Recovering Seat Cushions...Question on color/colour coordination - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-23-2008, 11:37 PM   #15

Name: Camilla
Trailer: 73 Playpac
Kentucky
Are any of you that have put vinyl on the bottom of the cushions experiencing any trouble with the cushions sliding around?

Old 07-23-2008, 11:48 PM   #16

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Quote:
Are any of you that have put vinyl on the bottom of the cushions experiencing any trouble with the cushions sliding around?
We just completed our first camping trip (Oregon Gathering 2008! ) since reupholstering the cushions in our Scamp 5th wheel. When we arrived in Bandon, the seat cushions were all [b]still in place. Before this, I would find them all over the place, sometimes sliding all the way down to the floor under the dinette.

The backrest cushions did fall down but I expected that since they are not secured to anything [yet].

When I did the reupholstery work I wondered if putting vinyl on the bottom of the seat cushions would help with the sliding issue. In our case, it made a big difference. By the way, our dinette benches are molded fiberglass.

--Lynne

Old 07-24-2008, 10:38 AM   #17

Name: Scott
Trailer: 1975 Surfside TM14 (front kitchen)
Manitoba
Registry
Send a message via MSN to Scott S. Send a message via Yahoo to Scott S.
I re-did mine with the vinyl on the bottom panel. it slides a little but not enough to worry about. I did it cause a professional told it was better for when it's humid and the condensation drips down from the walls. I guess it would be easier to wipe off and would be less prone to staining too?

Quote:
We just completed our first camping trip (Oregon Gathering 2008! ) since reupholstering the cushions in our Scamp 5th wheel. When we arrived in Bandon, the seat cushions were all [b]still in place. Before this, I would find them all over the place, sometimes sliding all the way down to the floor under the dinette.

The backrest cushions did fall down but I expected that since they are not secured to anything [yet].

When I did the reupholstery work I wondered if putting vinyl on the bottom of the seat cushions would help with the sliding issue. In our case, it made a big difference. By the way, our dinette benches are molded fiberglass.

--Lynne
Old 05-05-2009, 01:00 PM   #18

Trailer: 1978 Boler
Quote:
I just finished reupholstering the cushions in our Scamp. I used a coordinating color of vinyl even though it was on the bottom just because I like to keep things matching. If the vinyl on your cushions does not show, then it is really up to your preference on what color to use. I agree with Margie that darker would be better than light or white because it don't show dirt as easily.

I bought my vinyl at the local fabric discount superstore and chose a marine vinyl for its mildew-resistance properties. The store clerk reminded me to use a longer stitch when sewing the vinyl to prevent tearing. I also did a google search on how to sew vinyl as a refresher (its been a while since I've sewn with it).

One of the changes I made from the standard Scamp cushion was to move the zippers from the short end of the cushions to the long edge. This costs more as more zipper materials are required. I mitigated some of this by purchasing zipper-by-the-yard rather than a separate zipper for each cushion. Placing the zipper down the long side of the cushion made it really EASY to get the cushions into the covers, I was pleasantly surprised how quick and easy it went given the 'horror' stories other people have told about the wrestling match to insert cushions into the standard Scamp covers. I'll definitely do that again next time I reupholster a trailer.

--Lynne
No kidding. I just installed the cushions from our 13 foot 1978 boler egg into the replacement scamp covers with the zippers on the short end of things. I should have ordered a gorilla along with the covers. Smart move moving the zippers to the long side of things but the wife doesn't do sewing.
Russ