Relacement awning fabric problem - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2013, 11:55 AM   #1

Name: Jan
Trailer: '96 Scamp 5th Wheel
Texas
Relacement awning fabric problem

I have an old A&E (Dometic) Catalina 2500 awning. The fabric is torn and I wanted to buy a replacement awning fabric. I have spoken with Dometic and they no longer make that model awning or the replacement fabric for it. They are telling me that most replacement fabrics will not fit it bacause it has a 7' projection length instead of the current industy standard of 8'. They are also telling me that the polycord placement is different as well. Has anyone else run into this problem? One company suggested I find someone who makes custom awnings but I haven't looked yet. One company said I could I could just use the 8" even tho it would not roll all the way out. It would just mean there fabric would stay wrapped up and there would be no valance. Not sure what to do - but don't really want to have to buy a whole new unit if I can avoid it.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:57 AM   #2

Texas
OOPS! In my post I said I wanted to buy replacement awning and left out the word fabric. It is the replacement fabric I want. Thanks
Old 04-03-2013, 12:07 PM   #3

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
EBay is selling A&E Dometic fabric and awnings with the 7" measurment, they may be
discontinued stock from A & E. Worth a peek through. There is a source there for very inexpensive awnings as well.
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:09 PM   #4

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Have you checked out RV Awnings Smart. They sell the fabric for the awnings and you might find someone to make it up for you.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:36 PM   #5

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
If you have your old fabric, torn or not, then any local tent and awning shop could modify or make you a new awning competitively.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:56 PM   #6

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
It's easy to shorten awning fabric, at least in that direction.

The simplest way is probably to just cut about ten inches or so off, remove the spline, and stich/glue a new edge on with the spline inside the hem.

Care must be taken to keep things perfectly square when cutting/restitching.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:07 PM   #7

Texas
Had another small complication with the Catalina 2500 - the polycord on that model is 5/32" and the new standard is 3/16 at the tube and 1/4 at the rail. No one was offering that size. In looking on ebay I found Shadepro and gave them a call. The guy there has been in the business for years and said he can make me one with no problems - he knew what I was tallking about. Huge relief - I was starting to worry about having to get a new awning or do without. Price was reasonable too. I'll let everyone know how it works out.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:06 PM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janb313 View Post
Price was reasonable too. I'll let everyone know how it works out.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning