'Rat fur' shedding - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2018, 01:36 AM   #1

Name: Pavlo
Trailer: Scamp
California
'Rat fur' shedding

Hi guys

I'm completely new to fiberglass RV world (and to the whole RV world in general)

My wife and I recently bought our first 2005 Scamp 13ft. I've been hunting for one for months and finally got it, so we're still excited.

During the initial cleanup I discovered a really frustrating issue: the headliner aka "rat fur" is shedding like crazy! It is not that bad on the ceiling, but very noticeable on the walls above the side windows. Literally, just a light tap on the wall makes a bit of dust and fibers. I vacuumed it several times, but it doesn't get much better, dust/fiber particles just keep coming, like the carpet material is crumbling from the inside.

Does anyone else has/had this problem and what do you think would be the best solution?
Is there any way to reinforce the fibers and stop shedding? Replacing the upholstery wasn't in my plans, so I really looking for some less radical solution.

Thanks!
CA_hiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 02:41 AM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Wow Pavlo, I've never heard of that problem before. Some members should be along soon with info for you but it may help if we knew the environment where the TT came from. BTW, welcome to the forum .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 06:47 AM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
maybe take her to the car wash and use their more powerful vac!

strange

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 07:08 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Agree. This is a new one. A week at Burning Man or someplace like that could account for the dust, but I'm at a loss to explain the fibers. Are you quite sure they're from the rat fur itself and not something else that's gotten caught in the headliner?

If it's the rat fur, it's possible it was treated with some cleaning chemical that damaged it. That's not normal.

I like Bob's suggestion of trying the stronger vacs at a car wash. I've done that after trips to the local lake, where there's a lot of fine clay dust. Proceed cautiously, though- you don't want to tear it loose from the shell.

Let us know how it goes.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 07:11 AM   #5

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Did prior owner have pets? I kind of like the lining in the Escape as it’s a smooth vinyl on the inside.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 07:13 AM   #6

Missouri
I am also thinking a good cleaning maybe even a commercial guy shouldn't be too expensive

bob
Old 03-21-2018, 07:14 AM   #7

Missouri
jon after driving around az this winter I would open the camper up and find dust everywhere I guess my 13f scamper not too tight!

bob
Old 03-21-2018, 08:42 AM   #8

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Its not carpet and has no "inside" to crumble.
Just keep vacuuming.
One thought...
Maybe someone tried to clean it with a carpet cleaner and what you have is the dried powder residue from too much cleaner which was left wet, then dried.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 09:29 AM   #9

Missouri
Floyd new wrinkle may be it!!

bob
Old 03-21-2018, 10:31 AM   #10

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
I use a Bissell spot cleaner at home which would be gentle enough for rat fur. I am guessing that a former owner may have used powdered carpet freshener to keep any musty smell at bay? Basically scented baking soda?
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 11:41 AM   #11

California
Thank you all for your replies and warming welcome!

Here're some pics:

As you see - those looks like a tiny fibers.
My plan is to try dry vac with the upholstery attachment first (the spinning brush) to remove the loose fibers, then I'll try to damp the rat fur with water and clean with the shop vac.
I assume the adhesive under the rat fur is water resistant, so there shouldn't be much risk to do a wet cleaning. What do you think?
Old 03-21-2018, 12:09 PM   #12

Missouri
steve for some reason our door really gets crummy I used a damp towel it cleaned right up. I think the ratfur is amazing stuff!

bob
Old 03-21-2018, 02:04 PM   #13

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA_hiker View Post
Thank you all for your replies and warming welcome!

