Re Arching a Roof? - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-24-2009, 09:44 PM   #1
Trailer: 1994 Lite House
Well as we found out shortly after we got our trailer the roof is severely caved in. ( due to poor design ) i need to somehow bow the roof back out and reinforce it. it has center section on the roof that i believe at one time was there to keep it from bowing inward. But it has now just made the bow worse. Anyone have any ideas on how to reinforce the fiberglass? I was thinking of putting some kind of strip on the inside and jack the roof in place and then fiberglass the support in place? Has anyone done anything like this? i have seen similar with re arching the compact 2 roof but i cant find a buildup on it. Please help i need advice

ill post pictures tomorrow.

curtis c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 11:12 PM   #2
Trailer: 1971 Astro (ie. Campster/Hunter I)
Send a message via MSN to Harry Young Send a message via Yahoo to Harry Young

I would suggest looking at the inside of a Trails West Campster, it has an inside fiberglassed reinforced tee which works well, In my Astro, the manufacturer handled the same issue has four 6 inch wide corrugations molded into the roof, this created 4 extroverted channels running across the roof line to the front window of the trailer, the two outside channels turn the corner at the front dropping to the belly band reinforcing the front window area.

Personally, in a 13 foot Scamp / Acorn I took the trailer off the frame, flipped it upside down, I laid in the correct weight of fiberglass cloth, using a carbon fiber cloth crossing the weave three layers deep...Upside down the resin lays in place well, propping the trailer to maintain the correct curve of the shell relating to the roof takes a day before any pour and is very important. The four fiberglass units I have worked on were chop in mold created, great in theory but once a certain amount of damage occurs it loses considerable strength.

I am not a body shop, I just recently learned about the way Campster handled their roof issues by picking one up, I learn everyday, the fiberglass experience I have is from fishing boats mainly...its been helpful, but I have had to be creative with trailer designs changing my thinking to specific stress points unlike water craft.

More people will weigh in here, research your options, post ideas, pick out what works for others and adapt. If you would like to see pics ask for them.

F.B.R.V. is a great place to get different views about the same issues.

I realize solutions are not right or wrong for me, they are more effective or less applicable to my particular issues in degrees of being first understand what your dealing with...really grasp the issues...the roof is just not weak...know the why its weak so your choices are guided by that correct understanding.

I look forward to your pics.

Safe Camping, Happy Trails.

Harry Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 05:59 AM   #3
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Here's a prior topic that addresses your problem. Note the pictures Frederick posted of his Fiberstream: Roof Sagging On Our Bigfoot

Here's another one, and there are links to other topics inside this one (Thanks Lizbeth!)
1981 Bigfoot 17ft roof strengthening

Hope these help!
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote