I tracked down some leaking in the Fiberstream
to the bolts that hold the awning
to the trailer.
I "removed" the entire awning
which was a true adventure in itself and then I scraped the 2 inches of near solid "Matter" seeming to seal it to the trailer.
My question is...........When I put it back up,do I use something adhesive and sealing behind it to attach it to the trailer in addition to the bolts or do I bolt it up there and then caulk the valley formed between the trailer and the awning
case or both?
I have been getting varied theories from my local people and am looking for ideas from the group/ It may not even matter which way I go but I would like to avoid causing a repeat of the mess I just removed and cleaned.
The trailer is not too flat where the awning mounts too and this complicates the descision a little.
Right now I was thinking I would use two beads of 3M Marine Adhesive on the back case of the awning both over and under the bolt holes.
Then once bolted in place,I would lay another bead in the valley and call it a day.
Someone else suggested I use Butyl Rubber on the case back and then sealer in the valley.
When I removed the awning I was greeted with what looked like 20 years of residue that had landed and been festering in the valley and behind the case.
It seemed as though it trapped moisture and accelerated the rusting of the bolts and rotting of the plywood spacer/washers inside the wall.
I cut new spacer/washers from 1/2" poly stock(cutting board) so the load is distributed inside but will not rot.
I also have stanless hardware for the re-attachment.