refrigerator control access panel - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2014, 04:31 AM   #1

Name: David
Trailer: 2014 13' Scamp -standard w/ front bunk
Vermont
refrigerator control access panel

Any else have trouble with the little black clips that hold the exterior access panel closed? My Scamp was only a few week old when the tabs on one got bent such that it would not work (had to duct tape a nut on the inside and use a short stove bolt inserted from outside to get home). A call to scamp got me a gentle chastising for not being sufficiently careful. He explained that they get the clips as part of the panel assembly and don't stock extra clips. He did however have a few extras and sent me one. Since then I've been exceedingly careful, but just returned from a weekend trip during which the other clip started misbehaving and looks as if it won't last many more opening/closing cycles.

Anyone know of a source of spares (I'm not even sure what they are called to successfully google them) to keep on hand or a clever work-around to replace the clips?
WDavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 02:16 PM   #2

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
They are called Fridge/Converter Vent Latch and sold at Camping World and other RV suppliers. The ones I bought are in a package from "RV Designer" Part # E377
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 03:55 PM   #3

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Thanks for asking David, and for answering Jack. Those are the cheesiest, cheapest clips I've seen anywhere. I'm going to stock up on them. It seems like there would be a better way to hold those panels on.

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 08:39 PM   #4

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Tom you must have a newer Scamp as that is not the type of closer that I have on mine - mine has a much simpler system but I am pretty sure its also the original.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 06:07 AM   #5

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Tom you must have a newer Scamp as that is not the type of closer that I have on mine - mine has a much simpler system but I am pretty sure its also the original.
Carol, our trailer is only a month old. They now come with a little black plastic twist knobs on the bottom corners. There is a slot cut in the fasteners to accept a coin or screwdriver. They only need to be turned 90 degrees to open or close them. The biggest problem is the material. They are a soft plastic, and can easily be bent out of shape, or twisted apart. I get nervous every time I remove the refrigerator access panel. I'm going to pick up a dozen spares soon. I'm also looking for a roll of white duct tape
Old 09-13-2014, 09:08 AM   #6

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomK View Post
Carol, our trailer is only a month old. They now come with a little black plastic twist knobs on the bottom corners. There is a slot cut in the fasteners to accept a coin or screwdriver. They only need to be turned 90 degrees to open or close them. The biggest problem is the material. They are a soft plastic, and can easily be bent out of shape, or twisted apart. I get nervous every time I remove the refrigerator access panel. I'm going to pick up a dozen spares soon. I'm also looking for a roll of white duct tape
Classic case of newer does not always mean better Mine has the old metal style small twist tab that goes through a small slot at the bottom of the vent cover.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 12:38 PM   #7

Michigan
Couldn't agree more Carol. I think the bean counters won the argument on the newer panels / fasteners.

Tom
Old 09-23-2014, 08:10 AM   #8

Name: David
Trailer: 2014 13' Scamp -standard w/ front bunk
Vermont
Jack - thanks for the part reference. I plan to order a supply. And thanks to all you others who replied and let me know I'm not the only one finding them a cheesy and unreliable solution. I will say, all things considered we're very happy with our new scamp and though frustrating this is fairly minor in the larger scheme of things
WDavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 11:11 AM   #9

Michigan
I searched the CW website for them and came up empty. I'll take one to the local CW and see if they can find them in their inventory.

Tom
Old 09-23-2014, 03:28 PM   #10

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Tom, I'm going to the salvage yards tomorrow. I'll pick some up for you.
They were real cheap the last time I went.
I'll Let you know tomorrow night, if you can wait.
Mike
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 08:32 PM   #11

Michigan
That would be great, Mike! Thanks in advance. I'd be happy to pay you for them. Just PM me if you're successful. There is no rush.

Tom
Old 09-23-2014, 09:04 PM   #12

Name: Chuck
Trailer: tp
Washington
My 2001 Bigfoot 21 has those on the fridge vent. I have never had to replace them.
Chuck
FTTRV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator