re-hanging Trillium door? - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-09-2015, 06:51 PM   #1

Name: Anne
Trailer: Compact jr. 1974
Mass
re-hanging Trillium door?

Hello,
As happens, the door on my 1974 Trillium has sagged and needs to be re-hung. In searching around I did find a post where an intrepid person peeled back the ensolite, cut holes in the fiberglass column and may have put metal plates on the inside to secure the hinges to the body (can't quite remember exactly!). Darn if I cant find that post again.
Does anyone know of this post? I bet there are people out there that do.

thanks for your help,
Anne

Old 08-10-2015, 07:30 AM   #2

Name: stefan
Trailer: 76 Trillium 1300
Waterloo, Ontario
This may be the link you are looking for

Trillium Hinge Repair

Most people drill the holes out bigger from the outside, fill with resin or epoxy or wood or combination of, and rehang the door. The door is very light and is easy to reposition. Remember that your door will never 'line up' 100% with the body mouldings. They were off at the factory. Look at any picture of any Trillium and you'll see what I mean. Make sure the door 'sagging' problem is not being caused by worn hinges.

stef

Old 08-10-2015, 02:04 PM   #3

Mass
re-hanging Trillium door

Thanks Stef, Thank you! That is exactly the post I was looking for. And, yes, I have read about drilling out and filling with epoxy, or other materials. Think I am going to go with metal plates backing the hinge. Maybe some new hinges eventually?
Much appreciated!
Anne
Old 08-10-2015, 07:10 PM   #4

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
I am one who has drilled out and filled with epoxy. Since my door is sagging again, I have to conclude that my approach was wrong. Next time it will be a plate on the inside. Not sure of the details yet though.
Old 08-11-2015, 05:41 AM   #5

Name: stefan
Trailer: 76 Trillium 1300
Waterloo, Ontario
David, did you drill out the hole and epoxy in a wood dowel? That's what I did and it seems really solid. Mind you my trailer has only moved about 15 kms in the 4 months since I made that repair, going from one of my 'working areas' to another. Time will tell I guess.

stefan
Old 08-11-2015, 07:17 PM   #6

Mass
Hi David, Good to know. Recently, as I was on the highway going about 65 mph, the trailer door swung open. Scary. Got off the highway and bought white duct tape which did the job in getting me to Jersey. The latch fix that I had professionally done the day before failed!
I will never have that happen again. Ever. If I can help it.
I am having welders fashion backer plates for the hinges, and alloy (bendable) metal covers for the holes in the fiberglass column. They can be removed if the door needs to be tightened in the future.
Now onto the frame.
Was it you that identified 4 absolutely necessary and inevitable fixes for fiberglass trailers?
1. Door sag
2. Frame safety
3. Resealing windows with butyl (sp?) tape
and one other.... hmmm....

I agree and am prioritizing those fixes so there's no sweat on those basics in the future... of course, there's always another project just for the fun of it...

Happy, and safe, camping,
Anne
Old 08-11-2015, 08:00 PM   #7

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
Add:
4. Belly band

to that list, and yup that's me.
Old 08-11-2015, 09:31 PM   #8

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
I have yet to mount the door on the Trillium I am working on, but will be very soon. I gouged and cleaned out the holes real well, and filling with fiberglass reinforced filler. I can't see it letting go, but we'll see.

When you do the through bolt thing, do you do the door as well? Those screws were as bad as the ones into the body on this trailer.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 12:19 PM   #9

Name: Colleen
Trailer: Trillium
WA
I will try to attach a Word doc that I just put together on how I did this. My Trillium door fell off on a camping trip. We taped and bungied it closed to drive the 400 miles home. Then I fixed it by opening up the back of the column, using new screws and washers and sealant to hold the hinge screws, then making removable covers for the hole.

Colleen

PS I can't attach the Word file as there is a upload file size restriction of 19 KB for doc files. I'd be happy to send you the doc if you want it
Old 08-13-2015, 12:28 PM   #10

Name: Colleen
Trailer: Trillium
WA
trying again . . .
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4724.jpg  
Old 07-31-2016, 05:20 PM   #11

Name: Claire
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colleeno View Post
trying again . . .
Hi Colleen, what are those made of. did someone make them for you, or did yo make them.

Tags
trillium