Reflectolite 540 Cover Replacement - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2011, 06:33 PM   #1

Name: Lil
Trailer: '84 13' Scamp & '14 homebuilt Benroy Teardrop
Minnesota
Registry
Reflectolite 540 Cover Replacement

Hi everyone,
Well, I've searched ALL over the internet and can't seem to locate a replacement for the above light. Here's what's left of one of the covers...

They literally crumbled in my hands as I tried to take them out of the base. I did order some round replacement light fixtures, but I was thinking that if I used some kind of flexible plastic sheet like stencil material, I could fabricate a cover. This is so I can avoid removing and reinstalling rivets.
Does anyone have any good ideas how I could replace those covers?
Thanks so much for your help!
Lil M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 10:17 PM   #2

Name: David
Trailer: 16 foot Scamp
Arizona
Lil M,
I can't tell from the picture what size we are talking about. If it is a smaller size, like maybe 4" square, there is a possibility. There is a lighting company called Peterson. Most all automotive parts stores have a Peterson catalog. You can look at the dome lights or interior lights and possibly find a similar sized cover. I know that Peterson makes a square interior light. Peterson sells replacement covers for all of their lights. Bargeman is another possibility and again the auto parts store should have the catalog to look through. Take your cover with you when you go.

There are ways to make such lenses at home using thermo-moldable plastics, but for the trouble and expense you would be WAY ahead to just change out the fixture.
David
DavidSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 10:35 PM   #3

Minnesota
Registry
The base is about 5x5 and there are 2 small tabs on 2 opposite sides.

I've looked through some Bargman fixtures. Will check Peterson out. Have to do it mostly online as I'm out in the boonies.

Thanks for your help David.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:45 PM   #4

Name: David
Trailer: 16 foot Scamp
Arizona
Lil M,
I found it, and it may very well fit! The drawing dimensions show the fixture as 5-3/8" . That would make the lense about 5. The white cover is part #375-15W. It's worth a shot anyway, . If you need a new fixture that one may be the closest you'll find too

Woody's Auto Supply: Online Auto Parts Catalog - OEM Auto Part Catalog Search

here is one source that I found:
Peterson 375-15 Replacement Lenses - Replacement Lenses

David
DavidSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 07:33 AM   #5

Minnesota
Registry
Thanks David!
Old 11-25-2011, 01:05 PM   #6

Minnesota
Registry
Here's an update...
I ordered 2 Peterson 375-15 replacement covers in white @ $3.25 ea plus $2.55 postage for a grand total of $9.05. I figured I could afford to take the risk for that price.

Well, they fit...just. The old lens has two tabs on opposite sides that fit into slots in the base. The Peterson lens has one long tab on opposite sides. When I place the new lens in the old base, it's basically a friction fit against the inside edge of the base. There's no lip to hold it in place.

I'm thinking it will work, but I'll probably take the lenses out when I travel as they might bounce out of the base. Or I could find some kind of paint-on/stick-on medium to add just enough thickness to the edge to make it fit more snugly. I'm planning on painting the old bases black as they've yellowed with age. Maybe that will be enough thickness to hold the lenses in place. Any other ideas?

At least I don't have to drill out rivets , remove the old base and patch holes , drill new holes , and install new light fixtures. Speaking of which, is there a good thread/tutorial/video on removing, patching and installing new rivets in fiberglass?
Old 11-25-2011, 02:09 PM   #7

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
how about some VHB tape on the lens? if you take it off while traveling, won't the interior become exposed to elements?
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 02:41 PM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
how about some VHB tape on the lens? if you take it off while traveling, won't the interior become exposed to elements?
Jim, I believe Lil is talking about a light cover (lens).. not a vent cover...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 02:52 PM   #9

Pennsylvania
Registry
I see, but the tape could still work on the non lip side of the light reflector and just pinch in the lip side to get access to light, besides, if she switches to leds, there should not be a need to remove the lenses.
Old 11-25-2011, 02:56 PM   #10

Minnesota
Registry
Correct you are, Donna. It's the two light fixtures on either side of the upper kitchen cabinet, and I need to be able to remove the lens covers to replace bulbs. Matter of fact, I just got some LED replacement bulbs that will go in the sockets.
My trailer came without a battery, so I'm gonna have to figure out how to connect a battery to the 12v system to test the lights. Best start by looking for wires, right?
Old 11-25-2011, 03:15 PM   #11

Minnesota
Registry
Hi Jim, Seems we keep posting as the other is typing. So I could use the VHB tape on the top so the lens would be on a hinge? Is VHB tape sticky on both sides?
Old 11-25-2011, 03:41 PM   #12

Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil M. View Post
Correct you are, Donna. It's the two light fixtures on either side of the upper kitchen cabinet, and I need to be able to remove the lens covers to replace bulbs. Matter of fact, I just got some LED replacement bulbs that will go in the sockets.
My trailer came without a battery, so I'm gonna have to figure out how to connect a battery to the 12v system to test the lights. Best start by looking for wires, right?
if you plug in the trailer to 120v then your converter will supply 12v
Old 11-25-2011, 03:43 PM   #13

Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Hi Jim, Seems we keep posting as the other is typing. So I could use the VHB tape on the top so the lens would be on a hinge? Is VHB tape sticky on both sides?
it is sticky on both sides so you would want it between the cover and the fixture, sorta semi-permanent. but if you only put it on one side you should be able to have access if need be.
Old 11-25-2011, 06:22 PM   #14

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Hi everyone,
Well, I've searched ALL over the internet and can't seem to locate a replacement for the above light. Here's what's left of one of the covers...

They literally crumbled in my hands as I tried to take them out of the base. I did order some round replacement light fixtures, but I was thinking that if I used some kind of flexible plastic sheet like stencil material, I could fabricate a cover. This is so I can avoid removing and reinstalling rivets.
Does anyone have any good ideas how I could replace those covers?
Thanks so much for your help!
When all else fails, like reading instructions, call Scamp. They probably have them in stock.
Old 11-26-2011, 09:02 AM   #15

Minnesota
Registry
You know, I did look on the Scamp website parts page but didn't see the lens listed, so I just dismissed calling them. Maybe shoulda.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:15 PM   #16

Minnesota
Registry
I just found this website. Don't know if the lens would fit, and I'm already too many $$ into it, but just for someone else's search, here it is...
Square Ceiling Light
BTW they have lots of other nice vintage style items.