Rear View Camera Question - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-05-2014, 12:50 PM   #15

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
One of the main reasons for putting our camera inside the rear windows was to protect it from water. So many of the reviews talked about water infiltration.

As to dirt I don't expect the camera lens would get any more grime than the rear window. The reality is you're not trying to read the lisence plate of the car behind you, just its presence.

The weakness of behind the window is condensation on the window.

We now have two cameras and screens to compare. One screen is larger, however both seem to have the same quality. I suspect we'll initially use the smaller one in the Odyssey just because it's easier to locate.

The camera with the smaller screen also seems to have a wider field of view. The wider field almost totally eliminates the blind spot.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 02:10 PM   #16

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Carl, did you get my PM?

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 02:15 PM   #17
CPW

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Flori-duh!
Registry
Donna,
I got the measurements but not the pictures. I left my email address on your Escape Profile Page (thought I was PM-ing you but I messed up). I'm going to send you my email by PM right away here on FGRV.

Sent via Mental Telepathy directly to Fiberglass RV
Old 09-05-2014, 03:28 PM   #18

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
I have purchased a 2 camera system; one for the trailer and the other fits on the license plate bracket for when I'm not connected.
I'd be interested in knowing what system you purchased. 2 cameras caught my attention.
Old 09-06-2014, 02:40 PM   #19

Name: Denny
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Michigan
I put my camera (rear view safety systems, $200 for the kit) outside above the rear door of the Snoozy. I see no point in not having it as high as possible. We are very happy with it after two winters and probably 25,000 miles of towing.

It works, but poor image quality, in the rain. Water on the lens blurs the optics. Never gets dirty enough to affect the image.

Very poor image quality at night. Headlights at all close just cause lens flare. We try not to get caught towing after dark anyway.

I just towed a 7' wide boat 1300 miles using strap on extension mirrors. OK but I like the rear view camera a lot better.

Denny Wolfe
Wanderingourway.wordpress.com
Old 09-06-2014, 03:28 PM   #20

Florida
Denny,

We put our camera inside because rain and electronics don't mix as well as lens issues.

As well our camera/monitor costs were each less than $50, probably near the cost of a good set of mirrors. I agree it's definitely better than extended mirrors, providing more information.

We haven't used ours at night, we have never towed in the dark.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 09-06-2014, 11:18 PM   #21

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Alabama
Carl, Our camera is not permanently mounted. We have a spare tire mounted on the rear bumper, and we clip the camera to the spokes of the spare tire where it's recessed and fairly well protected. It's only about 3 feet off the ground, but the view tells us everything we want to know - if there is someone directly behind us that we can't see in the tow vehicle's side mirrors. When we stop to do some sightseeing or get where we're going to camp, we just remove it and store it inside the tow vehicle or camper until we need it again. Not being permanently mounted, it's easy to use for other purposes and with other vehicles when not needed for towing our camper. Dale
Old 09-07-2014, 07:10 AM   #22

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Oswego, NY
Registry
I have a 2 camera system purchased from Rear View Safety. With the trailer kit they supply a cable with connectors to go between the trailer & tow vehicle. It is a bit of a pain - much heavier than necessary (it is a round 7 pin trailer connector).

It uses a 5" monitor mounted on the dash at the driver's extreme left. Good location since it is line with the outside rear view mirrors; does not distract while viewing. A switch on the monitor is used to go between cameras. I don't believe they have the 5" monitor any more - they now supply a 7".

The one I added to the back of the RAV4 is slightly off center about 6" above the hitch ball. I couldn't center it because of the license plate mount - the offset takes a bit of getting used to when hitching.

The camera on the Escape is mounted center above the rear window. Good location. I have found it useful as an extra rear view mirror, but not all that helpful backing into a site - the very wide angle view produces a false sense of distance...
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 07:52 AM   #23

Florida
Jon,

I assume your camera image provides a lined overlay on your display. Doesn't this overlay help define distance and position?

We have mounted our camera display in the center because Ginny likes seeing what's happening behind us; she really behaves like a second driver.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 09-07-2014, 08:00 AM   #24

Florida
Jon,

Our display has a lined overlay to indicate distances on the displayed image. I calibrated mine. We're finding the calibrated display of the Odyssey to be particularly valuable when parking since we're still getting used to the size.

We mount our display in the center because Ginny likes to know what's happening behind us. She's really like a second driver and really the primary observer of passenger side traffic. I never move right without her OK.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 09-07-2014, 11:07 AM   #25

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Oswego, NY
Registry
No overlay, just a picture.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 12:18 PM   #26

Florida
Odyssey Backup Camera Overlay

This is a picture of the Odyssey's backup camera display. It is similar to the one for the trailer except the distances from bar to bar are about 3 to 4 times as great.

An advantage of the trailer's display is that each horizontal line is a different color.

On the Odyssey the dotted line is 2 feet from the ball. The first solid line is 3 feet, the second 5' and the third 8 '. The width at the 3 foot line is 8'.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
1410110321263.jpg  

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 09-07-2014, 01:03 PM   #27

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
I don't use a backup camera but do use a dash cam in the back window to record tailgaters so I can report them.

If I am slowing traffic down then I pull over and let them go but this is not normally the case with my driving style.

Aggressive drivers is the only reason the camera is in place.
Old 09-07-2014, 01:20 PM   #28

Florida
Daniel,

I rarely find aggressive drivers on my tail. Generally we drive roads where it's not necessary. On Interstates we stay to the right.

On non Interstates we are generally slower than much of the traffic and will always pull over if passing zones are not available. Fortunately we travel little traveled roads most of the time.

The aggressive drivers I see are those that dash from lane to lane attempting to gain advantage on multi-lane roads.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16