Rear Aluminum bumper Failure Bigfoot - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-12-2015, 08:48 AM   #15

Name: MEX BOB
Trailer: Perris pacer
California
I don't know why we don't weld a hitch on the front of the vehicle ! And slide in the bike rack ?

Old 08-12-2015, 09:28 AM   #16

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
A hitch on the front is a very good idea. It could serve a number of purposes. Bike rack, or any other hitch mounted storage. Also with some large gauge wiring to both the front and the back, a movable winch could mount to it. Another use would be for boat launches.

Old 08-12-2015, 09:46 AM   #17

Name: Darral
Trailer: Scamp Standard 13' 2010
Tennessee
Why dont yall just get a pickup truck and be done with it?? Put the bikes in the bed of the truck where they belong (unless you're pulling a 5th wheel). That's where I haul mine. No trailer weight shift...no blocking the radiator on my truck... just HAULING in the bed like they were designed for.
Old 08-12-2015, 09:53 AM   #18

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Bicycles on the front not only obstruct airflow to the radiator, they can also block headlights and turn signals. NOT a good idea...
Old 08-12-2015, 11:08 AM   #19

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
Why dont yall just get a pickup truck and be done with it?? Put the bikes in the bed of the truck where they belong (unless you're pulling a 5th wheel). That's where I haul mine. No trailer weight shift...no blocking the radiator on my truck... just HAULING in the bed like they were designed for.
Darral,

If I got a pickup, where would I put my five kids?
Old 08-12-2015, 11:21 AM   #20

Tennessee
Where do you put them in a TRILLIUM trailer???

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
Darral,

Old 08-12-2015, 11:42 AM   #21

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Quote:
Darral,

I think that Darral must have a lot of money and is offering to buy you one of those new FORD F-1650 6 door pick-ups. How nice.... LOL
Old 08-12-2015, 11:59 AM   #22

Tennessee
No....Darral forgets what it's liking having to think about the kids since his is grown and gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
I think that Darral must have a lot of money and is offering to buy you one of those new FORD F-1650 6 door pick-ups. How nice.... LOL
Old 08-12-2015, 12:01 PM   #23

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
Where do you put them in a TRILLIUM trailer???
The trailer sleeps four kids, the van sleeps my wife and I, and the littlest one. Actually the oldest may not come on the next trip, so my wife and I will have the van to ourselves.

Also, it should be noted that the van also cuts the wind for the trailer, making it more stable, and less buggy.
Old 08-12-2015, 01:01 PM   #24

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4
SW Florida
Quote:
Also, it should be noted that the van also cuts the wind for the trailer, making it more stable, and less buggy.
Hmm... This could explain why my Scamp 16 tends to sway when towed with Mercury Grand Marquis, but never swayed when towed with a short bed F150.
Old 08-12-2015, 01:06 PM   #25

Tennessee
Ohhh....so yer pulling an "apartment" So that means FIVE bicycles (7 if you and wifey rides) on the front of the van?????

Ahhh...I'm just messing with you now. Enjoy life with those 5 kids my friend. I found out with mine...life is VERY short...

Quote:
The trailer sleeps four kids, the van sleeps my wife and I, and the littlest one. Actually the oldest may not come on the next trip, so my wife and I will have the van to ourselves.

Old 08-12-2015, 02:08 PM   #26

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokhapkin View Post
Hmm... This could explain why my Scamp 16 tends to sway when towed with Mercury Grand Marquis, but never swayed when towed with a short bed F150.
Our Odyssey is almost identical to the Scamp in size and very similar in shape. The Odyssey is only about an inch narrower than the Scamp and just about as long.

Our Scamp 16 has yet to show any tendency to sway. We do typically tow with an anti-sway bar but we have towed the Scamp 2000 miles with our CRV without an anti-sway bar and it tracked beautifully.

Could it be a spongy suspension on the Marquis?

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 03:59 PM   #27

Alberta
Registry
The company I work for sells a vortex flow meter. It works by presenting a bluff body, (flat faced bar) to the flow. This causes vortices to shed on alternating sides of the bluff body. This is called a Kármán vortex street:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K%C3%A..._vortex_street
This is also what causes a flag to flap in the wind. The force involved is enough that a pizo crystal, inside the bar, can pick up the torque caused by these vortices, even when measuring the flow of a gas.

It is my belief that the same thing happens with a trailer. The large flat faced trailers get it worse then our rounded eggs, but it still happens. Since my van cuts the wind, the most stable place for the trailer is directly behind the van. When it sways out of line with van, the force of the wind will push it back into line. With a lower sedan, the face of the trailer is subjected to highway speed wind. The trailer is subjected to this torque and it may start sway. An SUV, or van covers a larger portion of the hight of the trailer, so it reduces this effect.

I am sure that there is much more to this then just vortex shedding, but I think that taking it out of the equation helps.

BTW, we carry three bikes on the back of the trailer, and the two smaller ones in the trailer. Nothing on the front of the van. I thought it was a good idea, but I don't do it.
Old 08-12-2015, 05:27 PM   #28

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4
SW Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Could it be a spongy suspension on the Marquis?
Could be. But I suspect the problem is not in suspension, but in long overhang, about 65" from rear axle to the hitch ball.

Tags
bigfoot