3 Months sure went by in a hurry. Still working at finishing the single remaining customer job so I can retire... getting close. In fact, that's what got me out in the shop on a chilly/rainy Sunday afternoon to do some more work. I have to paint
some pieces for the customer job soon that will be the same paint
& prep as I need to do for the bumper bracket assembly I made for the camper. So I want to paint
them all at the same time. And once painted, I want to re-install that bumper bracket... but that will get in the way of the exterior repair work back there, so best to do that
Since I already put 3-4 layers of matte & resin on the inside of the breaks in the exterior shell, I figured to just grind a shallow bevel along the cracks on the outside... then fill that with some short-strand fiberglass repair compound... then smooth further with conventional body filler before painting
Also wanted to make a fillet in the raw corners where my spare tire well pokes through the outside skin. So I roughened up both sides of that seam with 36-grit grinding disc as well.
Pic 1---ground and ready for patching.
Pic 2---filler material added to resin. Mix-ratio-wise, somewhat more cabosil than resin, to where it approaches the consistency of smooth peanut butter. [This stuff is inexpensive, by the way.
Pic 3---fillet formed. Went pretty well, actually. Mixed it up... put it in a sandwich bag with one corner cut off... squeezed it along the corner/seam... smoothed with the rounded end of a body filler applicator. [one of our soup spoons would have worked, but..........
Pic 4---f/g filler product used. I just wanted a guaranteed-waterproof base layer on these exterior breaks... then I'll grind it down and use regular auto-body filler from there on, which will shape lots easier. [might not be necessary to add this step... call me paranoid
Maybe by next weekend I can at least be painting
, if not installing, the bumper bracket.
Best wishes... Merry Christmas... Gary