Quiet Generators - Page 6 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-05-2016, 08:10 AM   #71

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by janisg View Post
If I have a solar panel would I also need a generator? I thought solar panels took the place of using a generator. I'm new to camping and don't know anything.
Depends on your style of camping.

I have a 40W solar and its all I have ever needed to keep my battery topped up - using the water pumps for showers and dishes, all the lights (LEDS), Fantastic Fan and furnace as needed & recharging phone, iPads and camera batteries. Fridge runs on propane so no power draw.

I do not use AC or a TV when off the grid.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 09:14 AM   #72

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 13
None
Both?

Quote:
If I have a solar panel would I also need a generator? I thought solar panels took the place of using a generator. I'm new to camping and don't know anything.

While I have no real-world experience with RVing, and come from a Backpacking background, I have done a lot of research and reading. A point I read/saw expressed a while back made complete sense to me.

The advice was to get a generator first as it will work no matter where you travel or park and is independent of the prevailing weather. When you can afford it, add solar to reduce your dependence on the generator as it is more aesthetically pleasing and more pleasant to use, for both you and your neighbors.

Guess it would all depend on how addicted to electricity you are, and what hardship you would feel if deprived temporarily. I could go without for quite some time if necessary, but my trailer is pretty basic, no furnace, no electric water pump, no water heater. Could re-charge the battery/phone/camera off the tow vehicle

Old 02-05-2016, 10:15 AM   #73

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Oswego, NY
Registry
Quote:
Along with your camping style, it depends on the time of year you camp. I started out with one 95 watt solar panel on the roof of my trailer. No generator, and a 1000 watt inverter. During the summers, with high angle sun & long days, this was plenty to keep a pair of 6V batteries charged; even allowed me to make a pot of drip coffee most mornings. No microwave and, of course, no battery powered air conditioning.

Winter camping, even in the reasonably warm southwest is a different story. The short days & low angle sun doesn't provide enough energy, particularly since you tend to run the furnace more than in the summers. I added a 160 watt portable panel to make up for the winter conditions & to provide charging when I was parked in the shade.

This year I added a 100 watt panel to the roof so that I didn't have to get out & set up the portable. Here at Quartzsite during the winter, I've been using all three panels & have managed to survive without a generator even through a couple of days without sunlight.

I do use more battery power than many - I have a cell phone amplifier that draws 2 amps, a very power hungry laptop I use for editing photographs, phone & camera battery chargers, and, as I mentioned, like to make a pot of coffee each morning. The coffee pot draw 60 amps for about 8 minutes. Some mornings I toast an English muffin in a toaster that draws 70 amps for 5 minutes. I could certainly get away with less solar and smaller batteries, however the combination lets me live the way I want without needing a generator.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 10:22 AM   #74

Name: Darral
Trailer: Scamp Standard 13' 2010
Tennessee
janis--- lots and lots of discussions concerning gens vs solar. Just two TOTALLY different beasts/usage. You cannot run an A/C off of solar- yet. Alot on this forum say they use solar because they dont need an A/C so therefore no gen.

I live in the south where it's VERY humid in the summer time. I cannot sleep in the humidity being used to airconditioning so I will not be without it. So for me, solar is useless.

But 95% of the time, I camp with full hookups and only use the gen when I'm camping out somewhere where it wont be a nuisance.

So hopefully, you can see my comparisons and get a "feel" of why someone will use one over the other.

Quote:
Old 02-05-2016, 11:51 AM   #75

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
janis--- lots and lots of discussions concerning gens vs solar. Just two TOTALLY different beasts/usage. You cannot run an A/C off of solar- yet. Alot on this forum say they use solar because they dont need an A/C so therefore no gen.

I live in the south where it's VERY humid in the summer time. I cannot sleep in the humidity being used to airconditioning so I will not be without it. So for me, solar is useless.

But 95% of the time, I camp with full hookups and only use the gen when I'm camping out somewhere where it wont be a nuisance.

So hopefully, you can see my comparisons and get a "feel" of why someone will use one over the other.
While I also live in the South I find some of the year I get by with no heat or A/C at home and can certainly do it camping. We went back in October for a few days here in North Florida and were very comfortable without A/C or heat. Again between Christmas and New Years for a week although we ran just a little heat at night. More blankets would have done the same.

I have relayed before that as a young Boy Scout in this same area we camped year round without electricity or propane and did fine sleeping in tents. We did pick our weekends though to avoid the worst of the heat or cold. These days I have to go camping when I can and I want a few more comforts than a sleeping bag on the cold, hard ground.
Old 02-05-2016, 01:08 PM   #76

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
We have a 100 watt solar panel and no generator . When the weather is hot , we get a campsite with electricity for the A/C otherwise the solar is more than ample. The State , county and most private campgrounds in our area do not allow generators but none object to solar. Dragging along a 100 lb generator , fuel and ruining other people's peace and quiet is something I choose not to do.
Old 02-05-2016, 01:39 PM   #77

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
I have both portable solar panels and a Honda genset, no air conditioning.
If I can, I leave the genset at home for the reasons given above.
And, if you buy a generator, you have to maintain it. Run it from time to time, change the oil, replace the gas.
Attached Thumbnails
Solar Honda w.jpg  
Old 02-15-2016, 10:12 AM   #78

Name: Ches
Trailer: 1992 Kustom Koach 17 FT
British Columbia
Funny that there is no mention of the Kipor Inverter . I had one and it ran fine and was quiet also. It was a 3000 unit and a Honda knock off. When ran under load side by side with a Honda, you could not tell the difference in sound from same distance. I sold it too my brother in law and he used it for years in Arizona when boon docking. He still has it. I down sized back to a 17ft FG RV and now have a small Honda 350 gen set. During my cross Canada trip last summer I used it once when weather got bad and was raining so watched some TV rather than using up my battery power. I run 2 batteries . No A/C . I am completly self contained with a 350 watt inverter and never had any problems with power.
Old 05-24-2016, 10:05 AM   #79

Name: Brenda
Trailer: Scamp
Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Brenda, my Honda 2000 ran my 9000btu roof air for 8 1/4 hrs on a tank of fuel. As Trackors1 said the genset has the eco mode. Mine only ran at half throttle when the air was running. Using the microwave or coffee pot it runs full throttle.
Thanks Borrego Dave & Tractors 1.

We ended up getting a Generac IX2000 from Costco. Mixed reviews, but my FIL gifted it for my birthday, so yay! We are going to test it out this weekend. I'll see if it runs the A/C, but I'm not counting on it.
Old 05-24-2016, 10:53 AM   #80

Name: Michael
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B25RQ
BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anita View Post
I have read a lot of posts. Seems like a 3000 watt is what is needed. Has anyone used or neighbored with someone using an Atima 2000 watt. Claims to use the Yamaha engine half the cost?s
We have been using a EU3000i Honda for a few years. It took some discipline not to go for a knock off to save some money but real glad we went with this model.

Knock offs might seem practical up front but but they won't have the quietness, stamina or long term value of the Honda. IMO

BTW Honda's EU3000 is slightly quieter than the 2000.

@Chester - Is your 350 a 2 stroke or a 4? And you use it to top up your batteries, correct?
Old 05-25-2016, 08:13 PM   #81

Name: Michael
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B25RQ
BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_bc View Post

@Chester - Is your 350 a 2 stroke or a 4? And you use it to top up your batteries, correct?
Chester I misread your post. Question is answered.
Carry on....

Tags
generator