Rear bed size in 16' scamp - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2016, 10:45 AM   #21

Name: Marge
Trailer: Casita
Oregon
Mike, would you be willing to measure the distance from the bed platform to the underside of the overhang with cushions removed? Also, how thick are the cushions provided? We may want to make it into a permanent bed with our own mattress. Just wondering how much play we would have. Thanks so much!
margeleept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 10:57 AM   #22
M_C

Name: Mike
Trailer: Scamp
California
The overhang is 10.5", the cushions are 4"(we put a 3" memory foam pad on top), also the counter extends about 7" over the bed.
M_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 11:26 AM   #23

Name: Marge
Trailer: Casita
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_C View Post
The overhang is 10.5", the cushions are 4"(we put a 3" memory foam pad on top), also the counter extends about 7" over the bed.
Mike, just to clarify the 10.5" overhang is the height, not the depth from the wall, right? That would mean you only have 3.5" clearance for your feet? So I'd think you don't put them under the overhang. Is that right? Does that feel cramped? Losing 7" width at the feet doesn't seem like a deal breaker, especially if it means having a queen bed everywhere else.
margeleept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 01:58 PM   #24
M_C

Name: Mike
Trailer: Scamp
California
That is correct, I'm 6' and I don't even notice the overhang.
M_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 08:33 AM   #25

Name: Sean
Trailer: In the market
Virginia
Didn't want to make a new topic, but does anyone know if the newer Scamps offer different size beds. I can't seem to find where it is listed but on layouts, the beds all appear to be the same footprint for all of them. So I can't tell if they stick to the older 44" bed or if they are all standard with a 54" bed now a days.
sean2a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 08:47 AM   #26

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean2a View Post
Didn't want to make a new topic, but does anyone know if the newer Scamps offer different size beds. I can't seem to find where it is listed but on layouts, the beds all appear to be the same footprint for all of them. So I can't tell if they stick to the older 44" bed or if they are all standard with a 54" bed now a days.
Scamp does not offer a "big bed" option on the standard (fiberglass interior) 16' models. They are all 44/45" wide. The only way to get a 54" bed in a 16'er is to spring for a deluxe model.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 03:15 PM   #27

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Scamp does not offer a "big bed" option on the standard (fiberglass interior) 16' models. They are all 44/45" wide. The only way to get a 54" bed in a 16'er is to spring for a deluxe model.
Thanks, I believe you, but I don't understand why I can't find that information anywhere in the brochure or website, despite bed sizes showing up in older brochures I've found. I've heard/ seen that the way they accomplish the larger bed on the optional models is to cut it into the kitchenette cabinet, though I would think the layout would should the overlap of bed and cabinet. Maybe I am overthinking it though.
Old 04-24-2021, 07:43 PM   #28

Arizona
Registry
On the side dinette deluxe 16B, if you order the large fridge, part of the galley cantilevers over the dinette bed about 6-8”. The small fridge fits under the counter and does not require the cantilever, nor does the side bath deluxe 16A, where the fridge is on the opposite side next to the bath.

In my opinion it would make more sense to make the bed narrower on one side rather than that awkward cantilever. You don’t need as much room for your feet as your head and shoulders.
Old 04-27-2021, 09:38 PM   #29

Arizona
Registry
Found a photo of the cantilever
Click image for larger version

Name:	4A7D0803-7B81-4F1F-9572-697DED3EE230.jpeg
Views:	14
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	140582
Old 04-28-2021, 05:54 AM   #30

Virginia
Quote:
Found a photo of the cantilever
Attachment 140582

Thank you! This is very helpful. Certainly looks like they robbed Peter to pay Paul!
Old 04-28-2021, 10:48 AM   #31

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Thank you! This is very helpful. Certainly looks like they robbed Peter to pay Paul!
It does look precarious to me with the stove hanging over the bed. I prefer deluxe layout A with a window in front, a large fridge, a spacious galley, and an unencumbered large bed. Of course something has to be sacrificed, and it's the bath, which is really tiny and height limited. Since we mostly use campground facilities, it's the better compromise for us.

It's all about trade-offs. In a small trailer, one way or another you're robbing Peter to pay Paul.
Old 04-28-2021, 11:04 AM   #32

Virginia
Quote:
It does look precarious to me with the stove hanging over the bed. I prefer deluxe layout A with a window in front, a large fridge, a spacious galley, and an unencumbered large bed. Of course something has to be sacrificed, and it's the bath, which is really tiny. Since we mostly use campground facilities, it's the better compromise for us.

It's all about trade-offs. In a small trailer, you're always robbing Peter to pay Paul.
I agree with everything you just said plus it would seem if you added too thick a mattress pad on top of it, with the overhang it would be too tight to fit parts of your body, rendering it unusable space. I would say layout A seems to be the best overall compromise, the bathroom is small but still technically useable in a pinch. I do wish these layouts came with outdoor showers as well for the sake of flexibility, but I guess ya can’t have everything. Thanks for your input
Old 04-28-2021, 11:10 AM   #33

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
I agree with everything you just said plus it would seem if you added too thick a mattress pad on top of it, with the overhang it would be too tight to fit parts of your body, rendering it unusable space. I would say layout A seems to be the best overall compromise, the bathroom is small but still technically useable in a pinch. I do wish these layouts came with outdoor showers as well for the sake of flexibility, but I guess ya can’t have everything. Thanks for your input
If you're thinking about ordering an S16-A, consider some off-menu options for the front. The standard set-up has a dinette that makes into a child-sized bed with a storage cabinet in the corner. If you request they will delete the corner cabinet and provide larger cushions so the dinette makes into a full-width, adult-sized bed. They will also do bunks, like the standards, but you lose the dinette.

The first option is appealing if you might need the extra bed at some point. Even an older child will quickly outgrow the "child-sized" bed.
Old 05-04-2021, 06:33 PM   #34

Virginia
Quote:
If you're thinking about ordering an S16-A, consider some off-menu options for the front. The standard set-up has a dinette that makes into a child-sized bed with a storage cabinet in the corner. If you request they will delete the corner cabinet and provide larger cushions so the dinette makes into a full-width, adult-sized bed. They will also do bunks, like the standards, but you lose the dinette.

The first option is appealing if you might need the extra bed at some point. Even an older child will quickly outgrow the "child-sized" bed.
That's good information. I'm sure it wouldn't be too much to remove the cabinet and install an adult sized bed. Still. I am thinking the ultimate setup in terms of flexibility would be the front 2 person dinette that, later in life, if I have multiple kids, I could mod and add a second bunk over the dinette bed. I've heard this 80/20 material is pretty strong and would be a good material to make that happen.
Old 05-28-2021, 10:09 AM   #35

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
Just FYI -

The cabinet does NOT OVERHANG the bed on Scamp 16 Deluxe Layout A & Layout C trailers ... Layout B has the overhang.

We have what Scamp now calls Layout C.

With the front sofa/bunks, we can sleep a couple of grandkids (or one adult on the sofa or bottom bunk) and we use a Lagun Table for indoor dining while sitting on the sofa.
See pix in this thread: Scamp 16 Side Bath - The sink has to go!

We really like the Layout C configuration!

Larger people might find the side bathroom just a bit small? We are average size people and we don't spend a lot of time in the bathroom, so it works for us.

Hope that helps some ...

Ray
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp