Reattaching Scamp belly band - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2015, 09:01 PM   #1

Name: Tony
Trailer: Scamp - "The Haunted Mansion" (13') and TBD (16')
Colorado
Registry
Reattaching Scamp belly band

With our trailer coming back from being painted soon, we need to think about reattaching the polished and waxed belly band. The rivets that held it in were not doing a very good job before...

What have others done? What type of fasteners have you used? Did you put butyl tape under the aluminum band?

Thanks!

Tony (aka Sohkraites)
Sohkraites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 07:44 PM   #2

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Since the belly band is not structural, the pop rivets are probably the best option. Maybe you could go up one size, from 1/8 dia. to 5/32 dia. if the fiberglass holes are too loose after removing the old rivets. Then just seal the top edge with a clear caulk. White would not go with your new paint, most probably.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 07:46 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
IMHO stay away from clear caulk... it doesn't stay clear for long. Turns to a muddy, grundgy looking "stuff." White might not match your paint job, but you can clean it and bleach it.

Since the belly band isn't structural... maybe you'd prefer small/tiny stainless steel bolts with a plastic washer under the head to prevent galling when against the aluminum.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 07:57 PM   #4

Colorado
Registry
What was in there to start with were pop rivets, but they went through the top of the belly band, and through the two fiberglass lips (one from the top of the trailer, and one from the bottom), but not through the bottom of the aluminum band.... How they ever stayed on is beyond me. A lot of the holes were broken out...and I tried to fix them, but figured I'd just drill new ones and then put in SOME kind of fastener. I saw this one and thought that might work great...the trick is finding them locally.

RIVETS Non-Removable R-Tite Rivets ITW Fastex

I'm concerned that regular pop rivets would have nasty edges hanging below the belly band which would catch on stuff... These at least would be fairly flush.

And I would never use caulk of any kind...especially after having to fight getting the old stuff off the trailer to start with. I was thinking I might put a strip of butyl tape under the aluminum band before I attach it with rivets to keep moisture and debris from working down underneath it. Is that a good idea or not?

Of course, the small bolt/nut thing might be the answer. Cheap, readily available and can be removed without too much damage should we ever have to replace/repair the trailer/belly band area.
Old 04-27-2015, 08:31 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Others may jump in, but Tony there's a thin bead of white caulk on the belly band of my Scamp. It helps keep dirt/dust/small twigs and general grime out of the small area between the belly band and the body. The caulk actually works very well for that purpose.

I'm not telling you that you need to do this.. but, if you decide to go ahead and run a bead of caulk at the top.. first run a strip of painters tape close to the area you want to caulk. Once caulked, carefully pull off the tape. You'll end up with a clean edge all the way around and not a big ole mess of caulk up the body.

Best of luck with your decision.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 07:04 AM   #6

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I am refinishing the inside and outside of my Scamp and one problem is the PO painted the unit white. That in itself is not a problem, if he had done a better job.
Unfortunately the pain is poorly done and the belly band was caulked before it was painted and of course the paint is also flaking where it is over the previous caulking.
I plan to remove the band, make certain that the junction is well sealed and re-install the band after the outside is painted. They I will caulk the top to keep the water from puddling there.
I think I have a lead just out from the door since I have had to replace the floor in that area.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 07:26 AM   #7

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Donna is definitely right about the purpose of the caulk bead on top of the belly band. The way Scamp mounts the U-channel aluminum band is pretty clean. The two piece rivets that you linked to require that you drill through both sides of the U, and probably end up deforming it when you set those things, and the band would still be loose. The blind pop rivets only need to go through the top part and the lip only, resulting in a relatively clean look and only small amount of caulking to be done. If the edges of the belly seam were ripped up in removing the belly band, or the holes are too big, I would epoxy or polyester resin fill them and re-drill when reinstalling the band. If you start with a new, straight piece of channel, you will need some fixtures to make the bends cleanly.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 09:58 PM   #8

Colorado
Registry
Thanks guys! I don't know which way to go yet. I will have to see once we get the trailer back from the painter. What kind of caulk do you all recommend?

Tags
scamp