Recovering factory scamp cushions. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2014, 01:12 PM   #1

Recovering factory scamp cushions.

What is the best way to go about recovering scamp cushions? We recently bought a 2013 16 foot scamp and the cushions are in very good shape but I don't like the color. I am trying to make our little scamp which we named Norma Jean colorful and homey for my family. Is this a job I should take on myself or try and have it professionally done?mClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1416165171.683624.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	78629

Stay at home mom... New owner of a 16 foot scamp . Excited to make it cozy for my family.
leprakans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 02:15 PM   #2

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
Scamp will sell a complete set of cushion covers, presumably in one of the current factory colors, for $390 US.
http://www.scamptrailers.com/parts-s...am-detail.html

A friend, who does upholstery, charges $50 labor per cushion. Scamp cushion fabric is $9.00 per square yard.

Some folks find Scamp factory cushions to be too hard for comfortable sleeping and have
added memory foam mattress toppers to get a comfortable nights sleep. If you do not use a mattress topper, new better-quality foam could cost $200 - $250.

Only you know your sewing skills and what kind of foam/fabric you want.

Good luck with your decision.

Ray

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 02:21 PM   #3

Thank you so much for the info.

Stay at home mom... New owner of a 16 foot scamp . Excited to make it cozy for my family.
Old 11-16-2014, 03:06 PM   #4

Does anyone know of someone who we could send cushions to and have them recovered with fabric we purchased?

Ben Moffett
Greenville SC
beakerben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 03:25 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Since the cushion upholstery is in good shape, I use it "as is" until new upholstery is needed. Make really coloful throw pillows and curtains. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 03:43 PM   #6

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I made cushion covers myself but i can tell you that with the *time* it took me and the cost of a good fabric, the long zippers, pipping, thread etc I probable should have had them done by someone else.

I would check around your own area to see if there is seamstress in your area who will do them for you.Check with local boat yards etc. they probable have someone they use.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 03:50 PM   #7

Thank you so much for the info!

Old 11-16-2014, 06:49 PM   #8

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I can think of hundreds of things to do to make my trailer my own and decorated my way without the expense of changing the cushion covers.
Here's a couple simple ideas hopefully to start the creative juices flowing. First small pieces of clear plastic, available at home improvement stores, and pictures. Cut the plastic smaller than the door and hold in place with mirror hangers with pictures behind the plastic.
As was mentioned earlier, make pillows that are covered with your choice of pattern.
Replace the curtains with your choice of pattern.

I wouldn't change the interior color and paint on the interior fiberglass, but I might paint on the cabinet doors. The brown strips around the top edge of the counter top is easily changed to another color. I'm about to turn mine red.

Hot pads with nice patterns can add a nice touch. I used lamp hooks attached to a small piece of wood then held in place with self adhesive Velcro to hand the pot holders.

OK, I hope that will start the creative juices flowing.
Old 11-16-2014, 07:02 PM   #9

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
One easy way to change out the look of your cushions is to simply place throw blankets over them. I am fond of fleece blankets or even cut lengths of fleece. The fabric comes in all kinds of colors and prints. In a pinch, we use the throw blankets as extra bedding for warmth. See attached photo of my Southwest desert theme. I made the curtain panels and pillow cases. The photo is shown with the bunk bed set up but you can easily place the throw over the sofa, dinette cushions or use it as a bedspread! I even use the throws over my shoulders whilst sitting around the campfire.

If you still want to replace the cushion covers you might want to check with your dry cleaners. They often have talented seamstresses who can do this relatively easy project on their industrial sewing machines.
Attached Thumbnails
SCAMP Southwest Decor 2013 009.jpg  
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 07:04 PM   #10

This is a good idea! You did a good job! Thank you for sharing!

Old 11-16-2014, 08:03 PM   #11

Name: Dawn
New York
Registry
I recently had mine done for our 16ft Scamp (with bunks) by a "professional"...$150 in labor. 12 yards of comfortable & durable indoor/outdoor fabric...$120 from JoAnn Fabrics. Expensive but it totally worth it--completely changed the feel of my "new" camper!
NedMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 08:04 PM   #12

Thanks was this someone local?

Old 11-16-2014, 08:07 PM   #13

New York
Registry
Local for me in western NY...was a friend of a friend
Old 11-16-2014, 08:20 PM   #14

New York
Registry
Reupholstered cushions

Reupholstered cushions
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 11-16-2014, 08:30 PM   #15

Beautiful! I love it!

Old 11-16-2014, 08:40 PM   #16

New York
Registry
I agree with the others tho, there's plenty of other things to do to make it your own if you don't want to spend the money. I made my own curtains, painted cabinet doors, made throw pillows, changed hardware...
Old 11-16-2014, 09:42 PM   #17

I agree! I am looking at all my options and there are other things I do plan to do... Changing out the hardware , painting and new curtains!

Old 11-17-2014, 07:18 AM   #18

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
Your dog is darling!
Since your cushions are in good shape, have you thought about slipcovering in a bright fabric instead of new covers? Slipcovers can be closed with whipstiching, velcro tabs, or ties, eliminating that sometimes frustrating step of zippers. A set of slipcovers could be made from a couple of bright sheets or quilts, with just a little sewing skill, and you can make newspaper patterns. I'd wash the fabric before sewing to allow for shrinkage.
Sherry
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 09:50 AM   #19

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I think as the OP has the solid colour cushions rather than the plaids used in the past it would be pretty easy to dress the trailer up without changing the covers. Actually a lot of designers would suggest that having a solid colour is better as you can easily change the whole look of the trailer by simple replacing the accents - much cheaper as well. As other have said changing out the curtains and pillows and putting down a throw rug will change things up a lot. As will adding kitchen/cooking accessories, towels, kettle, large utensils in bright colours. If your going to leave your bed made up then a bright bed cover will also make a really big change as it will leave very few of the orignal cushions visible anyways.

I originally thought I was going to use a pattern on my cushions when I redid them but got talked out of it by a pro decorator at the home decorating store i purchased my fabric from. I ended up going with a solid colour on the cushions and a pattern on the curtains instead. That provided me with a lot of options as to what accent colour to use on my accessories. Kind of glad I did as after the first couple of years I did decide to change the accent colour to freshen up the look of the trailer. You can also change out the curtains pretty cheaply and fast as well - recommend you line them with a light thermal curtain backing with a bit of stain resistant film on the back though. The lining makes them hang much nicer and prevents moisture from the windows soaking into them and prevents sun damage to the bright colours that are on them.

Hard to tell from the photo but it looks like there are a lot of bold colours that would work with the colour of the current cushions - reds, lime green, teal blue and yellow to name just a few. I would take one of the covers to a large fabric shop and see what you can find that works with it.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 10:53 AM   #20

Thank you so much for the info and help. I think I start with curtains... And I knew I would need to line them! Thank you for the link. This forum has been so helpful!

Tags
eco, scamp