Quick Warning..Postal People just don't care... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2017, 03:44 PM   #1

Trailer: One 13 ft Scamp and One 13 ft Trillium and Two Trillium 4500
Quick Warning..Postal People just don't care...

I recently bought a toilet that fits the Trillium's that have front toilets in them.. believe me they are very, very, hard to find.. I bought it from a really good guy David Barnes.. He boxed it up and didn't charge anything for the toilet just the shipping cost and from Canada that's not cheap for sure.. I paid the shipping cost around $150.00 and received the toilet today.. I really truly believe the postal workers took turns kicking this thing around in the warehouse before they sent it out.. David had packed it in newspaper and done a really good job, but the postal workers just done one better as you can see in the pictures...

I'm posting this so hopefully everyone can see that if you intend to send something thru the mail pack it as good as you can.. then pack that
package again and then keep BOTH fingers crossed.....
Attached Thumbnails
toilet 001.jpg   toilet 002.jpg  

toilet 003.jpg   toilet 004.jpg  

toilet 005.jpg   toilet 006.jpg  

Randy Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 04:13 PM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
That's heartbreaker. And so expensive to ship! Sheesh.

I'm just visualizing the postal workers taking turns kicking that thing around the warehouse. No wonder it takes a while for things to arrive! That took some serious kicking! Now that yours is done, they're on to someone else's item. I can almost hear it banging against the wall somewhere as they prepare it for shipping. I wonder if they get special boots for that part of the job?

Seriously though, it does seem like packages get brutal treatment sometimes. I recently received one that looked like it had been dropped form a twelve (not eleven) story building. They even handed to me with a straight face!
Old 03-24-2017, 04:18 PM   #3
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
That's just sad. I doubt you'll get anywhere recouping your losses. Insult to injury. Very sorry. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 04:54 PM   #4

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
That is too bad. I feel for you.

I will say though...USPS is probably the best when it comes to the treatment of packages. UPS is much worse.

I know from shipping musical instruments and ceramic art work that you need to pack very, very well. You honestly need to pack it with the thought in mind "if this is dropped onto concrete from four feet up, will it survive?" Because that happens.

And having worked in a warehouse for UPS for a winter, I know that in order to avoid customer complaints and get packages delivered at the promised time, you gotta move fast.

"Fast" and "careful" tend to be mutually exclusive.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 05:19 PM   #5

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
Just to take up for the Postal Workers a bit. An old, plastic item like that is often very brittle. It takes a lot less of an impact to crack and break something that has become brittle. Add to that the time of year, and the potential that the item was frozen at several points during shipment, possibly then simply dropped, and the chances for that type of damage become even greater.

Just playing devil's advocate here.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 05:41 PM   #6

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
What a huge shame! To be so close to having the exact model you want....and then....

....just a side note. Even brittle plastic packed well, if handled in a normal, respectful manner, won't shatter all on its own. However, throwing it into the truck, tossing it from bin to bin, stacking much heavier boxes on top, even if they are smaller but fit the available space, could all contribute to the mess you received.

It might be a small help, but if the sender bought the insurance the post office in Canada sells, he (and ultimately, you) should at least be able to recoup your costs.
It won't replace the toilet, unfortunately.

Will you try to fix the plastic? There are alot of places who repair such hard molded plastics now....maybe you'll get lucky.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 05:48 PM   #7

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
Insurance?
Had my own business building Canoes and shipped a $2500, Wabinaki Canoe out to Calif., from Maine.
Shipping and Insurance was paid for by customer through trucking Co.
Canoe arrived with obvious Fork truck damage.
Customer sent Pict and I sent E-mail stateing that I could repair but repair spot will always be visible....
He took E-mail to shipping co. and got 100% of purchase price + shipping from the insurance he baught for $50...not bad for him.
I'm sure he has a nice Cedar canoe with a small 4 inch patch in the fiberglass.
INSURANCE IS IMPORTANT.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 06:02 PM   #8

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
Being a retired letter carrier after 33.5 years service,, ya that's what we do
kick parcels around all day!! Had to take a back seat to the younger fellows after I was about 45 though, blew out my right knee.
C'MON, that's not how you do your job and not how we do ours!
Fred
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 06:27 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Poorly packed and brittle. That's my take.
Old 03-24-2017, 06:32 PM   #10

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
It was packed in newspaper? Then I'm not surprised by the damage! Newspaper flattens out very easily and provides extremely poor protection from impacts. This item needed to be packed properly in foam peanuts, bubble wrap, or similar materials which are specifically designed to protect package contents. IMO, wrapping items in newspaper makes about as much sense as stuffing walls with newspaper for insulation.

