Refrigerators - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-30-2016, 12:22 AM   #1
Member
 
Name: Janis
Trailer: obtaining information
Delaware
Posts: 80
Refrigerators

I've been hearing about refrigerators catching fire and destroying travel trailers. Has anyone had any bad experiences with the refrig. that Casita puts in their trailers? Did anyone change out their refrig. for an all electric one? I read on this forum that some people put in a Truckfridge in different travel trailers and I've been looking up refrig. on Amazon and watching youtube videos on this subject. What has been your experience with your refrigerator in your travel trailer?
__________________

__________________
janisg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 01:02 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
David B.'s Avatar
 
Name: Dave & Paula Brown
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Arizona
Posts: 1,717
Registry
Janis, I never heard of refrigerators catching fire, but I suppose anything can happen. I had replaced a poorly functioning 3 way refrigerator in our 13' Scamp with a 12 volt Danfoss compressor style refrigerator by NovaKool, and had another one by Truckfridge installed in our Lil Snoozy when it was being built. I prefer compressor refrigerators to absorption style, as although they have the same outside dimensions, the interior dimensions are larger, and they cool in a matter of minutes, not hours. Many prefer the absorption refrigerator in an RV..... to each their own.
Dave & Paula
__________________

__________________
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 01:18 AM   #3
Member
 
Name: Janis
Trailer: obtaining information
Delaware
Posts: 80
Thanks for replying Dave--you're the one that mentioned Truckfridge Refrigerators before when I was looking at LilSnoozy TT so I looked them up and saved the link just in case I want to go that route. You never heard of fires in a travel trailers? I believe Dimetic ? (not sure of spelling) is in court now over fires happening in TT from their refrigerators. Anyway, I'm glad you mentioned Truckfridge before and I just wanted to know if anyone owning fiberglass TT had big problems with their refrig.
__________________
janisg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 02:48 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Borrego Dave's Avatar
 
Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Posts: 2,918
Interesting question Janis. There are only a couple makers of LP refers used in all RVs, from multi million $ rigs and down. I've never heard of a fire caused by a refer. Guess it could happen but since the flame in them is no more than a candle...it's one in a million to me. If a refer was the cause I would think it would be from an electrical source, not a flame. I can't give you any stats or figures but all but a couple of fires I've heard of were from wiring. The few fires that I have heard of from LP were folks traveling down the road with the water heaters on. When they light up for heat the flame is big and was pulled to the outside of the trailer by the side winds.
Nothing against your concern of LP refers over 12v units, it's all in what you're comfortable with or how you camp, SPs or boondocking with solar or LP.
__________________
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 06:46 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Posts: 1,885
http://www.aegiforensics.com/library...ires-part1.pdf
__________________
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 07:24 AM   #6
Raz
Senior Member
 
Raz's Avatar
 
Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Posts: 4,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
A good argument for not running the fridge on LP while on the road. While a failure while stationary is possible I think it's less likely.
__________________
Raz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 09:34 AM   #7
Member
 
Name: Janis
Trailer: obtaining information
Delaware
Posts: 80
Thanks gordon2 for your reference. I googled rv refrigerator fires and came up with a page of references. One was on rvforum in general discussion Norcold Refrigerator Fires. Another was the following: www.forbes.com/.../exploding-rv-refrigerators-spark-a-war-amon... Sorry this didn't work. But I did find it when I googled the subject and the forbes article came up.
__________________
janisg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 09:35 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Carol H's Avatar
 
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Posts: 11,731
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
A good argument for not running the fridge on LP while on the road. While a failure while stationary is possible I think it's less likely.
Keep in mind that article was written almost 20 years ago and I suspect that todays fridges have some safety features the older fridges did not.

The OP should use the Search function at the top of the forum - use the bottom search box Google for best results.

Lots of threads discussing the cons for some of going all electrical or with 12V only fridges.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 09:53 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Posts: 1,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Keep in mind that article was written almost 20 years ago and I suspect that todays fridges have some of the safety features the older fridges did not. ..
And I think that most fires might have been with the older (pre-recall) models. Still I thought it was good information and something everyone with an absorption fridge should be aware of.

I avoid using the fridge on propane while driving, but I consider the risk low enough that when faced with the occasional almost certain prospect of a lot of spoiled food (on a long drive in hot weather for example) I have resorted to firing it up on the road. I try to make that the rare exception by keeping enough mass inside to keep to hold the cold, pre-chilling it to about 33 F and not opening the door until I can turn it back on at my destination.
__________________
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 09:54 AM   #10
Member
 
Name: Janis
Trailer: obtaining information
Delaware
Posts: 80
The Forbes article I found was written Nov. 6, 2014 by Daniel Fisher titled: 'Exploding RV Refrigerators Spark A War Among Plaintiff Lawyers' and referred to Norcold's refrigerators.

The discussion I read was posted on rvforum.net in general discussion (have to use search on the forum: refrigerator fires) and its posting date is April 6, 2013 and also refers to Norcold.
__________________
janisg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 10:13 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Carol H's Avatar
 
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Posts: 11,731
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by janisg View Post
The Forbes article I found was written Nov. 6, 2014 by Daniel Fisher titled: 'Exploding RV Refrigerators Spark A War Among Plaintiff Lawyers' and referred to Norcold's refrigerators.

The discussion I read was posted on rvforum.net in general discussion (have to use search on the forum: refrigerator fires) and its posting date is April 6, 2013 and also refers to Norcold.
Yes and a class action was started recently as well.

The topic has been debated extensively on most RV forum in the past and the recent announcement of the class action generated a pretty big yawn from most RV users..... mostly people want to know who stands to make the most from the class action case.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 10:14 AM   #12
Member
 
Name: Janis
Trailer: obtaining information
Delaware
Posts: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
And I think that most fires might have been with the older (pre-recall) models. Still I thought it was good information and something everyone with an absorption fridge should be aware of.

I avoid using the fridge on propane while driving, but I consider the risk low enough that when faced with the occasional almost certain prospect of a lot of spoiled food (on a long drive in hot weather for example) I have resorted to firing it up on the road. I try to make that the rare exception by keeping enough mass inside to keep to hold the cold, pre-chilling it to about 33 F and not opening the door until I can turn it back on at my destination.
I was thinking that a person could buy one of those little refrigerators found on Amazon ENGEL USA MT17F-U1 Portable Dual Voltage Fridge/Freezer, Grey, 16 quart

and then transfer your food to your bigger rv refrigerator or trade out the rv refrigerator and put in an Atwood refrigerator which is helium based and not flammable. But if the electricity goes out in the park where your staying and comes back on again the refrigerator won't come back on like the Dometic or Norcold ones do. If I were camping I would wait and buy my food in the area I was visiting instead of stocking the refrigerator before starting out on the trip.

Don't know why my copy and paste doesn't work and don't know why my type is darker--not trying to yell at anyone or anything like that--just don't know how to use certain functions of the computer. Janis
__________________
janisg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 01:11 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Name: K C
Trailer: 1980 18' Sunrader Motorhome and 1971 Trailswest Campster
Washington
Posts: 1,376
Don't let worry keep you up at night over this situation because there is no generalized major history of refrigerator caused fires in fiberglass travel trailers.

There were some fires and as a result there were some recalls but they were on specific refrigerators from specific years. When you decide to purchase a trailer you can use the make and model number of the fridge and research it on the company's website to see if there was a recall on that model. If it is on the list then can also find out what you would need to do about it from that website.
__________________
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 02:48 PM   #14
Member
 
Name: Janis
Trailer: obtaining information
Delaware
Posts: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
Don't let worry keep you up at night over this situation because there is no generalized major history of refrigerator caused fires in fiberglass travel trailers.

There were some fires and as a result there were some recalls but they were on specific refrigerators from specific years. When you decide to purchase a trailer you can use the make and model number of the fridge and research it on the company's website to see if there was a recall on that model. If it is on the list then can also find out what you would need to do about it from that website.

Good information Kcorbin--I will keep it in mind. Thanks for taking the time to tell me. Janis
__________________

__________________
janisg is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
refrigerator


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Low energy DC refrigerators pindraak Fulltiming in a Molded Fiberglass Trailer 25 03-28-2014 10:29 PM
Casita refrigerators--need to know Betty L. Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 1 06-28-2012 07:01 AM
Gas Absorbtion Refrigerators Lisa H. Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 19 06-27-2008 11:28 AM
Help with older model refrigerators Phillip Krueger Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 3 06-11-2007 10:53 PM
Casita Refrigerators Lisa M. Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 6 05-22-2007 01:28 AM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.