"Rat Fur" insulation and Reflectix - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-07-2015, 12:04 AM   #15

Name: Dave & Paula Brown
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
I used 3M "77" spray adhesive. I opened one window closest to the bed, and turned the MaxAir fan on reverse, so it would suck fresh air in through it, and blow the glue ladened air out the window. I did wear a simple mask, and wished that I would have removed the screen 1st, as now I'll have to try to clean it up or replace it. Turtle Wax bug & tar remover worked great at removing any sticky residue on the couch & counter top.
Dave & Paula

Old 01-07-2015, 06:56 AM   #16

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
Thanks Dave. One last question. Where did you but the "Rat fur" ?

Old 01-07-2015, 06:31 PM   #17

Name: Jessica
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Jessica, take a look at the compound corners... those would be buggers to get any kind of paneling to fit. Plain ole fabric over Rat Fur or carpet won't give you much added insulation (like less than .05%) over what's already there, at more money and time. The only way you'll be able to really "super insulate" is to get some space between the outer shell and some sort of inner shell that you can then insulate.

OR... strip all the wall covering off and spray with LizardSkin.. plan on spending well over $1,000

You can insulate all you want, but you still have single pane windows and a floor... those are two main places for heat loss.

Maybe someone else has other ideas, I'm stumped.
I will look into the lizard skin! Thank you for the suggestion. Would I do lizard skin, refectix and carpeting? I just want to add fabric for aesthetic not for insulation value.
Old 01-07-2015, 06:34 PM   #18

Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
What are you putting all this on top of? What condition is it in?

Redoing the entire lining of an egg is a big and costly job (adhesives are a big hidden expense). You pretty much have to gut the interior, so once you start you won't be able to use the trailer until it's done. It might be better to patch up what you have and use the trailer for a while to see if you really need to tackle this one.

If you feel you must, I'd install a couple of layers of reflectix covered with marine carpet and end there. The marine hull liner is durable, washable, mildew-resistant, soft to the touch, and condensation-free. It's a very nice finish layer IMO.
Hi Jon, thank you for your reply. I would prefer to gut my trailers, I have a boler and a terry so one is fibre glass the other is aluminum. It will be an extended project for sure, probably wont be camping until the fall or 2016 with what I have in mind.
Old 01-07-2015, 06:39 PM   #19

Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
What are you putting all this on top of? What condition is it in?

Redoing the entire lining of an egg is a big and costly job (adhesives are a big hidden expense). You pretty much have to gut the interior, so once you start you won't be able to use the trailer until it's done. It might be better to patch up what you have and use the trailer for a while to see if you really need to tackle this one.

If you feel you must, I'd install a couple of layers of reflectix covered with marine carpet and end there. The marine hull liner is durable, washable, mildew-resistant, soft to the touch, and condensation-free. It's a very nice finish layer IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
I just finished applying Reflectix insulation and Marine Headliner in the sleeping area of our Lil Snoozy.
I agree that you should repair or just use what you have until you know for sure that you need to change something. We were having condensation issues around our bedding during cold weather use, but never had problems keeping the interior warm with just a small cube heater.
Dave & Paula
Thank you for the reference photos!
Old 01-07-2015, 10:47 PM   #20

Name: Dave & Paula Brown
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlsara View Post
Thanks Dave. One last question. Where did you but the "Rat fur" ?
I bought it on-line at 72" Marine Hulliner "Ivory"
because it was white. Scamp sells theirs but it looked brown/tan in the pictures, but based on our last Scamp, their liner is thicker. I don't know if that makes much difference. It was easy to work with as you could stretch it a bit to conform to the curves, but I did have to cut out some darts in the compound corners. I would imagine that you could get some at a boat repair shop...that way you could look at it in person instead of a picture. I'm installing LED ribbon lights within our cupboards that have magnetic switches that I bought from another FGRV member, Larry at beetlefreak.com
Next I'm going to install a Propex HS 2000 heater like "McDenny" did, except in a different location.
Dave & Paula
Old 01-08-2015, 02:52 PM   #21

Alberta
I've been looking into the lizard skin spray insulation, is it primarily used for sound?... What other kinds of spray insulation can I use? Would I be able to use it the interior of an aluminum rv as well?