Questions on Travelling South - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-29-2014, 04:19 PM   #1

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Questions on Travelling South

Hi All - we live in the SW corner of the Province of Saskatchewan (just above Montana for those US residents who don't know where that is). We are recently retired and have decided to head south for a few weeks to get a break from winter. It isn't something we've ever done before, so I have a few questions. We plan on leaving mid-February and head straight south through Montana, Idaho, Utah and then to Arizona. Our trailer is winterized and we would have to de-winterize on the road.

So question #1 is - how far south do we have to go before we find an open campground with water hookups and dump station so we can flush out the pink stuff?

When we get to Arizona, we would like to camp somewhere for 10 days to 2 weeks to get our bearings. We would want to be able to use the camp site as a "base" while we see the sites etc. So, question #2 is, can someone offer suggestions of campgrounds we could stay at? We would want power and water hookups. And be reasonably close to a city/town for groceries, etc. Would we need to make reservations?

After that, we aren't sure if we will stay in Arizona or start wandering further afield. We would want to stay in the warmer States, but would love suggestions of places to wander to from there. Since we've never been, we don't know where to begin looking.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Dianne
Dianne Dohei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 04:57 PM   #2

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Dianne, I'm afraid I don't have information about camping along the way, but once you get to Arizona, I know that everyone that we talked into staying at the "Lost Dutchman State Park" in Apache Junction, Az., said that it was one of the best parks that they ever stayed in throughout North America. The showers are very clean, accessible, and has plenty of hot water. Mountain scenery, hiking trails & stars. For peak season I believe it is $25.00/night for dry camping, and $35.00/night full hook-ups. They are located close to town, and other sights to see in Arizona. When you have your travel plans solidified, PM us and we can give you "day trip" suggestions. There are also many RV parks in Apache Junction where you can get monthly rates.
Stay warm
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 07:28 PM   #3

Thanks Dave & Paula - I had seen in other posts that you had recommended the Lost Dutchman State Park and I did look at it. Very nice. I am guessing that February/March is considered peak season there. Thanks for the suggestion about Apache Junction. It gives us somewhere to start.

Dianne
Old 12-29-2014, 08:57 PM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
2X on the Lost Dutchman (and Paula & Dave's hospitality). Actually, any of the Arizona parks I've stayed in are worth a stop. I enjoyed Cattail Cove on Lake Haversu, and Buckskin Mountain on the Colorado River. Not as dramatic or near civilization as Lost Dutchman, but warmer in the middle of February. Buckskin is near Parker, which has a Walmart & Safeway (and not a lot else), while Cattail Cove is near Lake Havasu City, which has just about everything, including the London Bridge. Both have water & electric - a few sites at Buckskin Mountain are full hookups.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 02:34 PM   #5

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
Dianne, are you looking only for public campgrounds, like state or national parks, etc. or would you also consider private enterprise RV parks? You should be able to find RV parks all along your route that would have hook-ups. As for state parks and the like it can vary. Some close for the winter, some are open but with only limited services.

I'm not sure how far this is from you or if this is on your route, but we've stayed several times at Jim and Mary's RV Park on the outskirts of Missoula, MT. They're open year round. Full hook-ups are about $40 US.

What part of Arizona are you interested in? We love Catalina State Park near Tucson. Very close to the city but it feels like you're out in the middle of the desert. Lots of hiking trails and very pretty scenery.
Evergreengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 08:11 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Cool Places to stay

We have been going south for 5 years now and can recommend almost any park. Our first year, we stayed at Good Sam parks and have found them to be nice but expensive. You can stay one night, and if you like the park, then extend for a week.
Northern Arizona is quite high in elevation and can get cold in the summer, but as far as that goes, we had freezing temps overnight in Yuma.
Once you get to Phoenix and areas south, you can stay almost anywhere.

The worst ones we found are:
Phoenix
Welcome to the Covered Wagon RV Park. A clean, affordable, fun place to stay! Pheonix, Arizona's RV Oasis
Tucson
Whispering Palms RV Trailer Park - Tucson Arizona park is okay, but neighborhood is bad.

Some of our favorites:
Quartzsite
Quail Run RV Park - Quartzsite, Arizona
Tuscon
Home - Seniors RV Resort Mission View Communities great features Seniors RV Resort Mission View Communities great features
Phoenix
Happy Days RV Park - Apache Junction, AZ - Home

Daily rates can be $$$ so if you can stay for a week you will save.

We have had virtually no problem arriving without reservations.

