Red Max Pro vs 3M Restorer. - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2012, 06:28 PM   #21

Trailer: 1980 Dolphin 14 ft
Registry
I don't see any signs of problems yet, But the sun isn't too intense north of the 49th yet. We will have ro wait and see.
Owen Lindsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:28 PM   #22

Name: Jimbo
Trailer: 1971 Trails West Campster/1980 Scamp 13
California
Registry
Here is my question. Most of this thread was six months ago. How is the red max 3 holding up. I want to try it on my campster after a good cleaning!

Next question: how did you all apply? Mop? Old t-shirt?

Thanks!!
Thee Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:18 PM   #23

Name: Mike and Penny
Trailer: Bigfoot 17B-Gaucho 1989
Orange County, S. Calif.(Fountain Valley-Huntington Beach)
Registry
Red Max

Jimbo, my RedMax looks as shinny as the day I applied it.
Everyone is amazed that our Big Foot is a 1989.
I used a thick white torn up T-Shirt. I kept it soaking in a large zip lock bag in between coats. USE disposal RUBBER GLOVES for each coat.

If you want to see some recent pictures I can email them to you.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:22 PM   #24

Name: Jimbo
Trailer: 1971 Trails West Campster/1980 Scamp 13
California
Registry
Thanks Mike. Would be great if you could send them. How long has it been?

Also for anyone who reads this red max is in sale at Lowes for 11.99 til May 5th
Thee Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:50 PM   #25

Trailer: 1980 Dolphin 14 ft
Registry
Just scrubbed the trailer down, got a generous layer of dust and industrial fallout off of it. It still shines like new, and I haven't detected any deterioration on the surface yet.
Owen Lindsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:35 AM   #26

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
Works great for me. I did find that applying it with anything else but a microfiber cloth did not end up as smooth and streak free. This has to be the easiest application/maximum result product I have ever tried.
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:22 PM   #27

Name: Ron
Trailer: 1999 17' Casita
Texas
I am new and just picked up a 1999 17' Casita. Don't know the model, but it has two swivel chairs in it. I am wondering about this Red Max 3 and 3M wax. I am just about to clean my trailer with something called L. A. Ultimate Cleaner. Is the Mean Green Degreaser better and when you talk about power applicator, is that a slow electric auto buffer.
I appreciate the help. I just found out I have one small leak and it is around the ceiling fan. I am covering it up and I am going to let it dry and I was told to remove the old caulk and put new caulk on, any information on easiest way to remove old caulk without damaging the fiberglass roof and what kind of caulk I should use. Sorry for so many questions, but I better get on it know while I see so much experience. Thank you for answering and safe travels for all. P. S. I live in Houston, TX.
jellyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:31 PM   #28

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Ron, welcome to FiberglassRV. I don't own a Casita, but I believe you are the proud owner of a Freedom Deluxe (deluxe if you have a bathroom).

Best advice I can give you is to completely remove the fan, clean the area throughly and reseal using Butyl putty tape. Don't blob more caulk around the outside, that's a temporary solution at best.

Once again
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:51 PM   #29

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Welcome to the list Ron,

the Red Max product and 3M wax are two very different products that both produce a good shine.

The 3M Restore and Wax product was designed for use of fiberglass boats and it will do IMHO a really good job of cleaning up and shining up your trailer. You put it on like wax and then use a power buffer with a wool bonnet to take it off for the best results. You can apply it & take off by hand with a micro cloth although it will not do as good a job. Once you have done the 3m product put a couple of coats of wax on it and all you need to do after that is add a new coat of wax each year. 3M has good instructions on their website.

The Red Max product is a whole different product and its actually a protective coating that was designed for floors....a whole different process for application and removal. Read through the thread here called "this is not Poliglow" as a number of folks have given good instructions as to how best to apply. As you will see from that thread it is a still a pretty new approach to getting a good shine and still appears to be some unanswered questions as to how many years and under what conditions it will last - a couple of folk have noticed yellowing a lot of others have not - some one noted that they got a rock chip that started a bit of peeling (although I dont recall if they have since updated on that problem) others have not had any problems to report and are very happy with it.

Two very different chooses.

In regards to your leaking fan best to start a new thread under the help section for that one. As Donna says its best to pull it out and reseal with Butyl putty no caulking.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:20 PM   #30

Name: Ron
Trailer: 1999 17' Casita
Texas
Just picked up my Casita!

Thank you very much for your advice. I am excited, but have some work to do before I can go camping. I am going to remove the old caulk and look for the tape. I look forward to any and all advice on making this camper something I will enjoy for a while. I have to replace one of the chairs and since the material is gone I have to make it plain.
You won't believe this but the people cut out the sink and stove for another seat, now I have to go get a sink and stove in Rice, Tx. at Casita and pick up a chair in Waco, Tx. at there upolstery company. Thanks again and blessings in future travels!
jellyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 03:26 PM   #31

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Three coats RMP on a 14 yr old trailer early June 2011. Holding up well; lots of shine; no maintenance except washing when dirty. Sheds dirt well. I do believe that the original Polyglow applicator (an 8" long block with synthetic chamois held on by velcro and threaded for a painter's extension pole) probably does a better job than swiping around with a microfiber cloth. Nice 8" wide swaths which flat out quickly. Also includes a smaller chamois for detail; this chamois probably works no better than a microfiber rag. I keep mine in the freezer for the next use--after the clock has tolled and time has told of course. I might scrub down with BKF and TSP and EBG this fall and recoat; I doubt if it will really be necessary since it's staying shiny and shedding dirt. As they say, different strokes for different folks and possibly more of those for some and less for others.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote