Rail mounting for bag awning 13 ft scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2017, 01:44 PM   #1

Name: Ron
Trailer: Scamp 13
Florida
Rail mounting for bag awning 13 ft scamp

Where exactly do you mount it to hit a brace it do u take what u get it is a 6 ft bag awning appreciate help on where and how to determine where
Stump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 10:27 PM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stump View Post
Where exactly do you mount it to hit a brace it do u take what u get it is a 6 ft bag awning appreciate help on where and how to determine where
Welcome to FGRV Ron. I think know what you're asking but the text type message is kind of hard to read . There really isn't any bracing to anything in the interior for a rail, just the shell. Being eggs don't have the standard top edge like a sticky, the position is best determined by the body and upper door clearance and length of the awning. A longer mounted rail and a shorter awning is fine too. If you get a larger awning in the future, the rail is already there .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 11:02 PM   #3

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
While my trailer is not a Scamp, I removed the Fiamma factory installed awning that came with my trailer originally, (which I didn't like at all,) and installed a Keder rail for a slide-in awning. As with most fiberglass trailers, there really isn't anything you would call a "brace" in them, but structurally, the fiberglass shell is sufficient in strength as it is to support the rail. That said, I will show you what I did on mine, which may at least give you some ideas on installing your awning rail. I mounted about a 7' piece of Keder rail on mine, securing it with several 1/4" X 20 stainless steel bolts with washers and nuts on the inside. I'm not sure of the interior layout of Scamps, but in my Casita, all the bolts are drilled through and mounted inside the overhead cabinetry, so nothing shows in the trailer, (not that it would necessarily be bad, but aesthetically, it isn't an "eyesore" since they are hidden.
Attached Thumbnails
Keder Rail2.JPG   Keder Rail3.JPG  

Keder Rail1.JPG  
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 12:49 AM   #4

California
Hi Greg, I've seen your pics before but guess it didn't register that your rail stops short of the door. What was the reason for not going longer and having the door included under cover?
Old 05-24-2017, 04:22 AM   #5

Florida
Much thanks that is a major insight thanks once again Ron no
Old 05-24-2017, 04:24 AM   #6

Florida
G reg thanks again it was a great help ron
Old 05-24-2017, 08:52 AM   #7

Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Hi Greg, I've seen your pics before but guess it didn't register that your rail stops short of the door. What was the reason for not going longer and having the door included under cover?
Hi Dave,

The reasons I stopped short of extending it over the door was two-fold.

First, (and most people with an awning that goes over the door has probably dealt with this issue on occasion,) is that if the rigged out awning is angled too low, it chafes on the top of the door when you open and close it, wearing on the awning fabric. I know they make roller devices to stick on the top of the doors to prevent that from happening, but those rollers look ugly and I didn't want to go that route. Heck, I didn't even like the Fiamma awning, which I sold, because I thought that it too, ruined the lines of the trailers' symmetry, but that's just me I guess.

The second reason is that, if I wanted to mount a rail full length I would have had to mount it up higher on the roof, well above the door opening, which would make it a bit of a challenge and impractical to load the rope & pole or bag awning into the rail track. I'm relatively tall (6'2") but if I mounted it that high up I would need a ladder or something to stand on to reach it. As it is now, I can insert and guide it into the track while standing on the ground, but still have enough headroom under it when deployed to not have to walk around like Quasimodo while using it.

If I am going to be set up somewhere for more than a few days, I'll just pop up my Clam shelter. But for short stays of maybe a day or two, I'll just use my slide-in awning. Even though it's only 7' wide and goes out 10', it is enough cover to have a picnic table and cooking stove under with room to sit. Works for us anyway.

Greg
Old 05-24-2017, 11:52 AM   #8

Name: Lee
Trailer: Casita
California
Where does one purchase a bag awning or the rail? This is just what I want to do on my LD...great info sir, thanks.
Leej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 01:05 PM   #9

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
My Scamp's Dometic Catalina's brace hits in two closets. They use custom braces that utilize two bolts per brace on each end. 7 yrs it's still holding fine.

Here's a link to the "gutter" i added to my awning to keep water, leaves, etc. from running down the side of the Scamp while the awning was deployed.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/503516...57629703675489

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stump View Post
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 02:11 PM   #10

Name: Steve
California
check this thread.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...amp-37219.html
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 07:20 PM   #11

California
Thanks Greg, I kind of figured it was for the door clearance....but you dun fooled me with making it easier to slide the bag on .
Old 05-24-2017, 11:15 PM   #12

Name: Jan
Trailer: boler
British Columbia
my 73 boler has the metal track full length above the door, not sure if its original and it has a bag awning attached in the rail. I have driven quite far with this set up with no problems. Only problem is the vinal bag is not very waterproof any more. Easy to roll out and set up on extension poles
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0550.jpg  
Jan Dyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 01:34 PM   #13

Name: Marilyn
Trailer: 13 ft 2005 Scamp Deluxe; 2002 Subaru V6 Outback
Oregon
Hi, Greg;
I was getting ready to replace my Catalina 2500 awning with a Flamma because of the raves on this site. Reason to replace: the self-retracting Catalina is too hard for me to put back together by myself...it's a 2-person job and my dog hasn't learned how.

What didn't you like about the Flamma?
M Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 04:20 PM   #14

Washington
Registry
Hi Marilyn,
First, I will say that many people have, and like, their Fiamma awnings. I'm not one of them. Perhaps I'm in the minority camp on this issue, but for me anyway:

1.) I thought it looked ugly and made the whole symmetry of the trailer look unbalanced. (OK, so I'm a bit anal on symmetry.) The whole installation looked like some "afterthought" to try to solve a problem while creating more problems.

2.) I especially didn't like the fact that it didn't fit tightly against the side of the trailer, while my Keder rail awning does. It's not the awnings fault, but when you try to adapt an awning which was designed to be mounted flat against a vertical side wall of a trailer, (more typical of "stick-built" types,) than to the rounded top/side of a molded fiberglass trailer, well, it just doesn't work right. I see that you too are from the PNW, so I'm sure you are quite aware that we tend to use our awnings as much, if not more, for rain shelter than sun shade. A task it is not well suited to on these trailers. On my Casita, the inept design of the factory mounting brackets left a gap an inch wide between the trailer shell and the awning. When it rained, the water would just cascade down the side of the trailer through the gap and splash off when it hit the "belly band" making everything within a couple of feet of the side of the trailer wet. What good is that? Yes, there have been many "modifications" done to work around this shortcoming, and I too tried several of them before deciding it just wasn't giving me a "warm and fuzzy" that I wanted. Most offered less than desirable results, and usually resulted in a stagnant pool of stinky standing water and debris in that "trough," suitable for raising frogs in. Attempting to clean it was even worse, in large part, (again,) due to the silly design of the afterthought mounting brackets which made it very difficult, if not nearly impossible, to clean.

3.) Don't even think of ever walking away from your deployed Fiamma awning, not even for a few minutes, lest you come back to it bent all-to-hell and wrapped around your trailer's roof, caused by that rogue gust of wind that just came out of nowhere... If the wind kicks up, and you're not right there to reel it in, woe be unto you and you probably just ruined your shiny new $1,000 awning, and probably several other elements of your trailer's anatomy.

I could go on and on, ad nauseum, but I think you get some idea of some of my reasoning for being gladly rid of it.

In your case, if it were me, I'm not sure that I would even replace that Catalina awning with another one, versus just a standard light-weight Rope & Pole awning. If you don't feel like making your own, I would highly recommend Marti who would custom make it to whatever specifications you would want. Just my 2 cents.

Vintage Trailer Awnings

Happy Camping,
Greg
Old 05-26-2017, 04:45 PM   #15

Name: Marilyn
Trailer: 13 ft 2005 Scamp Deluxe; 2002 Subaru V6 Outback
Oregon
Awning

Thanks for the tip for Marti's Awnings...beautiful fabrics. Even she suggests getting a helping hand to retract the awning. Looks like I'd better solo practice, practice, practice with my Catalina..it's in great shape, just stronger than me. I was concerned about the curve on my Scamp and the price tag to purchase/install.

Think I'll look into a wing tarp....lots of uses.
M Scott is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, scamp