Quiet Generators - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-06-2016, 12:16 PM   #15

Name: Bruce
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft RQ
Missouri
I have not done any generator research for three or four years. To me the cat's meow would be a generator with remote start (with a key fob like your car). The only ones I saw the last time I looked were larger, heavier generators. I am a fairly stout guy but I don't want to be loading and unloading a 150 lb generator.

Old 01-06-2016, 02:37 PM   #16

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
When researching make sure you read the find print as to the distance from the generator the manufacturer used to determine their advertised sound level. There can be a BIG difference..... some might appear to have the same sound level but one manufacturer may be measuring at 5' away while another manufacture will be measuring at 25' away.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 03:39 PM   #17

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, Tacoma 4.0L 4door, SB
ex VT, now CO
Fuel cells? Those are noiseless, except for a cooling fan...

...however, they are not for those of us in the Scamp price bracket. Sigh.
Old 01-06-2016, 05:05 PM   #18

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4
SW Florida
Powermate 2000I Portable Inverter Generator - Walmart.com works fine to me. I paid $360 for it a year ago.

My common rule is to never buy brand name items. They are overpriced.
Old 01-06-2016, 05:53 PM   #19

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokhapkin View Post
My common rule is to never buy brand name items. They are overpriced.
Being a contractor that uses my tools for a living, I would not consider anything but the best brand name products. They are definitely pricier, but they pay for themselves in many ways.

Firstly, they last many times longer. I was once told that you can spend double the money for tools you pass off to your kids, rather than spending half the money to replace them in short order. I have definitely found this to be true.

Secondly, they often do a better job, and when quality work matters, quality tools must be used.

And thirdly, they are usually more ergonomically designed, making them easier to use, which is very important when putting a few hours a day on them, and not being fatigued.

That said, I agree with what most said, and would only buy a Honda or Yamaha genset. I have owned a few of each, currently have a 3000W Yamaha inverter, and the only problem I ever had with them, is that thieves like to target them. I have had a couple go missing from jobsites, and one was stolen from a locked shed on our rec property.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 06:00 PM   #20

SW Florida
What is better to you - honda generator for $1000 which will last for 10 years or no-name generator for $400 which will last for 5 years? I prefer to replace cheap things with a new ones. Inverter generator is not a long time durable item. Technology evolves.
Old 01-06-2016, 06:07 PM   #21

SW Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Being a contractor that uses my tools for a living
Here lies the main difference. I agree that durable stuff is essential if you make a living on it. But there is absolutely no need to purchase reliable durable stuff for occasional use.
Old 01-06-2016, 06:13 PM   #22

Name: Steve
Trailer: Casita
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce H View Post
I have not done any generator research for three or four years. To me the cat's meow would be a generator with remote start (with a key fob like your car). The only ones I saw the last time I looked were larger, heavier generators. I am a fairly stout guy but I don't want to be loading and unloading a 150 lb generator.
www.pinellaspowerproducts.com for remote kits. No pecuniary interest or personal experience.
Old 01-06-2016, 06:19 PM   #23

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokhapkin View Post
What is better to you - honda generator for $1000 which will last for 10 years or no-name generator for $400 which will last for 5 years? I prefer to replace cheap things with a new ones. Inverter generator is not a long time durable item. Technology evolves.
I just bought the Honda 2K after thinking about it for a long time. I am usually pretty cheap, but also very risk averse. I felt that while the Honda may not have been the best choice, it certainly was not a wrong choice. In the end, and at my age and "station in life", I decided that I would bite the bullet and have the Honda I always wanted. There are a lot of things that I can not afford to buy the best, but in this instance I could, so did.
Old 01-06-2016, 06:54 PM   #24

Name: jim
Trailer: Escape 21 Nov.2016
Florida
Registry
gensets

I bought a gen-set from Sams club it was a Black Max inverter 1000 watt ,900 watt continuous. I bought it to run a 5000 btu A/C on our Cuddy cabin boat and works fine . It also will run the 8000 btu A/C on our Lil Snoozy with everything else off .No water heater or charger on
We also own a 2400 inverter watt Yamaha and it will run everything on the Lil Snoozy and it is quieter then the Black Max 1000 . Eventually I might just sell the 2 gen-sets and buy a 2000 yamaha
Old 01-06-2016, 08:03 PM   #25

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
I've purchased a lot of crap tools from Harbor Freight because I needed to fix ONE thing. Knowing that I wouldn't need that tool again for years. Fixed what needed to be done and Yes, that tool went into the garbage.

But, looking to the future... what is it I NEED? No matter the product, I look to warranty, customer service (can I call and talk to someone?), are there readily available parts to fix the problem? A service center to help me?

I can't imagine boondocking in Arizona (Quartzite) with a no-name generator and having it die... there isn't an extension cord long enough to run the A/C!

In the end, the decision is YOURS. Not my budget and not my time. It's all good.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 08:22 PM   #26

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 17' DLX
Alaska
Registry
FWIW, the Harbor Freight generator mentioned is not C.A.R.B. compliant, thus not sold in California (in case anyone in Cali is considering one).
Old 01-06-2016, 11:37 PM   #27

Name: John
Trailer: 16' Casita
California
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
I'm an old guy who has learned anything from Harbor Freight with any moving parts are going to die at the most inopportune time.
If you but anything electrical buy their warranty as you may need it.
Old 01-07-2016, 05:49 AM   #28

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2003 Casita 16' SD
Michigan
Registry
I bought a Sears table saw years ago. I eventually realized it had a left and right crown in the table top. To get a perpendicular cut I had to set the blade tilt differently depending on which side of the blade the wood was. And that was even after I had the top replaced which also was bowed. I had a cheap B&D jig saw. Never a square cut (blade bending out of square in curved cuts. Bought a quality one (Bosch) and never had a problem. It seems like early on I bought two of many tools. The first cheap one and later another one to get some quality. My motto in later years has been, “Buy the best and cry (at the price) only once.” Cheaper in the long run. I wonder how many try a new hobby, get crap results, and decide it’s not for them. When the real problem is they bought cheap to start with. I suggest you buy quality and least have some resale value if you change your mind.

In the case of generators, any time I’ve compared specs from the Honda or Yamaha to HF, CostCo, etc. brands they aren’t the same let alone better. Only cheaper. I only buy HF for disposable hand tools. I bring them to the boat because I’m always knocking them overboard. Vinyl gloves, zip ties, etc. are examples of disposal items I’ll get from there.

I’m not going to convince anyone, especially after they’ve already bought something. There’s ego involved, on both sides. Few people have the honesty to admit they either overpaid or bought a POS item. This seems like a discussion for the undecided future purchaser.

Tags
generator