Re-Mounting my awning - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2007, 09:20 AM   #1

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Well.....
I tracked down some leaking in the Fiberstream to the bolts that hold the awning to the trailer.
I "removed" the entire awning which was a true adventure in itself and then I scraped the 2 inches of near solid "Matter" seeming to seal it to the trailer.

My question is...........When I put it back up,do I use something adhesive and sealing behind it to attach it to the trailer in addition to the bolts or do I bolt it up there and then caulk the valley formed between the trailer and the awning case or both?

I have been getting varied theories from my local people and am looking for ideas from the group/ It may not even matter which way I go but I would like to avoid causing a repeat of the mess I just removed and cleaned.

The trailer is not too flat where the awning mounts too and this complicates the descision a little.

Right now I was thinking I would use two beads of 3M Marine Adhesive on the back case of the awning both over and under the bolt holes.
Then once bolted in place,I would lay another bead in the valley and call it a day.

Someone else suggested I use Butyl Rubber on the case back and then sealer in the valley.

When I removed the awning I was greeted with what looked like 20 years of residue that had landed and been festering in the valley and behind the case.
It seemed as though it trapped moisture and accelerated the rusting of the bolts and rotting of the plywood spacer/washers inside the wall.
I cut new spacer/washers from 1/2" poly stock(cutting board) so the load is distributed inside but will not rot.

I also have stanless hardware for the re-attachment.

Thoughts?
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 12:36 PM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Have you considered "Trading up" from a Case Awning to a Self-closing Roll-up?
It would be simple now that you have the old awning off the trailer.

My Carefree Fiesta Awning has a valley behind the stored awning that disappears when the awning is unfurled for use.

Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0603.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	9022

Quote:
Extremism in the <strike>defense of liberty</strike> stoppage of leaking is no vice. And moderation in the <strike>pursuit of justice</strike> repair of trailers is no virtue.
[b]Barry Goldwaterparaphrased
Attached Thumbnails
000_0604.jpg  
Old 07-23-2007, 06:20 AM   #3

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
[quote] Have you considered "Trading up" from a Case Awning to a Self-closing Roll-up?
It would be simple now that you have the old awning off the trailer.

My Carefree Fiesta Awning has a valley behind the stored awning that disappears when the awning is unfurled for use.

Attachment 9022

Fred
Thanks for the response.
I have no real need to change awnings as the one I have works OK. I am just trying to decide if it matters how well I seal it to the trailer when re-installing it.

That said....Need has never stopped me before Thats for sure!

The arms on the one I have are bent and do not work exactly as they should but they do work.
If you are offering good "Trade-Up" pricing then we should talk.

I do need a Fridge before an awning though.

Thanks
Ed
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 01:03 PM   #4

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
When I removed the awning I was greeted with what looked like 20 years of residue that had landed and been festering in the valley and behind the case.
It seemed as though it trapped moisture and accelerated the rusting of the bolts and rotting of the plywood spacer/washers inside the wall.

Thoughts?
Seriously, I think the new case awnings installed on "stand-off" brackets have the side benefit ( pun intended) of letting debris fall between the body of the trailer and the awning case and not build up in a sealed valley.