Reflectix... how much to do interior? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2018, 05:34 PM   #21

Name: Ross
Trailer: Trillium 4500
Colorado
Registry
Rex, will you be using your camper in winter? If not don’t see why a well glued aluminum bubble will fail in preventing condensation in trailer. You will need to really clean well your fiberglass like photo I have attached.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2818.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	116378

Name:	IMG_2910.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	363.7 KB
ID:	116379

Name:	IMG_3082.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	116380
Seaross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 06:55 PM   #22

Name: Andrew
Trailer: '13 Scamp
Alaska
200sq ft, and a gallon of contact cement

I just did this to my 1988 '13 scamp. I purchased 250sq ft, (125' LF, "24 wide) off eBay for about $90 (look up reflective double bubble wrap) and I still had about 75sq ft left with a lot of trim thrown out. Wall space might really only be 150sq ft or so.

In think the wall measurements are closer to:

Side wall: 5x8 (40sq ft)
Side wall: 5x8 (40sq ft)
Ceiling: 7x8 (56sq ft)
Front: 5x5 (25sq ft)
Rear:5x5 (25sq ft)

Total: 186sq ft - wheel wells, windows, and door
=150sq ft

This baffled me at first, but I got the same result with my carpet too. Windows and door takes up at least 25sqft or so and the rest must be deductions due to the overall eggyness (round corners everywhere) of the trailer.

The "24 width was nice to work with doing it myself, but if you have someone to help, you might be able to manage the "48 width sections.

You can check my posting history for some pics of it, and if I can find some more that are pre-carpet, I'll post them here.
Andrew AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 07:28 PM   #23

Name: Matt
Trailer: Ambulance
Florida
I had moisture between the FG and the double bobble insulation through my 2012 19’ today. Ceiling, dinette, 5th wheel area. Bizarre. I gutted it all out today.

I called a couple double bubble companies today and they all said that with no air pocket between the FG and the marine carpet / liner there was no R value.

To me this whole water situation is insane. You know it’s going to leak again through a window seal, weep drain, bad seal on a rivet etc. But people keep doing the same thing over and over.

So I’m going to glass in all the cabinets and supports to the shell, glass in the floors and then paint / gel coat the entire interior. Like a boat.

Yes there will be condensation, but there is with the rat fur too, you just can’t clean it like you can a fiberglass gel coat wall and you can’t get to the moisture behind the barriers without cutting into stuff.

This way you just crack the windows as needed and wipe down the walls if needed.

No mold, no dust, no gutting down the road. (Again)
haulit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 08:11 PM   #24

Name: Andrew
Trailer: '13 Scamp
Alaska
Ya, I went almost no holes, and sealed in my vent for that reason. Creating the air gap is the least fun part of the reflectix job, and the different ways to do that has been discussed in depth elsewhere on this site. I went with the inner layer shipping bubbles.
Andrew AK is offline   Reply With Quote