REEFER PROBLEM - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-27-2008, 09:51 AM   #1

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
HI JUST BOUGHT 1984 SCAMP FIFTH WHEEL THE REFER WORKS GREAT ON 115 VOLT BUT WILL NOT GET COLD ON GAS MODE I CAN SEE FLAME

Old 09-28-2008, 12:24 AM   #2

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Tom,
There is some good info in the Documents Center on the left side bar. Some of the fridge manuals have diagnostic flow charts, troubleshooting etc.

Old 09-28-2008, 11:11 AM   #3

Quote:
Tom,
There is some good info in the Documents Center on the left side bar. Some of the fridge manuals have diagnostic flow charts, troubleshooting etc.
THANKS I'LL CHECK IT OUT
Old 09-29-2008, 08:23 AM   #4

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
You are welcome,
Once you've narrowed it down, you can post what you found out and get some suggestions to solutions. Plus there is a "fridge repair" guy that posts here, that might have just the right solution to your problem.

Hint: Model #'s and details help a lot.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:52 AM   #5

Name: Brandy
I have a 1977 Scamp and have noticed an interesting pattern when running on pro-(pain) as in pain in the [at]&& ...anywho when hooked up to electric I can be somewhat not level *note somewhat* but when running off of propane I found that I need to make sure its *absolutly* level and to do this I have the tiny fridge level that I use in the icebox not the bottom of the fridge but the icebox. I have to babysit this darn thing and the other day it took 20 minutes to get it going. Yesterday it took all of three minutes but then I lowered the trailer a bit to see what would happen and sure enough it clicked off. So not exactly sure what yours is going thru but this has been some of my experience. Good luck
Old 09-29-2008, 06:13 PM   #6

Quote:
I have a 1977 Scamp and have noticed an interesting pattern when running on pro-(pain) as in pain in the [at]&& ...anywho when hooked up to electric I can be somewhat not level *note somewhat* but when running off of propane I found that I need to make sure its *absolutly* level and to do this I have the tiny fridge level that I use in the icebox not the bottom of the fridge but the icebox. I have to babysit this darn thing and the other day it took 20 minutes to get it going. Yesterday it took all of three minutes but then I lowered the trailer a bit to see what would happen and sure enough it clicked off. So not exactly sure what yours is going thru but this has been some of my experience. Good luck
THANKS FOR THE HINTS AND HELP. I TOOK THE JET OUT TODAY AND CLEANED IT SEEMED TO HELP SOME BUT NOT MUCH .I GUESS THE NEXT THING WILL BE CLEANING THE FLUE TUBE.I ALSO RELEVELED THE REFER.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:23 PM   #7

Name: Scott
Trailer: 1975 Surfside TM14 (front kitchen)
Manitoba
Registry
Send a message via MSN to Scott S. Send a message via Yahoo to Scott S.
some really great advise here and I know I have brought this up in the past...
these new tanks have a safety feature that locks up the valve in the event of a sudden loss of pressure. I was turning my tank on too quickly and activating this valve. just tossing in my 2 cents but I spent a day fighting the same issue and it was just that simple, turned the tank on slowly and it worked just fine.
Old 09-29-2008, 11:36 PM   #8

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
FWIW: Someone has mentioned to make certain the stove is working too. Have it flamming for a couple of minutes, then try to get the refer working.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 10:40 AM   #9

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
It could be the regulator. There needs to be a certain LP pressure to the stove as well as the refrigerator.

A couple of years ago my fridge would light but not heat enough to cool for food. The stove worked fine. I stopped at an RV shop and the first thing he did was check the pressure at the stove and fridge. It was low. He replaced the regulator and all worked well.

One thing he told me was that the regulator was mounted incorrectly. It was mounted with the opening facing to the rear when it should be facing downward consequently it likely gathered more dust and dirt into it.
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 11:55 AM   #10

Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Iowa
Wow... I'm glad I checked on this topic... I was afraid it was about Reefer Madness!

Roger
Old 09-30-2008, 12:10 PM   #11

Quote:
Wow... I'm glad I checked on this topic... I was afraid it was about Reefer Madness!

Roger
Thanks to all I think it was a dirty jet temp today 30 running on max I"ll just wait and see
Old 09-30-2008, 09:20 PM   #12

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
FWIW

The pressure is 9 inches of water column.

Bill K

It could be the regulator. There needs to be a certain LP pressure to the stove as well as the refrigerator.
Old 10-02-2008, 04:46 AM   #13

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
According to this source, the pressure should be 10.5-11 " of water. Here's how to make your own manometer to measure the pressure.

http://www.rverscorner.com/manometer.html
Old 10-03-2008, 09:29 AM   #14

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
Quote:
According to this source, the pressure should be 10.5-11 " of water. Here's how to make your own manometer to measure the pressure.

http://www.rverscorner.com/manometer.html

Pete,
I got nine inches of water from my friends Norcold manual when it woudn't work. Adjusted the regulator to nine and it worked fine.

Bill K