One point, we are over 55 and these parks are for seniors, over 55. Also I recommend getting a pressure regulator for your water inlet. You don't want to come back after a day out to find a flooded RV so turn the water off before you leave.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 10:55 PM   #7

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Google Gilbert Ray campsite outside of Tucson, near Saguaro NP West unit. Very nice.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 11:08 PM   #8

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
I think that by the time you reach St. George, Utah (southern part of state, and not high elevation) you should be out of freezing overnight temps. But it all depends on the vagaries of weather; you might be able to de-winterize as far north as southern Idaho, if you hit a warm spell.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 07:28 PM   #9

Name: julie
Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Alabama
I would suggest re routing thru Nevada checking out cathedral gorge sp then thru parranaghat down to valley of fire. I had a memorable trip lat year in March.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
julmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 01:50 PM   #10

Thanks all for your advice. We are looking into all the options and hope to be on the road in about a month.
Old 01-04-2015, 02:35 PM   #11

Name: Pat
Trailer: Escape 17B Sold 5/2016
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by julmar View Post
I would suggest re routing thru Nevada checking out cathedral gorge sp then thru parranaghat down to valley of fire. I had a memorable trip lat year in March.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Valley of Fire looks like a great place to explore from mid October to mid March when the temperatures are more moderate. It looks like Cathedral Gorge can get rather chilly through April.
2012 4Runner Ltd
OneOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 04:07 PM   #12

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Do not forget that you will have to winterize your unit again for the trip home, so bring your antifreeze with you. I also suggest you purchase a heated water supply hose, that will allow you to keep hooked up on those marginal nights where it may get below freezing outside but you will be warm inside. Some cg have heated water supply for that reason.
Old 01-04-2015, 04:56 PM   #13

Name: Lora
Trailer: 89 Bigfoot 17G & 73 Compact II
Northern Neck, VA
Registry
Why not buy the antifreeze in the states if/when plan to re-winterize?
Lora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 07:07 PM   #14

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Since he is going south there is a probability that winter rv antifreeze may not be as prevalent there vs the colder climate areas.
Old 01-04-2015, 07:23 PM   #15

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
RV Antifreeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lora View Post
Why not buy the antifreeze in the states if/when plan to re-winterize?
We had to go to 3 different stores in Georgia in order to find 2 gallons of RV antifreeze for our trip home to Wisconsin . We now carry a couple of gallons of RV antifreeze with us when we head South in the winter. We bought Peak 50 below RV antifreeze for $1.57/gal in Wisconsin , paid 4 times that amount in Georgia
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 08:55 PM   #16

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOleMan View Post
Valley of Fire looks like a great place to explore from mid October to mid March when the temperatures are more moderate. It looks like Cathedral Gorge can get rather chilly through April.
I really enjoyed a week at the Valley of Fire in late December one year and it was very livable. Suspect someone coming from the Prairies will find it even more than livable in February

I also give Buckskin Mountain State Park on the Colorado River a thumbs up. If you go make sure you take a trip out to the Desert Bar. Ask the locals they will point you in the right direction.

Also enjoyed my time at Aqua Caliente Country Park but its in CA.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 09:26 PM   #17

Name: Lora
Trailer: 89 Bigfoot 17G & 73 Compact II
Northern Neck, VA
Registry
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
We had to go to 3 different stores in Georgia in order to find 2 gallons of RV antifreeze for our trip home to Wisconsin . We now carry a couple of gallons of RV antifreeze with us when we head South in the winter. We bought Peak 50 below RV antifreeze for $1.57/gal in Wisconsin , paid 4 times that amount in Georgia
Thanks for sharing that info. I guess I've always lived where it was readily available, at a reasonable price.
Lora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 12:42 PM   #18

I had been wondering about the issue of re-winterizing when we head back home. We would also have to blow out the water lines to do that, so will have to think about bringing our compressor to do that. Or can we rent one from somewhere? We want to minimize how much stuff we need to bring. More research!!
Old 01-05-2015, 12:53 PM   #19

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
You could do it the old fashioned way, just use the antifreeze and the water pump. You don't have to blow them out.
Old 01-05-2015, 01:44 PM   #20

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
I really enjoyed a week at the Valley of Fire in late December one year and it was very livable. Suspect someone coming from the Prairies will find it even more than livable in February
Good point, Carol! Someone from the frozen tundra might think that "chilly" weather was downright balmy!

I second the motion about Cathedral Gorge, and so does the pigeon. Pidge (pictured here, on his perch above the gorge) will be watching for your arrival.
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010168 sm.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	368.7 KB
ID:	79566
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote