Quick Help! Canadian Trillium resterration in U.S - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-19-2008, 12:04 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Hello,
I want to buy the Canadian Trillium and am considering driving the 500 miles each way to do so this weekend. The trailer is in Arizona.
The seller is selling for Canadian parents and the title is to be fedexed today or tomorrow.
However, I have heard that Canadian trailers have only the original sales slip as I.D.

Is it possible to register a Canadian trailer here in the United States and particularly California?

How is it done and what documentation will I need?

The seller says she will only be in town until Sunday. Possibly poor timing?
Thank you.
Mitchell

Old 12-19-2008, 12:20 PM   #2

Trailer: 1968 Flat top Boler (serial # 92)
Quote:
Hello,
I want to buy the Canadian Trillium and am considering driving the 500 miles each way to do so this weekend.
The seller is selling for Canadian parents and the title is to be fedexed today or tomorrow.
However, I have heard that Canadian trailers have only the original sales slip as I.D.

Is it possible to register a Canadian trailer here in the United States and particularly California?

How is it done and what documentation will I need?

The seller says she will only be in town until Sunday. Possibly poor timing?
Thank you.
Mitchell
Mitch don't be rushed or pushed into a deal that may be too good to be true. We have the same type of proper registration here in Canada as you have in the states, I recently purchased a boler in Wash and got full registration papers which satisfied border people and the same would apply going other way. The Trillium would have a Provincial registration paper-if it doesn't have I would ask the seller to obtain before any money changes hands as it can be a hassle at border (they would suspect theft) Take care.

Old 12-19-2008, 01:10 PM   #3

Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
This isn't exactly the same situation, but I purchased a Trillium in Canada and brought it back and registered it in the U.S. I posted a long report about the ins and outs here: Help, last-minute problem! No title?, On the verge of hooking up to buy....

The high points:

1) Canada doesn't have "titles" for things, they have "ownership." Ownership is connected to the registration slip, so you will never have a piece of paper that is a "title."

2) It's important to know what your US state will ask of you in order to title it there; it varies from state to state and can make a big difference.

3) Your state may want you to "import" the trailer, which you can do at a US Customs port (may be an airport, etc.). Doesn't necessarily have to be at the border.

Check back if you can't find the previous thread and we can help
Old 12-20-2008, 03:46 AM   #4

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Raya

These types of questions get asked often enough regarding purchasing across the border in both directions. Sometimes it is even from State to State.

I wonder if there is some way we can collect and post the requirements for each State and Province somewhere. Aside from the requirements, there is enough experience on the board to also provide some pointers such as your "port of entry" that will make things simpler.
Old 12-20-2008, 07:08 AM   #5

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
FYI, I just edited Raya's post to add the link to the information that was posted earlier. If you've already viewed this thread, check out Raya's post above for more info.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 12:00 PM   #6

I told "the rest of the story" in a more recent thread. It was in response to a post by a woman hoping to buy a Bigfoot in Canada and bring it to the US. Not only did I tell my tale in all its glory, but several others chimed in with their experiences. I tried to search it out yesterday to link to it, but for some reason couldn't find it. I was in a bit of a rush.

Now I've found it, although I don't know how to do a fancy, embedded link:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.ph...c=32758&hl=

I also added this link to the first thread I started when I was initially buying the Boler, so that someone finding that thread can continue on to the next one.

Roy, I like your idea, but I would be a bit reluctant to post lists of states' requirements for a couple of reasons:

1) They probably change
2) I think your own particular DMV person can make a difference.

I guess it wouldn't hurt to post links to DMV websites, which would then keep things current (although what a task it would be to find each state's importation rules -- I know I was never able to find them on my DMV's website; I had to call).

I think the best situation for a prospective buyer would be to know their state's rules by (trying to) looking them up right then on their DMV website (print them out if possible), and also to call or stop in and see your local DMV counter people before going to look at the trailer.

As much as it can be a pain to stop in, I know the folks at mine were much more friendly when I went back the second time, after they'd "gotten to know me" the first time -- and had told me about an additional piece of paper they wanted (which was not mentioned by the state DMV people I had contacted by telephone).
Old 12-20-2008, 12:17 PM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Hello,
Thanks everyone.
it does not look like it will happen because I have not heard back again from the seller.
It could be sold or? The seller said she was only at the trailer's home for one more day. That was interesting since there was quite a lag time in answering emails inquiring about the trailer.
I will check with my DMV here in California to see what they need in case this comes up again.
It seems like there is a decent chance of that happening because I am looking for a Trillium.
Mitchell
Old 12-20-2008, 01:06 PM   #8

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
Ack, I feel your frustration. I missed out on two trailers this spring due to the lag time in getting my emails answered.
Old 12-20-2008, 04:00 PM   #9

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Quote:
I would be a bit reluctant to post lists of states' requirements for a couple of reasons:

1) They probably change
2) I think your own particular DMV person can make a difference.
I hear you Raya,

There is one notable difference in the US. I've noticed that some states do not require title for trailers over certain ages or under certain weights. That alone is worth posting.

