Rearview LCD monitor - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-27-2007, 09:31 PM   #29

Name: Per
Trailer: 2000 Burro 17 ft Widebody towed by Touareg TDI
Oregon
Registry
Thanks, Brian!

The connector brackets are fastened to the hitch member with stainless steel machine screws (drill-and tap method). Just bent aluminum pieces. My goal is to have an array of about a dozen Pollaks mounted back there.

The pins connect to the usual six, plus one for the high-mounted third brakelight and two extras, one of which could be a backup lights and an "insurance" wire for whatever weird application I can come up with next.

Old 01-29-2007, 03:45 PM   #30

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Johnny H, have you installed one of these VR3's and IF so, did you install the camera on the tow vehicle OR the back of the trailer (for better rearward visibility)??

John Perry, I have received one of these cameras for Christmas and its ONLY because we have had such cold, windy, snowy weather here on the north west coast that I haven't attempted an install.

I had "planned" to mount it to the back of our Dakota p/u to use as a drivers aid for backing up. Also planned to use it to guide me back to the hitch on the Trillium. IF it worked well enough, I'll either get a second one and mount it to the back of our "real" tow vehicle, our 37 Dodge Hot-Rod. IT could REALLY use something like this for backing up as the rear window is rather smallish and mounted rather high up on the body, making ANY backing up a chore, let alone tryin g to use it to help guide me back on top of the trailer hitch!!

So, I'm looking for a 'bottom line' before I go tryin it out, return it OR.....????

Old 01-29-2007, 08:28 PM   #31

Name: John
Trailer: 1996 13 ft Scamp
California
Send a message via AIM to John Perry
Quote:
Johnny H, have you installed one of these VR3's and IF so, did you install the camera on the tow vehicle OR the back of the trailer (for better rearward visibility)??

John Perry, I have received one of these cameras for Christmas and its ONLY because we have had such cold, windy, snowy weather here on the north west coast that I haven't attempted an install.
So, I'm looking for a 'bottom line' before I go tryin it out, return it OR.....????

I have mounted mine on the rear of the trailer. It's OK, my biggest problem is finding a place to conveniently mount the monitor on the dash. It has to be in your direct line of sight or the pic is not very good.
It should be OK for just hooking to your trailer. The power line to the house is near my driveway and I get a lot of interference from it. Do you remember the horizontal control on the TV when you were a kid? These units need one if you are near a power line.
If I were to do it over again I think I would buy the better components and go to a direct wired system. It is in so I guess I will keep this one.
You may not have as much interference if you are going to mount it on the tug as the distance will be shorter.
Hope this helps,
John
Old 01-30-2007, 04:26 PM   #32

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Thanks John, it looks as if the thing might just work for my purposses anyway!!!
I'll test fir it to the Dakota (will be used mainly as a set of eyes for backing up) and IF it works I'll try it on the ol' Plymouth. Might just need too get another kit (might just be a good use of Canadian J_ _ k money too, LOL!)
Old 09-27-2008, 12:00 PM   #33

Trailer: Casita
I've been planning on buying a remote camera, but instead of using it for backing, I want to use it for security, when I'm in my Casita ... I have no front-window to look thru, if I heard suspicious noises, for example ... I think having a camera mounted on the roof of my tow vehicle (a fullsize van with roof-mounted solar panel) with the monitor in the trailer, would allow me to look rearward towards my trailer, thus seeing all the way around it ... comments ?