Rebuild--rear-ended Uhaul CT13 - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-31-2014, 04:35 PM   #15

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Gary; have you read through the "common problems" thread in the files section on the Uhaul Facebook page. We tried to put together a list of issues common to most of the Uhauls. One thing that is getting overlooked is the rusting away of the body mount bolts. Since some of them are located under the carpet area the time to replace them is when the floor is being redone. I'm finding many owners put down new flooring without being aware of this issue.

Old 08-31-2014, 09:37 PM   #16

Name: Gary
Trailer: UHaul CT13
Iowa
I have looked at that "common problems" post. Not studied in detail... but I had noticed references to the body-to-frame bolts rusting away. I definitely will replace all or most of them while going about the structural repairs over the winter. Perhaps with stainless steel, if there's no reason not to do that. [I noticed that the ones at the rear of the body broke loose from the impact.]

Got the back end pretty well tacked together between yesterday and today... cracks/tears relatively aligned and band-aided with peal-and-seal roofing repair stuff... back vertical seam bolted with 1/4" bolts every so often. Things look better now... and feel firmer. Ordered a cover for it from eBay, too, so I won't be too paranoid for the time it has to sit outside in the weather. A few pics should be attached...........
Attached Thumbnails
14-0831-01.jpg   14-0831-02.jpg  

Old 08-31-2014, 09:41 PM   #17

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
OMG compared to the first pics of the Bashed End Beauty... other than a plastic bag window, your U-haul ALMOST looks campable!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 07:16 PM   #18

Iowa
Getting closer... keyword "ALMOST" ready to think about camping! Only recent action is in regard to tail lights. A number of my old-vehicle customers are looking for "resto-mod" work to be done... not blatantly different than original, but upgraded somewhat for safety, or convenience, or cost, or functionality... something. That's been my thinking on the tail light assemblies for the U-Haul... something close to the look of the originals, but more readily available components, and ideally less leak-prone.

Yesterday, I got a pair of tail light assemblies, with sockets & wiring pigtails, from a local salvage yard (86 Chevy fleetside... I think Bob Griebe suggested on an earlier post that they were similar). $31.80 total. My plan is to fabricate a recessed mounting surface, with angled flanges on the sides, flat flanges on top and bottom, that come outward and are glued to the backside of the existing fiberglass. Then, a little sanding and rounding of the corners all around the new recess/opening to finish.
When done, the center of the Chevy tail light would be flush with the UHaul curvature, and the vertical edges slightly recessed.

Disadvantage(s) would be that I'd be slightly altering the stock corners of the camper--no handy way of going back to stock lenses. Also, I'd have painting to do--but I do anyway.
I think I'll like having back-up lenses present... and run a new wire for them, and/or just add a whole new trailer wiring harness kit from the local Northern Tools & Equipment or some such.

Advantages, as I see it, would be 'fairly' stock appearance... with inexpensive new lenses available for some time, as there were a lot of those pickups etc produced, so the aftermarket is likely to support them for quite a while... and ease of sealing against leaks in what's apparently a leak-prone area.
If my recessed-pocket approach works for me and looks good to others, I will have saved the wooden plug that I built the pocket around, and could make more. [No, I'm not trying to promote this approach for either fame or fortune... just looking for alternatives.]
I got what I thought was a good deal buying a used pair of assemblies locally, but all the pieces are available new via eBay or Amazon--lenses, housings, and bulb sockets. Probably also available as new aftermarket pieces via auto parts stores. $75 or so for all the new, aftermarket pieces???

I'll put some pictures up when I get the fabricating of the 'pockets' underway......
Old 09-09-2014, 08:30 PM   #19

Oregon
I bow down to your decisions! (buy more of those "stock" Chev lenses and put them on the garage shelf!) They're close enough to stock...

It's not like the masses are ever going to say "Look Gladys, non stock U-Haul lenses"! Done with professional skills and professional results, no one would ever know... or CARE!
Old 09-10-2014, 07:56 AM   #20

Iowa
Thanks, Donna!

Your replies are always encouraging, as well as light-hearted. I'll keep y'all posted.........

