Quote for Trailer Repair - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2010, 10:25 PM   #1

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
Registry
Quote for Trailer Repair

hey all,

finally took my CT in to have a basic inspection. i live in a condo with no space to do anything significant on my own. so i took it to some RV techs who for $100 did something of an inspection and for $100 they installed new hubs, and wheels. i asked about the holes i have on my trailer tubing (behind the wheels) and the tech told me after the inspection that the rust was fairly extensive (which i would agree - its clean through).

he proposed to cut out the bad section and replace it with new steel with welded braces on both sides so as not to replace the entire section. i am blown away that this will cost about $800 - but i dont really know anything about these. i just got one a few months ago and i understand the techs here make between $100-120 an hour. he seemed legit - i asked about replacing the bolts that fix the egg to the trailer and he said that to replace all 21 bolts it would be another $900 as it would be a frame-off job.

just wanted to see if you good folks think these quotes are reasonable as i have no experience. i'm afraid i'm about to spend more on repairs than i did for the CT in the first place - but dont mind that so much if it will bring us another 25 good years. i do think i will hold off on the bolt replacement as he did say that while all the bolts were rusty (as they are constantly exposed to the elements), none appear to be rotten or broken. he also added if i did a lot of the removal of the floor (i plan to remove the old carpet and add wood flooring) and exposed as many bolts as possible, that would have an significant impact on the labor for a frame-off job.

any advice is much appreciated as they are waiting for me to give the trailer repair a thumbs up or not.

cheers,
Paul
Paul Chet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 11:05 PM   #2

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Paul, just my thought(s) but I doubt it would cost much more to have a whole new frame welded up. At that time, you could make frame mods, such as lengthening it and/or look into an axle swap, adding trailer brakes if they aren't already on the axle, etc! New anchor bollts could/would be installed at that time. The frame could even be 'treated' (powder coated for extra rust resistance) or just undercoated at that time.

It has become obvious (to me) that any and all projects that HAVE to be 'farmed out' to the experts USUALLY means E X P E N $ E !!!!
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 11:31 PM   #3

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Paul,
Why don't you take it to an actual welding shop?
You will probably get a more competent welder as that is their profession and probably for less money.
I'm an old guy that has had RVs most of my life. I have found that RV dealers are always the most expensive way to go. They think we're all made of money.
John
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 05:40 AM   #4

Trailer: 1984 U-Haul / 02 Mazda pick up
I think it's total bull that they said it was a frame off job just to replace the mounting bolts. Seems to me you could do this yourself one at a time. ( with another person's help )
Bud Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 06:40 AM   #5

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
I answered your email Paul.
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 07:28 AM   #6

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
Registry
thanks guys - this was a huge help. you ever get that feeling of being pressured but dont know enough to explain your opinion? well this was such a situation. i'd pay $1000 for them to take off the egg and replace the trailer - but not for a spot weld with the egg still attached (which i had heard is risky as it could damage the glass).

this helps me decide to hold off and do the darned thing myself. i want to replace the wiring and water lines as well so i may as well wait a few months to move into a house (a huge part of my wanting to rent a house is to have a garage and my tools out of storage so i can do things myself), remove the frame myself with some help from friends, and as suggested, take it to a welder, then paint it myself with Rust Bullet or something similar.

i guess i just needed to hear what some of the seasoned veterans here thought. thank you all so much for your valuable input. i'll chime in again once i begin the work in earnest!
Paul Chet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 07:58 AM   #7

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
I'd like to see pictures of the problem area's if possible..........Bruce
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote