Re & Re Windows - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2012, 06:53 AM   #1

Name: Jim
Trailer: Bigfoot 1981 Trailer
British Columbia
Re & Re Windows

I am about to pull all the windows due to leakage and will apply butyl tape before installing again and then trim the excess. Is it a good idea to put a pencil mark on the window and also on the trailer so that it lines up when reinstalling?

Question 2 Could I put duct tape on the outside window after removing the inside screws to hold it in place to make it a one man job, or does it take two people to re and re? The duct tape, of course, would be removed immediately after reinstalling as it can be a mess to remove if kept on for a long time.

Question 3 Should I also apply some caulking afterwards around the frame on the outside?

Thanks, Jim
jimmied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:24 AM   #2

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
-Can't hurt to index with a Pencil but may not help either?

-I use Duct Tape exactly as you propose and it works well for me.

-You will not need caulk outside if sealing with Butyl rubber in the first place.
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:35 AM   #3
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I am about to pull all the windows due to leakage and will apply butyl tape before installing again and then trim the excess. Is it a good idea to put a pencil mark on the window and also on the trailer so that it lines up when reinstalling?

I didn't. The holes were pretty much an exact fit. I suspect they used a template.

Question 2 Could I put duct tape on the outside window after removing the inside screws to hold it in place to make it a one man job, or does it take two people to re and re? The duct tape, of course, would be removed immediately after reinstalling as it can be a mess to remove if kept on for a long time.

I had a second person as I had the same concern. Turns out the old butyl held things in place just fine. I used a dull putty knife to help remove the window. No problem with the duct tape. Should there be residue, goo gone, acetone will remove it.

Question 3 Should I also apply some caulking afterwards around the frame on
the outside?
The butyl tape will ooze for quite some time. I have seen some folks caulk, I did not. Have fun, Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
windows