Refrigerators - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2016, 11:22 PM   #1

Name: Janis
Trailer: obtaining information
Delaware
Refrigerators

I've been hearing about refrigerators catching fire and destroying travel trailers. Has anyone had any bad experiences with the refrig. that Casita puts in their trailers? Did anyone change out their refrig. for an all electric one? I read on this forum that some people put in a Truckfridge in different travel trailers and I've been looking up refrig. on Amazon and watching youtube videos on this subject. What has been your experience with your refrigerator in your travel trailer?
janisg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 12:02 AM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Janis, I never heard of refrigerators catching fire, but I suppose anything can happen. I had replaced a poorly functioning 3 way refrigerator in our 13' Scamp with a 12 volt Danfoss compressor style refrigerator by NovaKool, and had another one by Truckfridge installed in our Lil Snoozy when it was being built. I prefer compressor refrigerators to absorption style, as although they have the same outside dimensions, the interior dimensions are larger, and they cool in a matter of minutes, not hours. Many prefer the absorption refrigerator in an RV..... to each their own.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 12:18 AM   #3

Delaware
Thanks for replying Dave--you're the one that mentioned Truckfridge Refrigerators before when I was looking at LilSnoozy TT so I looked them up and saved the link just in case I want to go that route. You never heard of fires in a travel trailers? I believe Dimetic ? (not sure of spelling) is in court now over fires happening in TT from their refrigerators. Anyway, I'm glad you mentioned Truckfridge before and I just wanted to know if anyone owning fiberglass TT had big problems with their refrig.
Old 04-30-2016, 01:48 AM   #4

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Interesting question Janis. There are only a couple makers of LP refers used in all RVs, from multi million $ rigs and down. I've never heard of a fire caused by a refer. Guess it could happen but since the flame in them is no more than a candle...it's one in a million to me. If a refer was the cause I would think it would be from an electrical source, not a flame. I can't give you any stats or figures but all but a couple of fires I've heard of were from wiring. The few fires that I have heard of from LP were folks traveling down the road with the water heaters on. When they light up for heat the flame is big and was pulled to the outside of the trailer by the side winds.
Nothing against your concern of LP refers over 12v units, it's all in what you're comfortable with or how you camp, SPs or boondocking with solar or LP.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 05:46 AM   #5

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
http://www.aegiforensics.com/library...ires-part1.pdf
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 06:24 AM   #6
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
A good argument for not running the fridge on LP while on the road. While a failure while stationary is possible I think it's less likely.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 08:34 AM   #7

Delaware
Thanks gordon2 for your reference. I googled rv refrigerator fires and came up with a page of references. One was on rvforum in general discussion Norcold Refrigerator Fires. Another was the following: www.forbes.com/.../exploding-rv-refrigerators-spark-a-war-amon... Sorry this didn't work. But I did find it when I googled the subject and the forbes article came up.
Old 04-30-2016, 08:35 AM   #8

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
A good argument for not running the fridge on LP while on the road. While a failure while stationary is possible I think it's less likely.
Keep in mind that article was written almost 20 years ago and I suspect that todays fridges have some safety features the older fridges did not.

The OP should use the Search function at the top of the forum - use the bottom search box Google for best results.

Lots of threads discussing the cons for some of going all electrical or with 12V only fridges.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 08:53 AM   #9

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Keep in mind that article was written almost 20 years ago and I suspect that todays fridges have some of the safety features the older fridges did not. ..
And I think that most fires might have been with the older (pre-recall) models. Still I thought it was good information and something everyone with an absorption fridge should be aware of.

I avoid using the fridge on propane while driving, but I consider the risk low enough that when faced with the occasional almost certain prospect of a lot of spoiled food (on a long drive in hot weather for example) I have resorted to firing it up on the road. I try to make that the rare exception by keeping enough mass inside to keep to hold the cold, pre-chilling it to about 33 F and not opening the door until I can turn it back on at my destination.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 08:54 AM   #10

Delaware
The Forbes article I found was written Nov. 6, 2014 by Daniel Fisher titled: 'Exploding RV Refrigerators Spark A War Among Plaintiff Lawyers' and referred to Norcold's refrigerators.

The discussion I read was posted on rvforum.net in general discussion (have to use search on the forum: refrigerator fires) and its posting date is April 6, 2013 and also refers to Norcold.
Old 04-30-2016, 09:13 AM   #11

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by janisg View Post
The Forbes article I found was written Nov. 6, 2014 by Daniel Fisher titled: 'Exploding RV Refrigerators Spark A War Among Plaintiff Lawyers' and referred to Norcold's refrigerators.

The discussion I read was posted on rvforum.net in general discussion (have to use search on the forum: refrigerator fires) and its posting date is April 6, 2013 and also refers to Norcold.
Yes and a class action was started recently as well.

The topic has been debated extensively on most RV forum in the past and the recent announcement of the class action generated a pretty big yawn from most RV users..... mostly people want to know who stands to make the most from the class action case.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 09:14 AM   #12

Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
And I think that most fires might have been with the older (pre-recall) models. Still I thought it was good information and something everyone with an absorption fridge should be aware of.

I avoid using the fridge on propane while driving, but I consider the risk low enough that when faced with the occasional almost certain prospect of a lot of spoiled food (on a long drive in hot weather for example) I have resorted to firing it up on the road. I try to make that the rare exception by keeping enough mass inside to keep to hold the cold, pre-chilling it to about 33 F and not opening the door until I can turn it back on at my destination.
I was thinking that a person could buy one of those little refrigerators found on Amazon ENGEL USA MT17F-U1 Portable Dual Voltage Fridge/Freezer, Grey, 16 quart

and then transfer your food to your bigger rv refrigerator or trade out the rv refrigerator and put in an Atwood refrigerator which is helium based and not flammable. But if the electricity goes out in the park where your staying and comes back on again the refrigerator won't come back on like the Dometic or Norcold ones do. If I were camping I would wait and buy my food in the area I was visiting instead of stocking the refrigerator before starting out on the trip.

Don't know why my copy and paste doesn't work and don't know why my type is darker--not trying to yell at anyone or anything like that--just don't know how to use certain functions of the computer. Janis
Old 04-30-2016, 12:11 PM   #13

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Don't let worry keep you up at night over this situation because there is no generalized major history of refrigerator caused fires in fiberglass travel trailers.

There were some fires and as a result there were some recalls but they were on specific refrigerators from specific years. When you decide to purchase a trailer you can use the make and model number of the fridge and research it on the company's website to see if there was a recall on that model. If it is on the list then can also find out what you would need to do about it from that website.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 01:48 PM   #14

Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
Don't let worry keep you up at night over this situation because there is no generalized major history of refrigerator caused fires in fiberglass travel trailers.

There were some fires and as a result there were some recalls but they were on specific refrigerators from specific years. When you decide to purchase a trailer you can use the make and model number of the fridge and research it on the company's website to see if there was a recall on that model. If it is on the list then can also find out what you would need to do about it from that website.

Good information Kcorbin--I will keep it in mind. Thanks for taking the time to tell me. Janis
Old 04-30-2016, 02:36 PM   #15

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp
Colorado
Registry
This discussion regarding frig fires is timely as I am in the process of installing a larger frig in my ’83 Scamp and came across something “interesting” while removing the old Dometic 211.

The photo shows the top view of the piece of fiberglass that extends from the rear of the frig to the top external vent to help vent the exhaust gases and seals off the combustion area from the inside of the camper. The cut out slot is for the gas line that goes up to the stove, and the angled side goes to the far left of the vent.

The bottom side of that same piece of fiberglass shows the effect of heat coming from the top of the flue just below it. Looks a little crispy there doesn’t it? Good case for why Dometic specifies fireproof materials be used along with minimum clearances from combustible materials in their appliances or else my camper would have been toast a long time ago.

Hope someone doesn't decide to substitute a piece of plywood or cardboard the next time they work on their frig!
Attached Thumbnails
frig mod 010.jpg   frig mod 011.jpg  

Scamper Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 04:14 PM   #16

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scamper Jim View Post
This discussion regarding frig fires is timely as I am in the process of installing a larger frig in my ’83 Scamp and came across something “interesting” while removing the old Dometic 211.

The photo shows the top view of the piece of fiberglass that extends from the rear of the frig to the top external vent to help vent the exhaust gases and seals off the combustion area from the inside of the camper. The cut out slot is for the gas line that goes up to the stove, and the angled side goes to the far left of the vent.

The bottom side of that same piece of fiberglass shows the effect of heat coming from the top of the flue just below it. Looks a little crispy there doesn’t it? Good case for why Dometic specifies fireproof materials be used along with minimum clearances from combustible materials in their appliances or else my camper would have been toast a long time ago.

Hope someone doesn't decide to substitute a piece of plywood or cardboard the next time they work on their frig!
Is that actually charred, or is it carbon build up?

The reason I ask is that, 1) looking closely I can see what appear to be fiberglass fibers in the polyester matrix, which would indicate discoloration and not actual burning and 2) there are 2 darkened spots, one darker than the other. The Dometic I have, and others I have seen,have a angled tee shaped stack on the top of the flue. It only an assumption on my part, but I think the angle is to allow cooler air to be drawn in and mixed with the hot air as the combustion gases escape the flue. In any case that would put one side closer to the fiberglass than the other, which would explain the light and dark marks.

If the fiberglass isn't actually charred and what we are seeing is carbon build up, it's time to clean the flue, the spiral baffle and the burner. When you put it back together, make sure the air is set properly to give you a nice blue flame.
Old 04-30-2016, 05:06 PM   #17

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp
Colorado
Registry
Clif,

It's definitely charred, no carbon soot.

Could you post a photo of the "...angled tee shaped stack on the top of the flue."

Jim
Scamper Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator