Rearview LCD monitor - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2006, 09:17 AM   #1

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
I've been living with an almost useless extension to my rear view side mirror. The Burro is wider than most FRVs and I get reminded in an unpleasant way quite often that the setup is a safety hazard.

An appropriate picture-flipping camera is available from All Electronics but I'm drawing pretty much a blank for the 3" to 6" LCD color monitor to put on top of the dash. I'm going for a wired setup. Can anyone steer me to something useful (and moderately priced)?
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 09:58 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I think Paul (jrnutpaul) has a rearview camera/monitor in the tug setup?? hummm, seems like he posted some of the details in a topic here
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 12:34 PM   #3

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
If any of those portable DVD players with their own screen has an external input, it might work. A related possibility is a second "extension" screen for one of the DVD players which is designed to mount on the back of a seat.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 12:43 PM   #4

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
I was sauntering through the local Wal-Mart a couple of days ago and they had a complete setup for about $100. As I remember it was in the electronics section of the store, not with the RV stuff.

Seemed like a good price. I almost bought it.

Loren
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 06:41 PM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Costco is advertising a colour baby monitor which has about a 2.5" screen, but is very portable and wireless, with a 300 foot range outdoors. Both the camera and monitor can be powered by batteries, so perhaps rechargeables may be the answer. I might order one, sight unseen and see if it fills the bill.

Anyone tried one>
Rick B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 06:46 PM   #6

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
like these ?
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 07:29 PM   #7

Registry
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm still working on it, but I had a breakthrough in searching the web for information about this. I may be onto something and will report soon if I am successful. Thanks!
Old 11-01-2006, 05:18 AM   #8

Trailer: 1994 20 ft Bigfoot 5th Wheel / Toyota Tacoma SR5
Per...see if this helps

http://electronics.search.ebay.com/rear-vi...Z48604QQsapplZ1

Paul
jrnutpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 09:42 AM   #9

Registry
Thanks, Paul, but the die is cast, the camera is pointed, the monitor is on, etc.

Tomorrow, as the prolonged rains start to foil my plans, I will receive the system I decided on ( Ebay #260043385117). Cobbling a system together from various items would have cost me almost as much as this system, so I decided to go with coordinated units. Two-camera capability, 5" screen, CCD sensor, night vision, etc. We'll see.

In a related development, I will want to "collar" a State Trooper sometime after the system is successfully installed to see what his reaction is in terms of satisfying the legal requirements for mirrors, etc. The extension mirror I clip onto the side mirror is a joke, being clearly unusable and a cosmetic step only. If this rear-view system works (camera on the back of the trailer) I hope it will take care of the legal requirements, because I suspect it will be far better and improve safety by a large margin. Have you found that to be true?
Old 11-01-2006, 10:08 AM   #10

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
The extension mirror I clip onto the side mirror is a joke, being clearly unusable and a cosmetic step only.
Per, would this type work for you: Tow-N-See Mirror

Name:   Mirror.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  8.8 KB

New item at Camping World.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 10:34 AM   #11

Trailer: Bigfoot Silver Cloud -1988
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Ah, the joys of being able to see straight through my Burro! Using the big front and back windows of the Burro, I only have a small blind spot at each corner. It was great driving to Yellowstone and back. It might be nice to have a small backward-facing camera for backing into tight spaces, but that's what I thought a spouse was for (yelling and waving are an extra bonus!).
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 12:22 PM   #12

sorry will post it again
Dan Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 07:09 PM   #13

Registry
Donna: As you can see, it is likely a moot point since I am expecting the system tomorrow. However, it is an interesting design, but I would guess the attachment is so flimsy that it would vibrate incessantly, changing alignment with every shift in the wind and bump in the road. Based on my old extension mirror this one lacks the fundamental physical attributes of: triangulation and stiffness. Look for it to have a short life at Camping World. If it actually works it would be an improvement on the viewing angle of my present setup.

Dan: I would be interested in the review but I don't seem to be able to open it without giving away my life secrets. Is there another form where I could access it?
Old 11-02-2006, 09:34 AM   #14

Per

Pat and I are in Garden Home...If you want to come over and see my system give us a call...503 452 2928...My camera looks out the rear window and the 12v source is from a running light as I always travel with them on.

Paul
Old 11-02-2006, 04:12 PM   #15

Quote:
Donna: As you can see, it is likely a moot point since I am expecting the system tomorrow. However, it is an interesting design, but I would guess the attachment is so flimsy that it would vibrate incessantly, changing alignment with every shift in the wind and bump in the road. Based on my old extension mirror this one lacks the fundamental physical attributes of: triangulation and stiffness. Look for it to have a short life at Camping World. If it actually works it would be an improvement on the viewing angle of my present setup.

Dan: I would be interested in the review but I don't seem to be able to open it without giving away my life secrets. Is there another form where I could access it?
SORRY HERE IT IS

THE REVIEW REGARDING THE VR3 WIRELESS SYSTEM SOLD AT WALMART

well all not happy with system here are copies of the emails sent and recived..i will be returning theunit in the am and on to the hunt for another system

Dan

Dear Dan,

Thank you for contacting Roadmaster Technical Support. You emailed us
the following:
: i have so much interference it is not usable 80% of the time i
thought it was the way it was wired in redid it no better made sure cell
phone was off as well very disatisfied with the camera if you can not help
me fix i will return thank you Dan

In response:
Since this system uses a wireless signal to transfer the video feed, we
need to advise you that any type of other wireless devices nearby could
interfere with the signal from the camera. Those devices include:
cell phone towers, cell phones currently in use, any bluetooth devices,
wifi routers in you or your neighbors homes. Try testing the device
somewhere that you know there is no wireless interference. Also, the
wireless range for this system is 25' to 30' so any application longer than
that will not function properly, if at all. Also, what kind of vehicle
do you have it on?

