Rear awning/window cover for Scamp? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2016, 10:11 PM   #1

Name: Doug
Trailer: Escape
California
Registry
Rear awning/window cover for Scamp?

I didn't find anything from searching the forums so I thought I would ask. I am interested in some type if awning or window cover to put over the rear window of my Scamp to keep rain off the window and window-mounted air conditioner, for those rare times in warm rain. It does not happen a lot (actually not ever yet) but as you can see in the recent picture from Bayou Stegnette State Park near New Orleans, the rear window mounted air conditioner could have a water leakage problem if there was much rain. Since I only have a temporary mount for the AC unit and want no permanent mods to the sliding rear window I am thinking of some kind of awning to shed any heavy rain. I put one of the EZE RV Gutters around the window frame to handle any water running off the roof. Also, of course, I don't want to put any new holes in the fiberglass.
Any and all thoughts/suggestions are welcome.
Thx.
Attached Thumbnails
20160425_183817-sm.jpg  
DougOlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 10:59 PM   #2

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
I have seen some Casitas with sunbrella fabric awnings, that I believe are deployable. I don't know who made them, but perhaps a member with them will answer soon.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 01:38 AM   #3

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
[QUOTE=DougOlson;587813]I didn't find anything from searching the forums so I thought I would ask. I am interested in some type if awning or window cover to put over the rear window of my Scamp to keep rain off the window and window-mounted air conditioner, for those rare times in warm rain. It does not happen a lot (actually not ever yet) but as you can see in the recent picture from Bayou Stegnette State Park near New Orleans, the rear window mounted air conditioner could have a water leakage problem if there was much rain. Since I only have a temporary mount for the AC unit and want no permanent mods to the sliding rear window I am thinking of some kind of awning to shed any heavy rain. I put one of the EZE RV Gutters around the window frame to handle any water running off the roof. Also, of course, I don't want to put any new holes in the fiberglass.
Any and all thoughts/suggestions are welcome.

My thoughts are:
Your mount must do the water proofing without having to rely on an awning as a stop gap solution.

Have you leak tested it with a strong blast from a garden hose? If it fails that test then you need to go back to the drawing board and rework your mounting scheme.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 09:16 AM   #4

Name: Lisa
Trailer: Boler
Texas
Littlehousecustoms.Com carry them.
rynho29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 09:36 AM   #5
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
DIY awnings

Instructions in this thread:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...elp-68183.html

You could also sew up a box shape that could drop over your AC like a pillowcase with a top flap that would slide into the Sail-Rite track, then drop over the AC.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, scamp