and new tires. I am guessing that would cost around $1,000? does that still make this a great deal?
wklose99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:26 AM   #12

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Utah
Registry
YOu can buy new brakes for about $200 from etrailer, another 100 to have them installed and the bearings repacked. Tires should run about $100 each(or less). So that's about $500. Still a good deal.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:10 AM   #13

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by wklose99 View Post
Thanks everyone for you help. I think I may go check it out this weekend. I am assuming I would have to get the brakes replaced, bearings packed, and new tires. I am guessing that would cost around $1,000? does that still make this a great deal?
As Dennis pointed out the items you need are pretty well basic maintenance items that you IMHO will find you need to do on a great many of the used trailers out there. If you are serious about the trailer I am not sure I would wait until the week-end to go see.....

Edit: Just looking at a couple of the photos it appears a few common items found on many 16' appear to be missing. A hot water tank, shower, awning, front window guard & a 12V ceiling fan. It does have a furnace & screen door though.

Tags
scamp