(edit) OMG, I just agreed with Glenn Baglo. This might be a first for me. What's the world coming to?? (winks to Glenn)
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 06:41 PM   #11

Mike,

You are making it so difficult to be a contrarian.

baglo
Old 03-24-2017, 06:53 PM   #12

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Mike,

baglo
Oh, don't worry, I'm sure you'll find more opportunities to thwart the conversation.
Old 03-24-2017, 07:54 PM   #13

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Mike,

baglo
That is saying something for someone that it comes so naturally to.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 08:04 PM   #14

I suppose you are expecting me to agree.
Old 03-24-2017, 08:05 PM   #15

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
I would be very surprised.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 09:06 PM   #16

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Glenn
I'm so confused. I do know old plastic of some kinds gets real brittle. We carefully saved a wonder horse my daughter had. It looked perfect. 25 years in the upstairs
Of our home. Disintegrated the minute her 3 year old son mounted up. Shipping damage especially on much desired and hard to find items is always disheartening.
Sorry for your bad luck.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 10:40 PM   #17

Name: J.
Trailer: Casita
Florida
I ship glass worldwide via USPS.

They might break something once every 2 or 3 years.

That was just poorly protected.
J.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 02:02 PM   #18

Trailer: One 13 ft Scamp and One 13 ft Trillium and Two Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
It was packed in newspaper? Then I'm not surprised by the damage! Newspaper flattens out very easily and provides extremely poor protection from impacts. This item needed to be packed properly in foam peanuts, bubble wrap, or similar materials which are specifically designed to protect package contents. IMO, wrapping items in newspaper makes about as much sense as stuffing walls with newspaper for insulation.

(edit) OMG, I just agreed with Glenn Baglo. This might be a first for me. What's the world coming to?? (winks to Glenn)
I really wish I would have taken a picture of it before it was unpacked, but I was soooo happy to get the thing I couldn't wait to get it open, I was like it was Christmas morning...
But and this is a big but.. The package was all beat to crap every corner was crushed in... the box was nearly round..it looked like it would roll down hill given the chance, and in my opinion the packing was done to what I would say "sufficient" not indestructible by any means but the shipper had several pieces of wadded up newspaper all around it, at lease 4" thick.. But by the way that thing looked, it could have been packed in 10' of foam rubber and it still would have been crushed. I think it took a lot to crack in down the front like it is.
As far as it being brittle... "I DON"T THINK SO" because I took some of the broken off pieces and they were pliable meaning I could bend them without them breaking.. I didn't double the pieces all the way over because I want to try and glue everything back together if there is ANYWAY possible because I know I will probably never find another one...
If by chance someone has one I sure would like to buy it. I know the post office would like to start the second half of "kick the crap out of it"...
Randy Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 02:16 PM   #19
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Look for a business that does "plastic fabrication" as they would have the skill and tools (proper solvent for that type of plastic) to repair this. Worst case is that they might have to fabricate a few small pieces to get a proper seal that might not match the color - but you could always paint over the repair with Krylon Fusion spray paint that's specifically formulated to bond to plastic without a primer.

I've repaired some 30+ year old plastic items - glue won't hold, particularly if you need a water tight seal. Solvent welding creates a bond without filler between the plastic pieces.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 05:24 PM   #20

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRED SMAILES View Post
Being a retired letter carrier after 33.5 years service,, ya that's what we do
kick parcels around all day!! Had to take a back seat to the younger fellows after I was about 45 though, blew out my right knee.
C'MON, that's not how you do your job and not how we do ours!
Fred
I am not going go postal about postal workers here.. (BTW, I'll bet they hate that expression!)

In fact many years ago I sent myself a letter as a test, addressed only to:
1492, 13760

That was the ONLY marking I put on the envelope. And guess what. It was delivered correctly, with a hand written note, "PO box?" Yes, it was a PO Box and Zip code - thats all. Nice work USPS!

But Fred, as you are an insider, I do want to ask you if you think things have changed in the last few years. After seeing great service from USPS for decades, it seems to me that in the last few years the level of service and professionalism has diminished. I get a lot of mail for someone a few streets over with the same house number but a very different street name. And I had a vacation hold two years ago where the carrier held my mail for the wrong week. So... the week before my vacation I got no mail, and the week I was gone, it was all left in my mailbox.

And it seems like popular expression,
"Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds"
Could now be replaced by... "If schools are closed, so are we."

Maybe I have just had some back luck but I was wondering if the USPS is not as great a place to work anymore and that that has affected moral.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote