Rebuilding my scamp - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-24-2005, 02:38 PM   #1

Trailer: 77 Scamp 13 ft
Unhappy

Im now at the point of deciding how i want my trailer to be set up. I think i could realy use your help and advice.
I have owned a fiew travel trailers before and i have a tent trailer that im using while the scamp is under rebuild.

My problem is that with all my trailers i have found that i never use the onboard water tanks. I fill a 5 gallon water container at home or after i arive where im going. I have a tendency to not use the sink either. I wash things usualy out of a couple small plastic wash tubs. They dont get dumped in the sink i just walk to the nearest tree or bush and give it the water.

If i rebuild my trailer without the water tank and sink/ without plumbing. Do you think i will ever miss it? Is there some advantage that im just not thinking of?
I keep thinking of the saved space. The less dead weight. The extra counter space and the not having to clean the sink. (yes even a unused sink needs cleaning from time to time) Which still blows my mind

I also never use the ice box. I have a big cooler i fill with ice and bevrages. (I like my beer realy cold!) If i decide to keep the icebox i will most likely still always bring along my trusty cooler aswell. Im finding it easyer to not replace the old junky icebox.

The last question i would like an opinion about is this. During the sumer while camping the days are longer and im usualy not inside the trailer using the 12v lights for more than 10 minutes while geting ready for bed. In the winter the days are shorter it gets dark earlyer and im more likely to be inside using lights and the heater for hours at a time. Do you think i would be better off instaling a couple LP gas lights? They would save the power vs the 12v being used for a fiew hours plus they would be helping heat the little trailer?
I know there is more chance of a gas leak/fire but i dont believe its all that mutch more dangerous than the stove or furnace?

Could i ask your oppinion on these things? A fresh outlook on this before i start rebuilding would sure be a help.

Thanks a bunch!
Merrrrry Christmas everyone

Ron

Old 12-24-2005, 03:40 PM   #2

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
What kind of camping do you typically do? Boondocking or full-hook ups or somewhere in between? Here in Oregon in RV parks, both public lands and privately owned parks....it's against the law to dump gray water onto the ground. It's not difficult to find a place to lawfully dump the tanks. Consequently, I'd leave the sink and gray water tank as is. If you can carry enough fresh water in containers, then maybe getting rid of the fresh water tank would be okay. But why? Other than the fact you want the under seat storage for some other purpose. It can't be because it's heavy (empty). You can always fill the fresh water tank when you're closer to where you plan on camping.

One great thing about having a fully self-contained trailer is you spend less time packing/unpacking and moving stuff around because it's already in place, so you can spend more time enjoying yourself.

The big disadvantage is resale value, whether a year from now or five years from now.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 10:55 AM   #3

I have thought about resale value..... Then a shiver goes doun my back thinking about selling my trailer...

I guess if i do decide to keep the sink i will also need to figure out a portable tank sence mine just drains to the outside via a garden hose thingamajig
That will sure be convinent Buy, Cary, Setup and Dump another tank for grey water.

I usualy camp deep in the woods. No hookups for miles. I prefur doing all my cooking on the camp fire if possable but i have been known to take my hotdog stick in the trailer and cook one over the gas stovetop They just dont taste the same

I remember seeing a post about cabellas portable outdoor shower. I remember thinking that would be so great.... now im thinking there probably against the law becouse they dont hold the grey water.

Now im soo depressed

Thanks Donna for your advice

Ron
Old 12-25-2005, 11:45 AM   #4

Trailer: 1977 Scamp 13 ft
Send a message via Yahoo to Jackie
Quote:
If i rebuild my trailer without the water tank and sink/ without plumbing
I agree with Donna - keep the sink. It is not that hard to clean. You can set up just a city water connection if you do not have a fresh water tank (or even if you do). I do not have a fresh water tank (didn't come with one), so I have the city water for campgrounds. When no water connection is available, I use the five gallon container, kept in the tug, and a smaller container in the trailer, as well as a small solar shower for heating water - or you can heat water on the stove and pour into the solar shower (great to use for washing dishes!)

Quote:
I guess if i do decide to keep the sink i will also need to figure out a portable tank sence mine just drains to the outside via a garden hose thingamajig
There was a good discussion of outside water containers...anything from an empty laundry detergent bottle (easy to carry to the pit when full)..up to the 'hot rod on wheels'.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.php?showtopic=13210

Quote:
I remember seeing a post about cabellas portable outdoor shower. I remember thinking that would be so great.... now im thinking there probably against the law becouse they dont hold the grey water
You could always put a rubbermaid tub inside the shower enclosure to catch the water, then dump it in an acceptable manner.

As far as the ice box, try without it. You can always add it back if you want.

Cheer up - it's your trailer - have it your way!
Attached Thumbnails
water.jpg   hot.water.jpg  

Old 12-25-2005, 11:51 AM   #5

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
My first trailer was a Compact Junior that the previous owner had completely gutted out to make an enclosed cargo hauler out of it. I restored it. I faced similar dilemmas as you. However, I was moving up from tent camping.

1. I wired the trailer for 12 volts and installed a deep cycle marine battery. I used flourescent lights... I understood electricity, but wanted simplicity, so I did not install anything propane. (The origonal propane plumbing had been stripped out.) We already had an Igloo 12 volt cooler/warmer that had an adapter to plug into 110 volts A.C. I made a space for it in the "Kitchen" cabinet with both power sources. It was removeable, so it rode in the car while towing, and transferred into the trailer upon camp set-up.

2. I installed a fresh water tank and a manual pump/faucet, but did not install a sink. I considered sinks expensive, and I wanted counter space. The manual faucet was tall enough to fill a dish pan placed on the counter. This also relieved me of drain plumbing. However, since the trailer was mainly used for sleeping, I found that we never used the water tank, either.

3. The other priority for me was a place for the porta-potty.

When I bought the Fiber Stream, I found it nearly impossible to sell the Compact Junior. Why? Besides being painted dark gray on the outside, lacking a stove, sink, & 3-way refridgerator were the reasons.
Attached Images

Old 12-25-2005, 12:58 PM   #6

Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Iowa
Ronnie, if you're building it for you and you intend to keep it and don't particularly care about resale, then build it however you want it. Be creative and enjoy the trailer. A custom job that doesn't mirror the stock floorplans will likely sell much more slowly and perhaps for less than a stock model when you do go to sell it, but it WILL sell eventually. There have been some absolutely marvelous custom interiors done, and yours could easily be one of them. Frankly, if you're inventive about the materials you use and the way you go about the interior, you may have a real show piece when you're done!

Just make sure you take LOTS of photos as you head out on the eve of construction...

Roger
Old 12-25-2005, 02:11 PM   #7

I realy apreceate everyones help. I think in my trailers condition i cant hurt the resale value mutch... I just may end up not increasing it very mutch? Maybe if i do some more thinking about this i can design the interior to suit my use and be easy to put everything back in when/if i decide later to sell it..... Keep the drain thingie and the tank filler in the side so puting everything back later is an option?

I bought my trailer realy cheap... it was full of some guys junk as i figure he was living in it while he was strung out on crack..... I found lots of crack pipes and more than one needle.

Anyways the fiberglass outside is in realy good shape no cracks that i can see. Frame is good. axle is shot but i think thats from old age rather than abuse.

Everything on the inside that isnt glass is filthy and a complete throw away and do over.

I will keep all of your advice in mind while deciding wether to build it simple for me or put it back to scamps original design

Thanks everybody.

Here is a pre trailer camp pic. Yes everything that isnt a tree or grass came to florance,Or in that short bed pickup.... Hopefully soon i will need to stand back further to get everything including the scamp in the pic

Thanks again.
Ron
Click image for larger version

Name:	pre_trailer_camp.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	712
Attached Thumbnails
Win_Bay.jpg  
Old 12-25-2005, 06:46 PM   #8

Name: Michael
Trailer: Amerigo & Trailmanor (popupish)
Indiana
I'm in the camp of "less is more". My wife and I have come to view the trailers not as mini-RVs, but as large and luxurious tents. As a result - there's nothing of consequence inside other than living space and storage.

Cooking and cleaning is all done outside. Keeps the interior of the trailer from getting stunk up or gunked up and allows you to give more space to storage.

Here's what we did with our two project trailers and what they ended up selling for (in the interests of info on resale).

We had a 13' Boler that we did almost what you're planning. We left the sink in - but the water tanks were gone already when we bought it. We pulled the stove, left the icebox but used it for storage of the portapotty - not food. I was more concerned with having usable counter space than a kitchen. That was a '72 we ended up selling for $2300.

Next project was a PlayPac. Interior was nasty so I did a total gutting and rebuild. Didn't fit a sink or stove (although there was room for it and I think the couple who bought it put in a sink). Had a standard 110 fridge and halogen puck lights. That one sold in the fall (bad time to sell) for $1800 on eBay. (Would have gotten more in the spring if I'd have held onto it).

Current project didn't start as a camping trailer but as an enclosed motorcycle hauler. Gonna rig it as a mini-toy hauler. Plan on much the same gear as the playpac (110 fridge, 110 lights, but will also have some 12V gear (lights and fans) so I'm not totally dependent on shore-power.

It seems to me that resale is affected by many things, luck and timing (right buyer looking at the right time reasonably near to you) and cleanliness (you won't believe the # of trailers on eBay with pics where the trailers are totally filthy. Well from what you said about the crack pipes - maybe you WOULD believe it!). How the trailer is outfitted will make or break the deal for some, but there's a decent market for people who want the minimalist experience.

I remember the saga of Fredrick's poor Compact! I was shocked it took that long. I can tell you though, if he hadn't been so far away, I'd have been seriously interested in getting it for the planned bike-hauler. I'm guessing there's some strong regional differences in buyer preferences. I hadn't noticed until recently what the situation was as National parks out west - real bare bones stuff, so I can understand the appeal of the totally self-enclosed units. Here (Indiana) pretty much everywhere I want to go has power at every site and conveniently located central flush toilets and showers. Not a lot of motivation to go self-contained at that rate. Certainly not for me anyway.

Mike
Old 12-25-2005, 09:11 PM   #9

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
I remember the saga of Fredrick's poor Compact! I was shocked it took that long.
All's well that ends well. We have good friends that are also minimalist campers. I discovered one day that they were in the market for something... They looked at an old pop-up that they were disappointed in and showed them the Compact Junior. They rave about it to everyone. I did let them have it for half the price I was asking, just because I felt that they deserved a break and I really wanted to move on to upgrading the Fiber Stream.

Tags
scamp