Rear frame extending on a 16' Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2014, 10:13 PM   #1

Name: Frank
Trailer: Casita
California
Rear frame extending on a 16' Scamp

Has any one cut the frame rails in the rear ahead of the bumper and extended the frame on a 16' Scamp?
Frank
frankcfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 10:29 PM   #2

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Probably...there are few outrages-er- mods- that haven't been perpetrated by someone here.

As to effects, etc: all depends on what you're trying to do. The farther you get from the axle the more effects increase, especially if a lot of weight is added.

How long do you want to go, and to what purpose?
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 11:59 PM   #3

Name: Frank
Trailer: Casita
California
I was thinking of adding a 16" expanded metal shelf. Not to carry any load over 50 pounds. I also use a weight distribution hitch and I was wondering about the effect the shelf might have.
Frank
frankcfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 08:02 AM   #4

Name: Darrell
Trailer: Scamp Deluxe 16ft
Alabama
I've got hidden hitch rack on the back of mine, I don't load it down except when parked. Just haul sewer hose and the like so far otherwise it would block tail lights. Mine is "plugged in to factory 2 in. receiver.
Darrell in Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 08:40 AM   #5

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Extending the frame rails by overlapping the extension to the original rails should be just as good as installing a receiver to attach a rack. I think a commercially made, bolt on receiver is available for Scamps. Results shouldn't be any worse than a rear bike rack. By extending the frame rails you will get two points of support for your shelf. But since I don't own a Scamp, my opinion may be worthless.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 06:14 AM   #6

Trailer: 1996 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel ('TOGETHERNEST' SLEEPS 8
Yes Frank I extended my 5er 1 foot making it a 20 foot
Lyndon Laney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 08:12 AM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
.... I think a commercially made, bolt on receiver is available for Scamps. Results shouldn't be any worse than a rear bike rack. By extending the frame rails you will get two points of support for your shelf. But since I don't own a Scamp, my opinion may be worthless.
Orbital is building receiver hitches for both the Scamps and Casitas.. along with a bunch of other really cool stuff! Check it out: Scamp Travel Trailer Products Right now, they're working on a bracket to add shocks to the torsion axles. Cool beans! And, if I had a Honda generator, I'd definitely buy the LowPro LockDown generator security system
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp