Randy B. Re-Heater/furnace it is on it's way! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2017, 02:04 AM   #1

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Randy B. Re-Heater/furnace it is on it's way!

Randy I now understand why the seller did not want to ship this to you. I had to do a lot of work to get it to you and I almost gave up by sending your money back including the original cost, almost was to the point of finding a local buyer. This heater is made not that far from u in Indianna, pretty sure you could buy a new one for about $500.00 and saved me a lot of trouble.
Dealing the US Border guards is not a nice way to go, I almost ended up in their jail overnight but my wife got us through the ordeal and we got turned around and let out of the USA and back to home base which at the moment is the best place in the world to live right now and that place is called Canada.
So now to try and figure out a way to get this to you without having to go back and deal with the Cargo department at the US border where I would have to fill out a ton of paperwork and answer more questions than I can give a truthful answer to.
My wife went on line and came up with what I thought was a really good shipping cost, so off we went to Greyhound, but it ended up with me going back home again (this time was almost quits for you ever receiving this item), they change my wife's internet price to $254.95 from around $100.00.
Now I loaded er back up into the car and headed for home, fed up with the whole thing, I sat down and watched a bit of the old tube thinking about all the hassle I have gone through trying to ship a simple item like a furnace that can be vented out the side of the trailer. I phoned Greyhound and asked if I got the box down to a certain size which was going to be hard to do because of the vented Chimney adding height to it if it would be cheaper.
They gave me a price I could live with but again it was more than I had received and to just get rid of it my wife gave me several errands to go on and she downsized the box quite a bit so next day being Thursday Evening we took it down to Greyhound again they weighed it and measured it again and we got it down to $194.00 as I was so fed up with this ordeal I ate $30.00. So just so you all know it does not pay to be a good person in helping another. I forgot to mention the package should be there mid week next week.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 07:12 AM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Unfortunately what you encountered at the US border will probably only get worse . We are considering canceling our annual fishing trip to Canada (39th) . We are not worried about getting into Canada but more that we will not be allowed to return to the US
On second thought that may be a blessing in disguise , for us not Canada.

Way to much time and effort on your part , If it was me the furnace would still be sitting in my shed.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 09:24 AM   #3

Trailer: One 13 ft Scamp and One 13 ft Trillium and Two Trillium 4500
Believe me I wish you would have never said you would help me get this thing because I feel like it's been "MY FAULT" for all this hassle... If I owe you more money let me know and I'll send it..
And from now own if something is for sale in Canada I'll look at it as if it's for sale on Mars.... I've sent several items to people in Canada and never had this problem and some was in very large boxes... Wonder why there's a problem leaving Canada to come here but not the other way around...
Now it's been probably over a year and a half since a mailed something out
that was big, things may have changed since then I don't know... I promise never to get anyone to try this again and want to thank you for all your help and the trouble you've had to endure......
Randy Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 10:38 AM   #4

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Randy Not your fault at all, I often do things like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Bishop View Post
Believe me I wish you would have never said you would help me get this thing because I feel like it's been "MY FAULT" for all this hassle... If I owe you more money let me know and I'll send it..
And from now own if something is for sale in Canada I'll look at it as if it's for sale on Mars.... I've sent several items to people in Canada and never had this problem and some was in very large boxes... Wonder why there's a problem leaving Canada to come here but not the other way around...
Now it's been probably over a year and a half since a mailed something out
that was big, things may have changed since then I don't know... I promise never to get anyone to try this again and want to thank you for all your help and the trouble you've had to endure......
:But this is the first time I have had this kind of problem at the border. 2 years ago I took 8 Barrels full of Studebaker parts to Spokane, we had a bit of a problem as pulled inside but were on the road a hour later. Previous to that I have taken parts over to others, never a problem as long as I gave the worth I was giving away, I never charged for the parts, just cleaning up our property and trying to recycle way back when which is something we do a lot of up here.
Nope not your fault but this time I learned a big lesson to do with how bad it is in getting anything from Canada to the USA, when at the Border I saw 3 nice looking collector cars and from the looks of it the guy was having a bit of a problem in getting them across but after 4 days he made it.
People are transporting cars, trucks, trailers etc all the time but I have never seen the likes of this for a small we heater for a trailer.
Could of been I was being honest and not telling a lie or that I was the 3rd party, would of been better if the original seller was doing it who knows. From now on I will let my wife and sister in law deal with the Border and travel in Canada & the Yukon, possibly Alaska but will have to see how they are treating Canucks going there this year with the new President in power.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 01:43 PM   #5

Name: Randy
Trailer: In the Market
Oregon
Saw this post thought it was directed at me .... was good for a laugh..
Randy B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 01:51 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
This type of discussion should be held via PM, not on the forum for all to see. I would suggest any further correspondence be done this way.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 02:47 PM   #7

Trailer: One 13 ft Scamp and One 13 ft Trillium and Two Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
This type of discussion should be held via PM, not on the forum for all to see. I would suggest any further correspondence be done this way.

We did both.. I think people might need to know how much trouble it is sending thing across the border now, could change their minds about the purchase.. If I had know this was going to happen I would never even asked about the darn thing even though I really need it...

In the pass I've sent several items to people on here for free, (they may chime in) even though I told them it was free some paid me back for the shipping others didn't... I didn't want anything just wanted to help them out and didn't want to throw the parts away that would be a shame.. But if it going to cost 10 times as much I guess I'll send them to people in the US only......

But now we are done... You can lock the thread down as far as I'm concern if you think it doesn't belong... RANDY
Randy Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 04:22 PM   #8

Name: Randy
Trailer: In the Market
Oregon
I found it all very informative and interesting.
Randy B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 08:11 PM   #9

Name: RandyB
Trailer: The BIG "O"
New Hampshire
Me too.
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace