Refrigerator troubleshooting 101 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2018, 07:37 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Refrigerator troubleshooting 101

After reading so many threads on refrigerator problems and off the wall answers, I'm trying to be polite here, I thought I would post the two most important steps.

If your refrigerator basically works but does not cool enough or the flame goes out then read on.

The fact you can see a small flame only means the unit is basically working.

(1) Has the yearly maintenance been done? That includes cleaning the jet and burner.

(2) The fact that all other appliances seem to be working correctly is not a good indication.

Here's why. Your water heater, stove and furnace all have secondary regulators built into them that further lowers the propane pressure, so they won't exhibit any problems.

But your Dometic refrigerator does not have a secondary regulator built in and depends entirely on the main propane regulator to supply proper pressure.

So step two is to check or have checked the pressure of the propane system. Regulators in my experience seem to lower the pressure as they age. If your trailer is older it may be time for a new regulator and hoses. Casita on line parts has the regulator, two short hoses to the tank and the 36" hose for $60 a very reasonable price. They most likely will work for most other trailers too. Here's the link.
https://store.casitatraveltrailers.c...ssy-name-price

If this post helps only one person it's been worth the time my time.

Joe
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 07:58 AM   #2

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Romas View Post
(1) Has the yearly maintenance been done? That includes cleaning the jet and burner.
Indeed, I think very very few people do the maintenance yearly. Most wait until they have a problem. Cleaning the jet and burning is maybe not needed annually for everyone. My camper was near three years old when I first did it. The parts looked almost new and the fridge was working well, but I dont use the fridge on Propane that much. YMMV. But for sure, sooner or later you will have a problem if you don't keep these parts maintained and its not too hard... I found this video very helpful and plan to check out the other videos from the same folks.

gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 04:49 PM   #3

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Romas View Post
After reading so many threads on refrigerator problems and off the wall answers, I'm trying to be polite here, I thought I would post the two most important steps.

If your refrigerator basically works but does not cool enough or the flame goes out then read on.

The fact you can see a small flame only means the unit is basically working.

(2) The fact that all other appliances seem to be working correctly is not a good indication.

Here's why. Your water heater, stove and furnace all have secondary regulators built into them that further lowers the propane pressure, so they won't exhibit any problems.

But your Dometic refrigerator does not have a secondary regulator built in and depends entirely on the main propane regulator to supply proper pressure.

So step two is to check or have checked the pressure of the propane system. Regulators in my experience seem to lower the pressure as they age. If your trailer is older it may be time for a new regulator and hoses. Casita on line parts has the regulator, two short hoses to the tank and the 36" hose for $60 a very reasonable price. They most likely will work for most other trailers too. Here's the link.
https://store.casitatraveltrailers.c...ssy-name-price

If this post helps only one person it's been worth the time my time.

Joe
We use our compressor to blow out our fridge every year. We blow up the vent tube since it can collect stuff and all over the back including the fins, etc. We blow out the burner tube and blow from both ends of it. So far no problems with fridge in 11 years. We remove both covers and blow out the entire area. Amazing how much dust collects even in a garage.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator