QUIET LP HEAT, No electricity & vented - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-11-2011, 01:31 PM   #1
Name: Doc
Trailer: TrailsWest CAMPSTER 1970
QUIET LP HEAT, No electricity & vented

Watching David So's thread has been interesting on this subject.
I am a boonDOCer and do not like hook-up camping areas.... So....I want my Campster to be able to self sustain for a week or 10 days on the cabin battery and 20 lbs. of Propane. I am still searching for an old Hydro Flame gravity flow, fanless furnace. If you have one let me know.

Todays searching found me searching MARINE type heating. Sig Marine makes one wall mount for $ 464 that is...
vents to the outside
It has two heat settings, 4000 or 6000 BTU. It's stainless steel and brass in color.....the same company makes a fan model that is a fireplace type with a low draw Amp fan.....I also found a LP fireplace
for a larger cabin.....SEE ATTACHED PHOTOS
Doc the boonDOCer @ campfrugal
Attached Thumbnails
vented no fan.jpg   Sig Marine $ 779.jpg  

InteriorFire2.jpg   Hydro Flame-old.jpg  

campfrugal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 06:05 PM   #2
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Doc, the only thing I can point you towards is a topic by Gina D. She talked about a "Blue Flame" heater here: I am a BAD Mommy I like the looks of Gina's heater, but according to her posts you'd need to keep an eye on it...

Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 08:02 PM   #3
Name: David
Trailer: 16 foot Scamp
The Sig unit burns a lb of fuel every 7 hours on the lowest setting. That would empty a bottle in about 5 days. In really cold weather you could driain it down faster. I like the simplicity and the fact it is vented. One problem with any heater that mounts on the wall like that is finding a spot for it. I have used vented Wave cats for years, and the mounting is one reason I'd rather do something else. They all get hot! Both the Wave and the Sig are also not thermostat controlled.

The ventless blue flame heaters look attractive, but they warn against use in small confined areas. I looked all over to see if I could find out why. No documents, but I'm pretty sure I know why. Flame combustion creates CO. Most people don't know it, but catalytic heat also generates CO. The reason they can sell them as "ventless" is because they assume a certain air volume in the room and that keeps the concentration of CO below the dangerous threshold as defined by EPA. In the case of the blue flame, I'd bet you a box of donuts that the CO level in a confined area like an RV can rise above the maximum EPA spec for a space heater. The cats run below that level. Bear in mind that these levels might not make you obviously sick! I've read several technical documents on the subject including a goverment study on cat heaters done by EPA engineers. The findings of that report led me to design a ventilated box / heat exchanger for the Wave cats. I've used them in 3 different campers including a a small truck camper. They also eliminate most of the moisture.

Here's the stinker. The EPA ratings and levels for space heaters are meant to address immediate threat to life or well being. The long term effects of very low exposure to CO are not well documented. At least I couldn't find them. Knowing what I know though, I would not use any ventless heater in an RV, not even a cat.

I'm a lifelong boondocker so I've been on this trail a long time to find what you describe Doc. Everything is a tradeoff! When you talk about heat efficiency, you have to factor in all those times when you have all the windows open because the cat (or whatever) is overheating the small space. I think a properly sized and regulated furnace may actually be one of the best options, but that is what I'm investigating now. I even had one trailer with a custom built woodstove in it . Like I said, I've been around this block a few times.

DavidSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 02:48 PM   #4
Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
The Trillium trailers have a Duo-Therm gravity furnace. Vented, and no fan. They are rather large, and not very efficient, but might be what you are looking for.
I am not sure how you would get one.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 03:38 PM   #5
Name: Doc
Trailer: TrailsWest CAMPSTER 1970
Thank you David S and David T.

Doc the boonDOCer at campfrugal
campfrugal is offline   Reply With Quote