Red Max Pro vs 3M Restorer. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2011, 02:51 PM   #1

Name: Don
Trailer: 17.5 Bigfoot
Ontario
Red Max Pro vs 3M Restorer.

My Bigfoot is in need of a good polishing, so decided to first do a test using 2 of the more popular methods. Red Max Pro Floor Polish and 3M Restore and Wax.

Taped off a couple 2' square areas. Cleaned the first area with Bar Keepers Friend. Then applied 4 coats of Red Max Pro floor wax, waiting 5 minutes between coats. Total time about 25 minutes. Resulting glossy shine was superb.

Used 3M restore and wax on the next area. Used a power applicator to apply product. Time to buff area and polish with a dry cloth was less than 5 minutes. Resulting glossy shine was superb.

The shine looked the same in both test areas. However, in sliding my hand gently from a rough area across the Red Max section and then across the 3M section, I could feel a slight texture to the Red Max section and a super smooth feel to the 3M section.

I'd say the cost would be the same using either product. Which protective shine will last the longest.....can't answer that. Time will tell. I'm leaning towards using the 3M Restore and Wax product. Should be a faster application.
Don Dunsmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 08:35 AM   #2

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
I used Meguiars Ultimate Compound with a power applicator to remove all oxidation it came up looking new.
After I applied a coat of Carnauba Wax.

Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 08:38 AM   #3

Name: Mike and Penny
Trailer: Bigfoot 17B-Gaucho 1989
Orange County, S. Calif.(Fountain Valley-Huntington Beach)
Registry
1898 Bigfoot 17

Don, I did the REDMAX treatment. I am very please with the results. I can't believe it came out so well. Some spots did have a slightly rough feel and some were smooth as glass. My trailer that I purchase about 7 weeks ago was so flat I considered painting it. But I have sunk enough money in the thing, the Redmax is a winner in my mind.
Old 10-15-2011, 08:50 AM   #4

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Cost

I can't imagine that anything is less expensive than Red Max Pro 3. We bought a bottle and have done a Casita 16, a Scamp 16, a truck cap, all the black trim on our Honda CRV, all the plastic trim ona Chrysler PT Cruiser and on a Toyota Tacoma. Amazingly we still have some left over.

The other use I found for it was fooged plastic head lamp covers. I wiped the covers with bar keepers friend, rinsed and dryed them and applied 4-6 coats to the lens. Now they are almost like new.

Red Max Pro 3 - the WD-40 of waxes.....

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 07:52 PM   #5

Trailer: 1980 Dolphin 14 ft
Registry
Lowes claim that they are not allowed to import Red Max 3 in to Canada due to transport regulations at the border. I was going to Spokane for the weekend, and visited Lowes on Division Street. They had it, so I brought a gallon home. Yesterday, I washed the trailer down with Mean Green degreaser, which has a fair amount of TSP in it. The surface was clean and smooth. The first application was made with an old cotton dishrag folded into a pad. It turned out streaky, but as long as I wrang out the excess there was no drips. Three coats about twenty minutes apart gave a nice sheen. I have to wait and see how the weather affects it over the winter. The results are amazing and it wasn't a lot of effort.
Owen Lindsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 08:06 PM   #6

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Lindsay View Post
Lowes claim that they are not allowed to import Red Max 3 in to Canada due to transport regulations at the border. I was going to Spokane for the weekend, and visited Lowes on Division Street. They had it, so I brought a gallon home. Yesterday, I washed the trailer down with Mean Green degreaser, which has a fair amount of TSP in it. The surface was clean and smooth. The first application was made with an old cotton dishrag folded into a pad. It turned out streaky, but as long as I wrang out the excess there was no drips. Three coats about twenty minutes apart gave a nice sheen. I have to wait and see how the weather affects it over the winter. The results are amazing and it wasn't a lot of effort.
Glad it worked out for you Owen. I bought my Red Max in the States as well when we came home from a trip to Thunder Bay. I haven't been able to get back to polishing up the Bigfoot as we've had a week of rain since I tested the stuff out. Some say the 4th coat is the magic one. Spent the week reading up on Solar Panels which might be my winter project.
Old 10-16-2011, 08:13 PM   #7

Registry
If the weather holds warm and sunny, I will add a few more coats and see if the appearance improves. I'm pleased with the result so far, but time will tell. A solar panel (130 watt) was added to the roof last year and I haven't run out of 12 volt since. I added a second RV 27 battery in tandem. We spent a week without hookups in July and the voltmeter never went below 11.4 volts in the morning on any day.
Old 10-16-2011, 08:34 PM   #8

