Rearview LCD monitor - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2006, 07:22 PM   #21

Trailer: 1975 Boler 13 ft
Send a message via Yahoo to Johnny H
North of the border these are on sale at Canadian Tire

http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/product_...fromSearch=true
Johnny H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 04:22 PM   #22

Trailer: 1996 13 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to John Perry
Quote:
North of the border these are on sale at Canadian Tire

http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/product_...fromSearch=true

Save yourself the time and money. I just installed on and they are worthless.
John
John Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 09:07 PM   #23

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
The system is in and functional. The pictures tell the story, but I should note that the monitor is held in place entirely with Velcro and can be removed in a few seconds, for those times when you don't need it or you are parked in a questionable area.

The connections are as shown: I turned a wooden plug for the Pollak so that the coax could be installed. Silicone was used to seal what I could. The connector is stainless steel with an o-ring seal, so i hope it doesn't deteriorate anytime soon. I've been upgrading charge wiring, etc. so the main connector is a Pollak 9-pin.

I tried to mount the van rearview camera outside, but there did not seem to be a viable (and reversible) solution, so I made an aluminum bracket and just screwed it to a trim piece on the inside of the tailgate. Snaking the wiring into the tailgate was less of a problem than I had anticipated. When the transmission is in reverse, the system defaults to this camera, but I wired a switch in to enable the trailer camera to be used when in reverse, for campsite backing.

The trailer camera, here nicely decorated with snow, was also attached with an aluminum bracket. The wire came with a useful grommet which made it possible to drill through the hull (shudder) with some expectation that it would not leak (backed up with sealant, however). The wire enters the interior covered by the center trim strip in the Burro, so that was no problem. It also means that repairs or checks for moisture can be done in seconds. The sole remaining item in this project is to make a small "awning" over the camera to protect it, even though the claim is that it is 100% waterproof.

There is audio to the little speaker on the back of the monitor from the trailer camera. We'll see if it is practical. There seems to be a number of adjustments to the picture and sound, some of which are accessible only through the little remote control. It can also be used to check video from video cameras and the like.

Seems to work well, but the monitor is sensitive to changes in vertical viewing angle, so I may have to tweak the mount for optimal picture angle. The control buttons have a soft blue backlighting which turns on automatically when the ambient light gets dim. I installed a cutoff switch for the whole system, since the screen has a very faint light level even when not in use.

First tests have been good, but I think using the screen effectively when driving is going to be an aquired skill.
Attached Thumbnails
Connectors_open.jpg  
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 09:14 PM   #24

Registry
Van rearview camera.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1186.jpg  
Old 01-27-2007, 09:15 PM   #25

Registry
Monitor.
Attached Thumbnails
RVcamera2.jpg  
Old 01-27-2007, 09:17 PM   #26

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
The connections are as shown: I turned a wooden plug for the Pollak so that the coax could be installed...
Nicely done!

Hitches generally don't come with two connector brackets, so I assume at least the second one is a custom addition. How are these ones attached to the receiver frame, Per?

Quote:
I've been upgrading charge wiring, etc. so the main connector is a Pollak [b]9-pin....
The FiberglassRV electrical connection record goes to Per (no surprise) Someday I would like to hear what all those pins are carrying.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 09:17 PM   #27

Registry
Monitor, showing the back of my garage door.
Attached Thumbnails
RVcamera3.jpg  
Old 01-27-2007, 09:18 PM   #28

Registry
Trailer camera.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1167.jpg  
Old 01-27-2007, 09:31 PM   #29

Registry
Thanks, Brian!

The connector brackets are fastened to the hitch member with stainless steel machine screws (drill-and tap method). Just bent aluminum pieces. My goal is to have an array of about a dozen Pollaks mounted back there.

The pins connect to the usual six, plus one for the high-mounted third brakelight and two extras, one of which could be a backup lights and an "insurance" wire for whatever weird application I can come up with next.
Old 01-29-2007, 03:45 PM   #30

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Johnny H, have you installed one of these VR3's and IF so, did you install the camera on the tow vehicle OR the back of the trailer (for better rearward visibility)??

John Perry, I have received one of these cameras for Christmas and its ONLY because we have had such cold, windy, snowy weather here on the north west coast that I haven't attempted an install.

I had "planned" to mount it to the back of our Dakota p/u to use as a drivers aid for backing up. Also planned to use it to guide me back to the hitch on the Trillium. IF it worked well enough, I'll either get a second one and mount it to the back of our "real" tow vehicle, our 37 Dodge Hot-Rod. IT could REALLY use something like this for backing up as the rear window is rather smallish and mounted rather high up on the body, making ANY backing up a chore, let alone tryin g to use it to help guide me back on top of the trailer hitch!!

So, I'm looking for a 'bottom line' before I go tryin it out, return it OR.....????
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 08:28 PM   #31

Trailer: 1996 13 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to John Perry
Quote:
Johnny H, have you installed one of these VR3's and IF so, did you install the camera on the tow vehicle OR the back of the trailer (for better rearward visibility)??

John Perry, I have received one of these cameras for Christmas and its ONLY because we have had such cold, windy, snowy weather here on the north west coast that I haven't attempted an install.
So, I'm looking for a 'bottom line' before I go tryin it out, return it OR.....????

I have mounted mine on the rear of the trailer. It's OK, my biggest problem is finding a place to conveniently mount the monitor on the dash. It has to be in your direct line of sight or the pic is not very good.
It should be OK for just hooking to your trailer. The power line to the house is near my driveway and I get a lot of interference from it. Do you remember the horizontal control on the TV when you were a kid? These units need one if you are near a power line.
If I were to do it over again I think I would buy the better components and go to a direct wired system. It is in so I guess I will keep this one.
You may not have as much interference if you are going to mount it on the tug as the distance will be shorter.
Hope this helps,
John
John Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 04:26 PM   #32

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Thanks John, it looks as if the thing might just work for my purposses anyway!!!
I'll test fir it to the Dakota (will be used mainly as a set of eyes for backing up) and IF it works I'll try it on the ol' Plymouth. Might just need too get another kit (might just be a good use of Canadian J_ _ k money too, LOL!)
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 11:00 AM   #33

Trailer: Casita
I've been planning on buying a remote camera, but instead of using it for backing, I want to use it for security, when I'm in my Casita ... I have no front-window to look thru, if I heard suspicious noises, for example ... I think having a camera mounted on the roof of my tow vehicle (a fullsize van with roof-mounted solar panel) with the monitor in the trailer, would allow me to look rearward towards my trailer, thus seeing all the way around it ... comments ?
Jimmy M. is offline   Reply With Quote