Here're some pics:

As you see - those looks like a tiny fibers.
My plan is to try dry vac with the upholstery attachment first (the spinning brush) to remove the loose fibers, then I'll try to damp the rat fur with water and clean with the shop vac.
I assume the adhesive under the rat fur is water resistant, so there shouldn't be much risk to do a wet cleaning. What do you think?
That looks like broken fibers to me. Is it only in a spot that there might be sun damage?.

in the automotive detailing world they use compressed air to blow into the carpet and use a shop vac to suck it up at the same time. That really removes embedded stuff.
Old 03-21-2018, 03:02 PM   #14

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
That looks like broken fibers to me. Is it only in a spot that there might be sun damage?.

in the automotive detailing world they use compressed air to blow into the carpet and use a shop vac to suck it up at the same time. That really removes embedded stuff.
Yep, looks like the broken fiber from the fur.
It is on a fairly large area above the left and right dinette windows. Ceiling have some shedding too, but its not as bad. My best guess is that one of the previous owners tried some aggressive cleaning stuff on the upholstery.

Compressed air + vacuum sounds like a great idea! I'll definitely check the nearby detailers and give it a try. My only hope that amount of this broken fibers is limited and headliner is not falling apart completely.

Unlike some other Scamp buyers, I actually like the rat fur look and feel, not to mention that replacing the headliner would be a huge project.
Old 03-21-2018, 03:52 PM   #15

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Have you tried shampooing and then vacuum walls
I apologize if this was already suggested
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 05:27 PM   #16

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA_hiker View Post
...Unlike some other Scamp buyers, I actually like the rat fur look and feel, not to mention that replacing the headliner would be a huge project.
I think you'll find a lot of us who have lived with it agree. Much nicer to brush against in the night than hard fiberglass or Ensolite. I liked it the minute I first stepped inside our Scamp.

My only complaint, living with three females, is that it catches hair. Nothing a quick vacuum won't fix.

Sounds like you're on the right track. Best wishes!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 12:52 AM   #17

California
My 1986 Scamp came with a slightly different Rat fur called Ozite and is a less fuzzy texture. I like the rat fur and think it was a really good choice from Scamps designer.
Old 03-22-2018, 06:48 AM   #18

Name: David
Trailer: 13' Scamp
Wisconsin
I have a 2005 13" Scamp which has the same issue. It was almost a deal breaker when we bought the camper but went ahead with the purchase. We have vacuumed the surfaces many times and the rat fur rain continues, though not as bad. We have decided to live with it as it doesn't seem to come off unless the fur is disturbed and we don't tend to brush against the walls or ceiling. I would guess that many more folks who have rat fur interiors may find a similar condition in their camper if they rub the ceiling while watching with bright sunlight coming in. A solution would be great!
David Uher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 09:45 AM   #19

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
My 1986 Scamp came with a slightly different Rat fur called Ozite and is a less fuzzy texture. I like the rat fur and think it was a really good choice from Scamps designer.
I have only seen one other Scamp factory done in OZITE. It was a fiver.
My guess is that it was a flash in the pan experiment between elephant hide and ratfur. Other 86s I have seen have been ratfur. Yours may be more rare than you imagined!
I have used OZITE over elephant hide for some remodeling work. It is a nice product with two patterns and many color choices.
Old 03-23-2018, 10:03 AM   #20

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Uher View Post
I have a 2005 13" Scamp which has the same issue. It was almost a deal breaker when we bought the camper but went ahead with the purchase. We have vacuumed the surfaces many times and the rat fur rain continues, though not as bad. We have decided to live with it as it doesn't seem to come off unless the fur is disturbed and we don't tend to brush against the walls or ceiling. I would guess that many more folks who have rat fur interiors may find a similar condition in their camper if they rub the ceiling while watching with bright sunlight coming in. A solution would be great!
My 2004 has shown no sign of wear or shedding after 14 years of use. nothing around the dinette, kitchen, shower, or even the door. I have been inside as many Scamps as some factory employees and have not seen this issue yet. Very rare indeed.
Perhaps it is "ratfur factory" residue from trimming the pile height, prone to happen more at some point in processing a roll. I doubt that it is deterioration, or it would be much more common... and as you say, you had ratfur dust in yours when it was new and it mitigated over time.
I notice that both examples are 2005s. maybe made from the same roll of ratfur. The ratfur factory may have had a glitch such as a vacuum failure on the product line.