Rattle Can Paint Project question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2012, 05:17 PM   #1

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Rattle Can Paint Project question

So, pricing being a big issue, I'm now comparing the cost to do a rattle can paint job myself. What kind of paint would be recommended? I want to do a color (probably yellow). I don't own a power sander, so I know that purchase cost will have to get factored in, along with the paint, and sanding paper.

How difficult is it to do a home-spray paint job, and what is involved?
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:57 PM   #2

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
My opinion is that Spray cans on a large project just turn out looking like some really amateur painter did it.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:09 PM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I agree, most spray can jobs that I have seen that actually looked decent when finished soon deteriorated. The quality of paint in a can just isn't up to auto standards. I respray sections of a railing fence on my veranda almost monthly.

A better bet is marine paint. I did my Hunter with Interlux Briteside and it's beautiful. The paint is designed specifically for fiberglass and goes on well using the roll and tip method. About $300 in materials should do the average FGRV. Figure one coat of undercoat and two coats of color.
Do it right the first time,
It's always harder to fix it the second time

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:50 PM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
Tennessee
Pam, please don't do a spray can paint job. As has already been mentioned, it will look terrible and will get worse with time.

Does your Uhaul really need paint? Perhaps just a good scrub with Barkeepers Friend cleanser and then coat it with Red Max Pro or Zep High Traffic floor polish. You can find threads on this site about the procedure.

Honestly, my personal opinion is that I'd rather see a faded gelcoat finish than one that had been covered with a spray can finish.

If you really want to paint it yourself, I would recommend the marine paint route, using the 'roll and tip' method. About $300 should do it. The other option is to talk to one of the cheap autobody paint shops and ask them how much to spray it if you do all of the prep work (cleaning, wet sanding, and masking). You might be surprised.

Good luck.
SailorSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:32 PM   #5

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
My opinion is that Spray cans on a large project just turn out looking like some really amateur painter did it.
X2 on that and another thought is $$$$ I think the average cost of a rattle can of paint(around here at least) is 4 to 6 dollars and that is just regular harware store paint. DH use to do lots of painting of cars and furniture,unless it was just a touch up he would always get out his compresser and spray gun. Meaning if it would take more than one can he could do it cheaper the long hard way.Or use the ever handy brush or roller.

There are lots of things to try first before you have to do a new paint job. like others have said a super good cleaning,then follow with a good buff and wax just might take care of your problem.

Read lots of threads here on cleaning.We have seen pictures posted of befores that I thought "no way will that ever look good" then the same egg After picture has always been a big WOW! Yes it is lots of work,but well worth the look and savings.
Lynn Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:29 AM   #6

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
you would be better off to take it to earl schibe or some discount car painter. another option specialy as this is going on winter. does your highschool or local vocational school have an autoshop componant? sometimes the students need a project and for a donation to the shop fund,,will do a project like this for experiance.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:48 AM   #7

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Pam,
I didn't notice that your gel coat looked like it needed paint when you were at Algonac, but I didn't look that closely. I know that MichaelJ had his VT painted a bright white and it looks very nice.

Here is the comment that Todd Reed made concerning painting his Scamp:

"Steve - the paint is rustoleum topside marine paint. I used a roller to apply. It is very reasonably priced and I applied three coats of each color a year ago. I garage the trailer, therefore it's only been in the sun for about 20 days. The paint is holding up well. Only one chip due to road rocks. Here is a link to the paint."

https://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=4

Perhaps this would work for you!

Kevin
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:37 AM   #8

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Professional Paint Job

Quote:
I agree with Darwin , I have never seen a do it yourself spray can paint job that looks anywhere near as good as a professional paint job . Plus by having it done professionally you can have a clear coat applied . Trying to keep dust out of the paint at home is a difficult task
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:15 PM   #9

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
$50 Paint Job

I have not done this technique but have followed what he did. The following is a single web site address though it looks like two. Just double click it.

Rickwrench, Alfa GTV, Falcon Squire, Corvair

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:39 PM   #10

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
ookaayy, you've talked me down from that ledge. I'll just save my money. Kevin, the gelcoat is not in bad shape, but I'd like to add some color to the outside. If it was a belly band style, I'd paint the underside a color and keep the upper one white. But I don't have that option with the UHaul's seam running across the top/bottom of the trailer. I'll keep checking into other options, but it sounds like I'll be best to let the pros do it.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:07 PM   #11

Name: Todd
Trailer: 1974 Scamp 13'
Malvern, Ohio
Registry
I painted mine with a roller using rustoleum marine topside paint. It is very reasonably priced. I bought mine at Menards. Here is a link to the product. It's holding up quite well. My paint job is a year old. You can see my trailer in my registry.

https://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=4

The rustoleum is $12 a quart, compared to $30 or more for interlux brightside.
Todd Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:17 AM   #12

Name: Mike
Trailer: uhaul, 84, 13CT
Massachusetts
uhaul finish

Hi: Just finished scrubbing mine with TSP and laundry soap. Three coats of ZED floor finish from Lowes and it looks great. TSP will burn a bare hand. To address your color want you might consider a Gravel protection bib on the front. I'm looking at " GrizzlyGrip". a truck bed liner in many colors and a couple of textures. Its been mentioned on this site several times. Just enough color and it is brush applied. Lots of luck. Mike
h.mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:56 AM   #13

Trailer: Lite House
Registry
The enamel and a roller method works really well. I painted my former TV (a 10 year old faded Tacoma) using the system and except for some drips on the bumper (gotta use lots of masking material), it turned out really good. The secret is to thin down the industrial enamel and use a foam roller and do a lot of coats with some minimum sanding in between. Google for $50 paint job for details.
Davie B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:49 PM   #14

Name: Joe
Trailer: Casita 17' SD
Arizona
I'd like to use a rattle can to paint my Casita with desert camouflage colours. But I'm a little bit chicken...can I still get into RV Parks then?
Rattlesnake Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:43 PM   #15

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Question What about using rattle cans for the primer?

Quote:
For my Compact Jr. project, I have stripped everything off of the fiberglass body and removed the entire floor. I plan on doing all of the bondo screw hole filling and fiberglass patching myself, and then all of the sanding myself. What about rattle-can spraying a primer coat myself before hauling it to a pro for the final paint job?
Old 10-16-2012, 06:49 AM   #16

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Joe View Post
I'd like to use a rattle can to paint my Casita with desert camouflage colours. But I'm a little bit chicken...can I still get into RV Parks then?
I would be more worried about trying to sell it if you you paint and try to sell it. It does not seem to me that campers painted in camouflage sell as quickly or for as much money.

However, I believe in making your own, your own.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:29 AM   #17

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I guess the basic question is "Would you want you to park next to you at an RV Park"? If yes, in a year or so, when the paint starts peeling off in sections, ask the same question.
Besides that, why paint desert cammo ,and then go to an RV park????

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:54 AM   #18

Name: Ron
Trailer: Trillium 13 ft (green grape)
Ontario
Yuuuuk !!!!!!
RRJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:33 AM   #19

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Yes, U can get into the park but you run the risk of someone running into your camper when they back in to the spot you're already occupying.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint