Questions on Travelling South - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2015, 06:52 PM   #21

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianne Dohei View Post
I had been wondering about the issue of re-winterizing when we head back home. We would also have to blow out the water lines to do that, so will have to think about bringing our compressor to do that. Or can we rent one from somewhere? We want to minimize how much stuff we need to bring. More research!!
All I have done when returning from a trip in mid winter is empty the tanks and dump a gallon or so of anti freeze in the fresh water tank and run all the taps and pump it through the lines - dump a little bit down the sink and shower drain as well - don't forget to turn on the shower drain pump if you have one. Simple and fast.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 01:31 PM   #22

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Carol - I thought it was necessary to blow the lines in order to clear water out of the hot water tank. That we aren't supposed to run the anti-freeze through the tank. Do you run it through? Have you had any issues with that?
Dianne Dohei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 01:36 PM   #23

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
The hot water tank is emptied via removing the plug and using a bypass valve you bypass it during your winterization procedure.. You blow out the water in the lines or pump rv antifreeze the the lines, neither air nor antifreeze can cause damage.There is no mention of antifreeze in the hot water tank.
Old 01-06-2015, 02:44 PM   #24

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I see a lot of people are ignoring the National Parks. We're at the moment at Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument, day time temps near 70. Camping fee $12.00 per night.
Next we'll head for Lake Mead Recreational Area. Several campgrounds in Recreational Area, camping fees again $12.00. From there we'll head to Death Valley camping fees range from $12.00 to I believe $31.00 per night.
The lower fees means no hook ups but they're is showers, water, and toilets available at 3 places.
Old 01-06-2015, 03:03 PM   #25

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianne Dohei View Post
Carol - I thought it was necessary to blow the lines in order to clear water out of the hot water tank. That we aren't supposed to run the anti-freeze through the tank. Do you run it through? Have you had any issues with that?
As Jim says simple empty all the tanks including the hot water tank before adding the anti freeze. Never had any issues with using the approach I mentioned (dump out all your tanks, dump some anti freeze into the fresh tank and run the pump and open the facets to fill the lines). Also not an issues if you do happen to get some into the hot water tank! The hot water tank really does need due to its design a good cleaning out each spring regardless - failure to do so will result in a build up of crud in the bottom of it that will not only shorten its life but start to smell real bad if left in there and you use the tank or you leave the tank full of bad water in hot weather for a good stretch of time. The good thing about using the approach I mention is that the anti freeze will also go through the water pump - not so with other approaches unless you disconnect the water lines from the pump to allow it to fully drain. I know way to many folks who have had to replace water pumps each spring as they did not drain them or run anti freeze through them.

Every spring I do a good sanitizing of the whole water system. Not just because of anti freeze but because I do a lot of dry camping and have been known to get some pretty questionable water while on the road. Never have had a problem with water smelling like anti freeze or other concerns some have mentioned. Even if you did not clean it out of the tanks they can still be used it not dangerous just may have a funny smell to the water! The anti freeze is made for use in RV's and home plumbing. Heck being a Canadian I am sure you are aware the anti freeze in used in the plumbing of thousands and thousands of summer cottage all over the country! I am sure it would be a big news story every spring if people were being badly impacted due to having used anti freeze in their plumbing systems.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote