Questions on Travelling South - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-04-2015, 07:23 PM   #15

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
RV Antifreeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lora View Post
Why not buy the antifreeze in the states if/when plan to re-winterize?
We had to go to 3 different stores in Georgia in order to find 2 gallons of RV antifreeze for our trip home to Wisconsin . We now carry a couple of gallons of RV antifreeze with us when we head South in the winter. We bought Peak 50 below RV antifreeze for $1.57/gal in Wisconsin , paid 4 times that amount in Georgia

Old 01-04-2015, 08:55 PM   #16

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOleMan View Post
Valley of Fire looks like a great place to explore from mid October to mid March when the temperatures are more moderate. It looks like Cathedral Gorge can get rather chilly through April.
I really enjoyed a week at the Valley of Fire in late December one year and it was very livable. Suspect someone coming from the Prairies will find it even more than livable in February

I also give Buckskin Mountain State Park on the Colorado River a thumbs up. If you go make sure you take a trip out to the Desert Bar. Ask the locals they will point you in the right direction.

Also enjoyed my time at Aqua Caliente Country Park but its in CA.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 09:26 PM   #17

Name: Lora
Trailer: 89 Bigfoot 17G & 73 Compact II
Northern Neck, VA
Registry
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
We had to go to 3 different stores in Georgia in order to find 2 gallons of RV antifreeze for our trip home to Wisconsin . We now carry a couple of gallons of RV antifreeze with us when we head South in the winter. We bought Peak 50 below RV antifreeze for $1.57/gal in Wisconsin , paid 4 times that amount in Georgia
Thanks for sharing that info. I guess I've always lived where it was readily available, at a reasonable price.
Old 01-05-2015, 12:42 PM   #18

Name: Dianne
Trailer: 17 ft Casita
Saskatchewan
I had been wondering about the issue of re-winterizing when we head back home. We would also have to blow out the water lines to do that, so will have to think about bringing our compressor to do that. Or can we rent one from somewhere? We want to minimize how much stuff we need to bring. More research!!
Old 01-05-2015, 12:53 PM   #19

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
You could do it the old fashioned way, just use the antifreeze and the water pump. You don't have to blow them out.
Old 01-05-2015, 01:44 PM   #20

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
I really enjoyed a week at the Valley of Fire in late December one year and it was very livable. Suspect someone coming from the Prairies will find it even more than livable in February
Good point, Carol! Someone from the frozen tundra might think that "chilly" weather was downright balmy!

I second the motion about Cathedral Gorge, and so does the pigeon. Pidge (pictured here, on his perch above the gorge) will be watching for your arrival.
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010168 sm.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	368.7 KB
ID:	79566
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 06:52 PM   #21

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianne Dohei View Post
I had been wondering about the issue of re-winterizing when we head back home. We would also have to blow out the water lines to do that, so will have to think about bringing our compressor to do that. Or can we rent one from somewhere? We want to minimize how much stuff we need to bring. More research!!
All I have done when returning from a trip in mid winter is empty the tanks and dump a gallon or so of anti freeze in the fresh water tank and run all the taps and pump it through the lines - dump a little bit down the sink and shower drain as well - don't forget to turn on the shower drain pump if you have one. Simple and fast.
Old 01-06-2015, 01:31 PM   #22

Name: Dianne
Trailer: 17 ft Casita
Saskatchewan
Carol - I thought it was necessary to blow the lines in order to clear water out of the hot water tank. That we aren't supposed to run the anti-freeze through the tank. Do you run it through? Have you had any issues with that?
Old 01-06-2015, 01:36 PM   #23

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
The hot water tank is emptied via removing the plug and using a bypass valve you bypass it during your winterization procedure.. You blow out the water in the lines or pump rv antifreeze the the lines, neither air nor antifreeze can cause damage.There is no mention of antifreeze in the hot water tank.
Old 01-06-2015, 02:44 PM   #24

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
I see a lot of people are ignoring the National Parks. We're at the moment at Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument, day time temps near 70. Camping fee $12.00 per night.
Next we'll head for Lake Mead Recreational Area. Several campgrounds in Recreational Area, camping fees again $12.00. From there we'll head to Death Valley camping fees range from $12.00 to I believe $31.00 per night.
The lower fees means no hook ups but they're is showers, water, and toilets available at 3 places.
Old 01-06-2015, 03:03 PM   #25

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianne Dohei View Post
Carol - I thought it was necessary to blow the lines in order to clear water out of the hot water tank. That we aren't supposed to run the anti-freeze through the tank. Do you run it through? Have you had any issues with that?
As Jim says simple empty all the tanks including the hot water tank before adding the anti freeze. Never had any issues with using the approach I mentioned (dump out all your tanks, dump some anti freeze into the fresh tank and run the pump and open the facets to fill the lines). Also not an issues if you do happen to get some into the hot water tank! The hot water tank really does need due to its design a good cleaning out each spring regardless - failure to do so will result in a build up of crud in the bottom of it that will not only shorten its life but start to smell real bad if left in there and you use the tank or you leave the tank full of bad water in hot weather for a good stretch of time. The good thing about using the approach I mention is that the anti freeze will also go through the water pump - not so with other approaches unless you disconnect the water lines from the pump to allow it to fully drain. I know way to many folks who have had to replace water pumps each spring as they did not drain them or run anti freeze through them.

Every spring I do a good sanitizing of the whole water system. Not just because of anti freeze but because I do a lot of dry camping and have been known to get some pretty questionable water while on the road. Never have had a problem with water smelling like anti freeze or other concerns some have mentioned. Even if you did not clean it out of the tanks they can still be used it not dangerous just may have a funny smell to the water! The anti freeze is made for use in RV's and home plumbing. Heck being a Canadian I am sure you are aware the anti freeze in used in the plumbing of thousands and thousands of summer cottage all over the country! I am sure it would be a big news story every spring if people were being badly impacted due to having used anti freeze in their plumbing systems.