Sent: Tuesday, October 24, 2006 10:58 AM
To: Connor Chris
Subject: Re: Roadmaster Work Order 6189

it is in a 2006 gmc pick up..camera to display is 12 foot

responce:

Roadmaster Technical Support

It could be possible that since you are using a heavy duty vehicle, the system might not be working properly. We have been noticing that the systems do not work as well on heavy duty vehicles like large pickup trucks or work vans. The reason for this is because vehicle maker’s use 2 to 3 times more metal when manufacturing these vehicles to make sure they can handle the heavy duty work they are going to be put through. Unfortunately, the more metal between the monitor and camera, the harder it is for the signal to get to the monitor. Since it’s a wireless signal, the signal’s strength has to be regulated by the FCC. Once regulated, we could only make the signal so strong. I suggest exchanging the unit for a wired version, as that sounds more suitable for your specific vehicle. We apologize about the inconvenience.

Sincerely,

Chris Connor

Roadmaster

41 James Way

Eatontown, NJ 07724

732.542.8400 ext. 201

chrisc@roadmasterusa.com
Dan Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 10:17 AM   #16

Registry
Thanks, Dan, it reinforced my suspicions. My son the electronics and computer guy, advised me to get a wired system, so I did, and it arrived yesterday. With the opening of the skies here it will be quite a while before I get around to the installation.

I ordered one camera, which will be mounted on the back of the trailer. A second camera will be ordered and mounted on the back of the van IF the original setup works properly. The screen is 5" diagonal, which may be big enough so that I don't kill myself squinting at the screen when I should be watching the road.

Pat: after I successfully install this gizmo I would like to compare notes and see yours so that I can learn how to tweak this installation. The camera housing seems uncommonly well constructed, apparently meant to withstand the elements and the jostling, and the monitor mounts and numerous alternative mounting opportunities will hopefully allow a decent positioning without totally trashing the dash. It irks me to put so many electronics (which will eventually fail) into this Burro, but I don't really see a viable alternative to deal with rear vision.
Old 11-03-2006, 03:43 PM   #17

Trailer: 1996 13 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to John Perry
Quote:
SORRY HERE IT IS

well all not happy with system here are copies of the emails sent and recived..i will be returning theunit in the am and on to the hunt for another system
Dan
Dear Dan,

Thank you for contacting Roadmaster Technical Support. You emailed us
the following:
: i have so much interference it is not usable 80% of the time i
thought it was the way it was wired in redid it no better made sure cell
phone was off as well very disatisfied with the camera if you can not help
me fix i will return thank you Dan

in response
Since this system uses a wireless signal to transfer the video feed, we
need to advise you that any type of other wireless devices nearby could
interfere with the signal from the camera. Those devices include:
cell phone towers, cell phones currently in use, any bluetooth devices,
wifi routers in you or your neighbors homes. Try testing the device
somewhere that you know there is no wireless interference. Also, the
wireless range for this system is 25' to 30' so any application longer than
that will not function properly, if at all. Also, what kind of vehicle
do you have it on?

I should have read this thread before I bought this system at Costco today.
I was wandering around while having new tires put on my PU and saw the VR3 for $89.00. I don't have trouble backing my trailer but I am a gadget guy and this looked interesting.
It would be great when in the MTS. and you get one of those nuts that wants to pass that is so close to your rear that you can't see him.
At least at Costco you can return it if it does not work.
I will have it installed in the next day or 2 and will let you all know if I have any better luck.
John

PS: Is there anyone that can go in Costco and just buy what they went in for?
John Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 06:32 PM   #18

I had a wireless system when Pat and I had the 17' Bigfoot trailer...3 years ago.

When ever I passed a 7/11 the monitor in the truck would show the view of the customers at the checkout register. Once in a while I'd pick up a TV signal...probally someone sending a wireless signal from a main TV to another unit somewhere else in the house.

When we sold that trailer we included the wireless system in the deal and I purchased a wired camera for the next go round ($39.00 @ X10.com)

Now only my turn signals cause slight interference.

Paul
Old 11-06-2006, 06:41 PM   #19

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
For those of you who have installed wired video systems:
How do you make the trailer-to-tug connection? I assume you have another cable, in addition to the usual lights-and-brakes cable, but what type of connection does your system use (BNC, cable TV style F-connector...), and how practical do you find this connection?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 07:04 PM   #20

Trailer: 1996 13 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to John Perry
[quote]
SORRY HERE IT IS

Dan

Hi Dan.

How much did you shorten the camera wire? I would assume the wire is the transmitting antenna. I was thinking about leaving it the full length and fastening the excess to the underside of the rear seat bench in my Scamp. More antenna to transmit but then again more antenna to pick up interference. I have a short bed Tacoma PU so they can't use the heavy duty truck excuse with me.
Most of my camping is in the Mts. so maby the interference will not be so bad.
I am going to install mine tomorrow as it will not take very long. If it does not work it will go back to Costco.

Thanks,
John
John Perry is offline   Reply With Quote