There is a similar point for Canada, the agency (RIV?) that was created to process importation has a different set of rules for trailers over a certain age.
Those points would really simplify things for a lot of these older and lighter trailers.

On one hand, not having the information collected together keeps board activity.
OTOH, it can be frustrating for many of these time sensitive deals.

Personally, I think having something in both the document center and having discussions, would allow for the membership here to keep things up to date. All it would take is to provide a link at the end of the document to a thread that allows for personal experiences and little pointers such as your "port of entry" vs a "specific point of entry". Canadian rules specify importation for transfer can only occur through specific border crossings.

Edit to add:
I think quick access to the basic information would let many people get a general idea if a purchase is worth pursuing. Maybe even provide the right question to ask to make sure their needs are met. Most purchases and sales happen very quickly in comparison to other topics on the board. One usually has a lot more time to research a mod or fix than they would with making a decision on a 3 day ebay listing, or beating someone to the finish line on craigslist.
Old 12-21-2008, 06:27 AM   #10

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500 Deluxe
Hi Mitchell,
Is this the same Trillium that I talked to their daughter posted in referrals for $600?
Dave
"The Trillium King"
Old 12-21-2008, 08:15 AM   #11

Trailer: Trillium 4500 1978
In Florida you would need a bill of sale (with purchase price to collect the sales tax) from the previous owner and whatever registraton papers the previous state or government body has issued for the trrailer (signed over on the title if it has a transfer to new owner sign off information box). Florida trailers do not have a title if they are under 2000 lbs, only a registration. --Dan--
Old 12-21-2008, 12:41 PM   #12

As I understand it, the "25 years old or older" is when the US federal gov't ceases to care about a number of things. The more persnickety rules (for me with a 25+ year old trailer) were from my own state. Many more hoops to jump through than that of Florida, where, as reported by Dan just above, they don't have any different rules for a trailer coming from outside the country than they do for one you bought from the gal next door (I hope I live there the next time I purchase a foreign trailer ).

I agree that these things happen fast. A good idea would probably be to check these things out before commencing with trailer shopping, in order to be ready to jump on that trailer deal that (always!) comes up on a Sunday (my mistake was to think that by checking with US Customs, I'd done all my homework, when it was my state that actually "cared.") Also don't forget to deal with money exchange, or arrangements for such.

What I would try to do pre-purchase, in terms of registration and importation, is the following:

1) Look on the website of my state's DMV;

2) Try to call or visit the actual DMV I would be taking my paperwork to;

3) Double-check with US customs, although they seemed the most lenient;

4) Research here on FGRV, with the following caveat:

Although I'm happy to relate my experience, and give my opinions, I want to make clear that as far as anything I've written goes, I'm just explaining what happened in my own experience and not giving legal registration advice. Anything here could be wrong or could have changed by the time someone else goes to register a trailer. I don't say this in CYA mode as much as in trying to help mode. Even when I did mine, the rules were given out and enforced somewhat inconsistently, and I would hate to cause someone to have a financial/legal fiasco based on advice they read here that could be years old by the time they get to it.

But, with that in mind, happy to help if I can

Raya
Old 12-21-2008, 01:31 PM   #13

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Quote:
Florida trailers do not have a title if they are under 2000 lbs, only a registration.
Having been through this with Florida when I bought my Scamp 13' in Vermont (VT doesn't require title on any trailer less that 1,000 and the Scamp label has that fictional 950 lbs on it), I found there is a big catch in Florida -- A Scamp in Florida is NOT a trailer, it's an RV -- All RVs need titles, period!

I had a 700 lb tent trailer and it also needed a title because it's an RV.

Trailer only applies to boat and utility, not RVs, in Florida.

I had to shop around several tag offices before I was able to get a title based on VT Bill of Sale.
Old 12-22-2008, 01:23 PM   #14

Trailer: Trillium 4500 1978
Quote:
Having been through this with Florida when I bought my Scamp 13' in Vermont (VT doesn't require title on any trailer less that 1,000 and the Scamp label has that fictional 950 lbs on it), I found there is a big catch in Florida -- A Scamp in Florida is NOT a trailer, it's an RV -- All RVs need titles, period!

I had a 700 lb tent trailer and it also needed a title because it's an RV.

Trailer only applies to boat and utility, not RVs, in Florida.

I had to shop around several tag offices before I was able to get a title based on VT Bill of Sale.

Pete is right the "travel Trailer" requires a title and the utility trailer/boat trailer under 2000 lbs does not. I had to check with DMV for a complete explanation. It turns out that my trillium was mis-registered by the tag agencey. While the documentation is the same it now is going to cost me an extra $35 for a Florida "title" vrs the trailer registration they sent me, good thing I kept the old out of state title in my files. --Dan--

Tags
license, registration, title, trillium