quick and easy solar????? - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-06-2009, 09:58 AM   #1

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Escape ('Turtle')
Registry
Looking for recommendations for a very portable solar panel to hook up with ease to boost our battery. A forum search on solar panels brings up tons of references, excuse my laziness but in reading through several I have yet to find something simple. We do not want a roof mount.

I thought I would just buy one from Real Goods but they are out of the smaller ones. Our first weekend out in our Escape drew the battery down in short order just using the lights and heater (heater only for short time in a.m. and p.m., lights we used in evening are LEDs). We are about to set out on a week long trip and judging by the continuing cold here in the NW we will be using the heater more than we'd planned.

We have a second residence on our family property here which runs on solar (used part time by family members) and I know there are good and not so good quality panels, so hoping someone can recommend something of good quality that we might be able to order (ASAP!), receive, take along and hook up easily. Unrealistic?

thanks

Penney

Enjoy our travel photos at: Turtle Travels
Penney H. & Mike E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 11:19 AM   #2

Name: Ken
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
US
uni-solar flex panels you can roll up like a newspaper are the most portable ones I have seen. Harborfreight has some inexpensive models too.

Old 05-06-2009, 11:40 AM   #3

Trailer: Eggless at the moment
Not unrealistic at all.

Northern Tool sells a 13w folding panel.
West Marine has regular type panels
Harbor Freight has a 15w three panel setup with controller.

Most of the smaller panels come with some sort of connectors, as they do not require controllers.

Bonnie

p.s. In very general terms, the more watts you buy, the more amps will flow into your battery for charging. Just a thought.

Old 05-06-2009, 11:52 AM   #4

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft
Arizona
We got this 45 watt unit a couple of months ago and are very happy with it. We boondock almost exclusively.

It was about $200 with shipping from eBay. (It turns out it was Harbor Freight's eBay store and about $30 cheaper than their HF site.)

The panels and frame come in 4 flat boxes. After removing the packing material, I store two panels in one box and one panel and the frame in the other.

Good luck.

Name:   45w_solar.gif
Views: 210
Size:  54.3 KB

Pat
Old 05-06-2009, 12:16 PM   #5

Registry
This is all very helpful. My husband will bring home the Northern Tool catalog from work (he's a propane tech) and we'll look up what they have; I called local Marine supply places and they do not have anything in stock but could order something; will consider the Harbor Freight 45 watt but might be a little more than we want to carry or need. Some of the uni-solar models are not longer sold in the US but will look to see what is.

Thanks!

Old 05-06-2009, 12:30 PM   #6

Name: Ken
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
US
is that harborfreight unit for use with one battery or more? I noticed just one set of aligator clips in the photo. WOuld you know fi the panels are waterproof and can be left in the rain, Thanks in advance.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:37 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
Hi guys - we have used a Uni-Solar flexible panel (10.3w) for 3 years and it works great for us. It is supported on an easel-type frame so we can move it to track 'the rays' - just fold 'n go when it's time to relocate. However, we only use it for our 12-volt lighting; our only other electical draws are cell phone & laptop, which we recharge with a small inverter while driving, or using a small motorcycle-type battery kept up with smaller panels. IMHO, you need a LOT of battery storage capacity to run an electric heater - we use a small propane cat-heater (NOT while sleeping) when boondockinge

Hope this info is of help in your search. Travel safe & have fun in your wonderful Escape!
L 'n D
Old 05-06-2009, 12:50 PM   #8

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft
Arizona
Quote:
is that harborfreight unit for use with one battery or more? I noticed just one set of aligator clips in the photo. WOuld you know fi the panels are waterproof and can be left in the rain, Thanks in advance.
Ken,

The alligator clips are attached to the controller posts with ring connectors so you could add another if you want.

They are waterproof, though we have not tested this yet.

Pat
Old 05-06-2009, 02:48 PM   #9

Trailer: 17 ft Casita Liberty Deluxe
Costco.com has a coleman 60w solar kit for sale for 319.00 (CL3900).
Old 05-06-2009, 02:48 PM   #10

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
We got this 45 watt unit

Attachment 19970

Pat
I also use the Harbor Freight Solar Panels: 3 each 15 watt panels connected in parallel for 45 watts total.
Link to my installation posts
I store them in a Jackson Guitar Case that was a factory reject. The case was given to me by someone who no longer works in the industry...
Old 05-06-2009, 03:30 PM   #11

Trailer: 17 ft Casita Liberty Deluxe
Quote:
I also use the Harbor Freight Solar Panels: 3 each 15 watt panels connected in parallel for 45 watts total.
Link to my installation posts
I store them in a Jackson Guitar Case that was a factory reject. The case was given to me by someone who no longer works in the industry...
Nice set up. Is 45watt sufficient enough for boondocking for about a week or two?
Old 05-06-2009, 08:37 PM   #12

Name: Peter
Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Nice set up. Is 45watt sufficient enough for boondocking for about a week or two?
I think Fredrick's setup is my favorite portable solar solution. As for your question . . .

Whether 45 watts will do it for you or not depends on a few things. If you're a summertime camper and convert your trailer's lighting to LEDs and don't use your trailer's furnace or other electric appliances, 45 watts is more than enough. Our single 50-watt, roof mounted solar panel panel can run our LED lights, water pump, and still run our furnace to blow away the chill in the evening and morning, but not all night.

If you camp in the winter time when there is less sunlight to charge the battery it might be enough to run a set off LED lights, but you'd be out in the cold for running the furnace. (Which is why we have a Portable Buddy propane heater that keeps our trailer toasty warm for four-five hours on a one-pound propane bottle.)
Old 05-06-2009, 09:08 PM   #13

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
I just purchased 2 of these

Sun 50 Multicrystaline 50w panels

They are light as a feather, have great protected connectors, and the frame is versatile enough to give you a multitude of mounting options... or keep as portable if you wish. They are about 2x2 square.

at 185 bucks each for 50 watts, they are a MUCH better deal than the Harbor Freight/Costco set. more power, half the weight and 1/2 of the size, better quality cells and less expensive. (Generally.. sometimes the HF ones go on sale for 179)

I plan to roof mount mine, keep the 15 watter on my rock guard AND keep my 3 13 watt foldables for situations where I need more power, but I am thinking those times will be rare. If ALL my panels are deployed.. I will have 154 watts.. I think my heater will run then..
Old 05-06-2009, 09:35 PM   #14

Registry
these sounded like the best deal, but they are sold out! <_< we are running into this........summer coming, economics, everyone wants solar these days.

Tags
solar, solar panel