Ontario
Quote:
If the weather holds warm and sunny, I will add a few more coats and see if the appearance improves. I'm pleased with the result so far, but time will tell. A solar panel (130 watt) was added to the roof last year and I haven't run out of 12 volt since. I added a second RV 27 battery in tandem. We spent a week without hookups in July and the voltmeter never went below 11.4 volts in the morning on any day.
You could help me out with this Solar stuff! I'm a total newbie to it. Read the thread about Norm's thin panel set up and found interesting info on another set up called the Weekender SW kit. Perhaps you could PM me the info regarding your set up....as to lay out, equipment, dealers, etc. Would appreciate the help. Don
Old 10-16-2011, 10:11 PM   #9

Registry
I can't claim the credit for engineering this one, I bought the panel kit from Affordable RV in Calgary at the spring RV show, then They agreed to do the install for me about mid summer. The 130 watt panel, charge controller, the second battery and installation cost under $1100.00.
Old 10-16-2011, 10:34 PM   #10

Name: Megan
Trailer: Compact Jr.
Oregon
Question

Has anyone had a hard time finding the Red Max #3 (polish)? I went into our Lowes (in Bend, OR) to find it- they had #1,2 & 4, but no #3- I asked about it, they said they were out and would order a bottle for me, then called last week to tell me they wouldn't be getting anymore as it has been discontinued by the manufacturer (?!?) I have a 1972 Compact Jr that is in dire need of something... After reading about this product I got very excited, but now I'm so disappointed! Maybe I'll try the 3M... Is it applicable by hand?
MegWest621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 11:45 PM   #11

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I first did my trailer with the 3M restore and wax almost 5 years ago and put a good wax on it after and have not had to do use the 3m again other than to get a couple of bad stains off in spots. If you give it a good waxing after doing the restore and wax you should only have to wax the trailer in the future. I still get lots of comments on how shiny the trailer is.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 04:54 AM   #12

Trailer: Trillium 5500 1980
Smile

Quote:
Lowes claim that they are not allowed to import Red Max 3 in to Canada due to transport regulations at the border.
???? Home Depot has it under the name of Zep in every store in Canada... You can fill a swimming pool if you wish!!!
Normand Choiniere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 06:18 AM   #13

Florida
Waxing

Waxing is good exercise. Unfortunately with our continuous travels I found that it was an every three months project and more on the front surface. Fortunately the Castia and Scamp are small. I'm hopeful that Red Max will require fewer applications than wax. Time will tell.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 10-17-2011, 02:08 PM   #14

Registry
By the Way Happy Birthday next week, Norman. Unless there has been an update in the composition of the Zep product, It used to yellow in direct uv light. I tried it to cover the area that I roughened up on my green Trillium 13 foot trying to scrub bugs off with the green scrubber pads, and after a year there was a decided yellow, almost brown tinge to it. I hope this does not do the same. Only time and weather exposure will show how successful we are.
Old 10-17-2011, 02:55 PM   #15

Florida
Thanks for the Birthday wishes.

I just sent a PM to the first user on the thread to see if he's seen any degradation of Red Max. I'll let you know what his experience is.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 10-17-2011, 05:21 PM   #16

Registry
[QUOTE=Owen Lindsay;273811Only time and weather exposure will show how successful we are.[/QUOTE]

Yup and as mentioned I have already seen one trailer done with Red Max which had a yellow haze to it - yup lots of arguments to be made as to the how come and whys - but its the #1 reason I'm sticking to a product made for Fiberglass and the outdoors. Also cant help but think that what ever products/chemicals are need to get it off the trailer should it really start to fail 3 or 4 years down the road may not be all the great for the long life of the gelcoat.
Old 10-17-2011, 07:54 PM   #17

Ontario
RedMax Pro thread.

Just discovered this 21 page thread on this Forum, started by Randy Bishop, discussing the pros and cons of Red Max Pro floor polish when applied to a Fiberglass Gel coat finish. Gives all the products needed, directions on how to apply, discuses the longevity aspects and answers the yellowing question.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ell-43004.html
Old 10-18-2011, 01:54 PM   #18

Trailer: Trillium 5500 1980
This thread is now known by nearly everyone who owns a fibreglass trailer. Every forum refers to it. There is now more than a year since all this started and there is a very large consensus on this method that pleases more than 90% of those who tried it. The yellowing question is, at the most, an anecdotal event. Globally it is a great success.

Personally I never ever got comparable and easy results and by far. And as many of us I tried many other alternatives, the best one being Verglass. But Verglass was not as durable and was much more costly same for Polyglow. I can't recommend more RedMax Pro or Zep its twin product.
Normand Choiniere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:10 PM   #19

Name: Aaron
Trailer: 2002 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
Michigan
So how are you guys holding up?
iplumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:13 PM   #20

Registry
3M restore has held up well since first done 4 years ago. Just needs a good wash and wax at the start of each year.