Gary
Old 09-10-2014, 08:10 AM   #21

Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I saw two other Uhaul tail light modifications that I like. One had fiberglassed in the original opening and flush mounted the 2 X 6" oval lights vertically. The other was also fiberglassed in staying with the original curve but used surface mount lights. The flush mounted lights looked better but the surface mount would be less prone to leaking. A flush mount that has a flange would be better than the type I'm used to on trucks that sets in a rubber mount.
Old 09-10-2014, 08:57 AM   #22

Iowa
I've been saving descriptions and/or pictures of different taillight options for the last month... and yes, there are several options that look both do-able and respectable. I might not be pursuing this 80's GM pickup option if I didn't already have a lot of fiberglass repair work to do back there. Since I do, though, this seems like a minor, "warm-up exercise" to do... most of which I can do while the camper sits outside. And I'd have to admit that it also appeals to the make-do, gear-head part of me.....
Old 09-19-2014, 07:49 PM   #23

Iowa
Well... getting close to having the form/plug made up for creating my fiberglass "buckets" for the taillights. Glued n screwed 2 scraps of wood together, and shaped them to the needed size and contour of the pocket, and glued n screwed a piece of heavy sheet metal to that--the oversized metal will be the form for the flange at the edge of the "pocket", which will get glued or glassed to the inside of the camper shell. Tonight, I rounded the edges of the wood pieces, and used automotive seam-sealer to make a fillet in the inside corners. A few days from now, I'll be painting some customer parts, and will shoot several layers of clear on the form... and then sand it smooth, so that the fiberglass "pocket" will hopefully let go of it when cured. I found an online source for mold-release, that I'll order this evening... should be here by the time the form's ready.

BTW, I think I know what I'm doing--but I've never done this before, so I'm not intending to be preach-y here. Just describing what I'm trying to do. In a week or so, I hope to have some newly-made parts to put into play.

Pic attached is from my not-so-smart phone... better ones further on, if this all works.
Attached Thumbnails
Taillight-fab-01.jpg  
Old 09-22-2014, 09:28 AM   #24

Name: Rick
Trailer: Burro
Massachusetts
Hi Gary,

If you are willing to do more of a mod to the rear of your CT, you may want to consider the bumper. Your original looks to be toast and might need to be replaced. Several of us who have CTs and Burros believe that the original bumper on the CT is too large and too flat and detracts from the cool curvature of the camper. Replacing it with a custom tubular one made from bent black iron pipe or similar would be a great mod. And from what I read, I'll bet that you have the skills to do this....just a suggestion.

Rick
Old 09-22-2014, 10:41 AM   #25

New York
Original bumper

I want to put my two cents in and disagree with Rick, I like the looks of the original bumper and don't think it takes away from the curve of the body, but to each thier own, just my two cents worth
Old 09-22-2014, 01:14 PM   #26

Iowa
Thanks for the suggestions. I confess, I don't know what to do about the bumper yet. IF I can straighten it [not too likely], I'd thought about trimming it down just a bit on the ends.

Also have considered making one out of somewhat less massive rectangular steel tubing or some such.

Also saw a Scamp or Burro that was to be fitted with a 57 Chevy truck rear bumper.(?) Looked nice, but that camper rear end was somewhat different shaped, so not sure about that. [I DO have a rural junkyard just down the road that's overflowing with 40's-70's cars and trucks, though... using something from there is tempting.]

But that decision will probably wait till spring...
Old 09-30-2014, 07:22 PM   #27

Iowa
First tail-light "bucket" popped off the form today!

Not a perfect fit with the GM tail-lamp assembly, but pretty close. I've sanded a bit on the edges of the GM part, so now it settles into the bucket pretty well. Need to tweak the opening in the back of the bucket a little more, so the tail-light assembly will fully nestle into it. If I have to tweak the bucket or the light assembly too much, I'll back up and modify the form before casting the bucket for the other side.
But at this point, I'm just happy that it's fitting pretty close... and that the form release agent worked like it was supposed to, and the part popped right off of the form earlier today. So far, so good.

Gary... grinning in Iowa...
Attached Thumbnails
14-0930-taillight-01.jpg   14-0930-taillight-02.jpg  

14-0930-taillight-03.jpg  
Old 09-30-2014, 09:37 PM   #28

Oregon
"Pretty close" works for us if it works for you

Love following along on the big rebuilds...

Tags
uhaul