Refrigerator vent latches - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2017, 01:09 PM   #1

Name: Marky
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Refrigerator vent latches

We went to the Texas Bluebonnet Casta Rally and when we arrived the lower refrigerator vent was open an holding on by the back latch. The front latch had broken. I noticed on some Casitas the vents not only had the black latches on the corners, but had screws on the bottom next to the latches.
The vent frame on my Casita has squares with holes on the lower side that look like they can be screwed into to hold the vent cover. Has anyone done this and what size screws did you use? (I did a search and could find anything on it.)
MarkyVasquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 02:11 PM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Yes , after losing several of the black plastic clips and almost losing my vent cover , I secured the vent covers with 1/4 x 20 SS bolts with SS washers. I tapped 1/4 x 20 threads in the vent frame and then drilled holes in the vent to accomodate the screws.
I did apply some caulk to the screw threads so they did not vibrate loose. So far the vent and screws have stayed in place.

You live in Texas so probably not an issue but if you try to turn or push / pull on the plastic clips when it's 20 below they WILL break.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 05:28 PM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I just used sheet metal screws with a trim washer under the head. Had to drill through the cover to match up with the holes. Probably used a #8 screw.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 09:34 PM   #4

Texas

We don't have 20 below temperatures here in Texas, but we do have a 118 degree sun that will bake the plastic.
I checked the RV about 80 miles before we got to the park and everything was ok. When we stopped the cover was wide open on the front and holding only by the back latch. I almost lost the cover, I took it off and had to drive back without it.
Old 04-28-2017, 11:55 PM   #5

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
On the bright side Marky, you still have the expensive part . I have the same ones and they can be a PITA. MMMM, wonder if the spring loaded swivel closers from the WH door could be reworked to replace the plastic ones, they never break. A new mod maybe
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 07:56 AM   #6

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
I"m not sure exactly about the Casita's vent latches, but are they the common little black plastic clips that you turn 90 degrees so their back parts flare out to hold in place? If so, I replaced some of those on another trailer with carriage bolts (the square part fits into the square hole and keeps it from spinning) held in place with little flat spring clips that screwed securely onto the threads, and then when the vent cover was placed overtop the bolts it was held on with wing nuts. I actually bought a kit from https://alinerownersclub.org/diy/fastener-kits/
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 07:44 AM   #7

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
It's easier to just buy a few extras and keep them in your trailer junk box. They're cheap enough...

Norcold 617772 Refrigerator Part Latch Vent Door Trailer Camper RV
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 08:41 AM   #8

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
It's easier to just buy a few extras and keep them in your trailer junk box. They're cheap enough...

Norcold 617772 Refrigerator Part Latch Vent Door Trailer Camper RV
I do have a set of spare black plastic clips . The clips are inexpensive at $3 /each ( For a 5 cent piece of plastic ? ) but the vent covers are rather expensive. Replacing the clip after the vent cover blows off somewhere down the road doesn't really solve the problem. Since I installed the screws to hold the vent cover in place
I have not lost one plastic retainer clip .
Murphy's law has again proven to be true !

As a side note , tomato planting is still 4 weeks off for us.
We are supposed to get 3 to 6" of SNOW next week.
34 deg F this morning but warming up to 43 this afternoon.
Old 04-30-2017, 03:14 PM   #9

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
My solution.

After having the water heater door "mysteriously" come open after a rest stop where a 18 wheeler grinned as I returned to the trailer I came up with a solution for the refrigerator vents.
I inserted plastic anchors into the ready holes in the vent frames and calculated where to drill holes to go into them.

Joe
Attached Thumbnails
Outside.JPG   screw.JPG  

Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 07:19 PM   #10

Texas

I have to agree with Steve about the vent blowing off. It's not about having extra clips or the price of the clip, it's about the vent blowing off. It can even damage someones car or even cause an accident.
I like Mike's and Joe's idea about using plastic anchors.
Steve we're at 101 degrees already!
Old 04-30-2017, 08:50 PM   #11

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyVasquez View Post
I have to agree with Steve about the vent blowing off. It's not about having extra clips or the price of the clip, it's about the vent blowing off. It can even damage someones car or even cause an accident.
I like Mike's and Joe's idea about using plastic anchors.
Steve we're at 101 degrees already!
We had one day over 100 degs about five years ago but it was in July. I was sure it was a sign of the coming apocalypse . We spent the day sitting on lawn chairs in our lake in about 2 or 3 ft of water.
We spent several June days in Texas when we picked up our Casita and that was enough to convince us to stop complaining about summers in the Midwest .
I guess my wife and I are a couple of heat wimps.

Best Wishes
Steve D
Old 04-30-2017, 10:28 PM   #12

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
We had one day over 100 degs about five years ago but it was in July. I was sure it was a sign of the coming apocalypse . I guess my wife and I are a couple of heat wimps.
Steve, by July it'll be hitting 120-25 here....maybe I could send you a bit of heat to toughen you up a bit, I'll have extra . On the plus side, the humidity tops out at 10 or 15 %.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator