Remember to turn the refrigerator on! - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-13-2003, 07:30 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Remember to turn the refrigerator on!

Long, long ago ... I detailed a situation where I couldn't get my refrigerator turned on in the GAS setting.

For probably close to an hour, I stood there, pressing the ignitor, hoping for flame.

Nothing.

Click, click, click.

No flame.

I double checked that I had turned the propane tanks on. I even double checked that I had gas, by igniting the stove AND the water heater.

But click, click, click went the ignitor ... with no flame.

Then it dawned on me that I hadn't turned on the little selector knob. The knob was still pointing at the off-position.

After I rotated the knob to the gas position, the refrigerator started on the first click.

I found out that day that it is easier to start a refrigerator in the gas mode, when you have the little selector switch pointing to gas.

Old 03-13-2003, 07:35 AM   #2

So why am I writing this again today?

Well, I received an email from a dear, dear friend who said she had a similar experience this past weekend.

Try as she might, she couldn't get her refrigerator started in the Gas mode.

Click, click, click went the switch.

Remembering my past experience, she made sure she had the refrigerator turned on.

She did.

But click, click, click went the switch.

She double checked her propane supply by igniting the stove.

But, still, no go in the gas mode.

It took awhile, but she finally figured out that she had the little refrigerator switch turned on, alright, but it was pointed to the DC mode, rather than the GAS mode.

Not the same as me, but just as silly.

So, I guess what I'm trying to say, is if you are trying to start your refrigerator in the GAS mode ... it's a lot easier to start if the switch is set to GAS.

The darn thing doesn't want to ignite when you have the switch set to OFF or DC.

Old 03-13-2003, 07:41 AM   #3

So, since I tried ... but failed ... to ignite the refrigerator in the GAS mode, with the selector switch set to OFF.

And she tried ... but failed ... to ignite the refrigerator in the GAS mode, with the selector switch set to DC.

I figure it's only a matter of time before one of y'all try to ignite your refrigerator in the GAS mode with the switch set to AC.

I'm telling you now, it's not going to work!

(Now, before one of you fancy Bigfoot owners with the bigger refrigerators post something, I know in the larger Bigfoots, some of the MODE selection is automatic. But I figure that's because Bigfoot doesn't trust you to have the refrigerator in the right setting.:) :) )
Old 03-13-2003, 09:54 AM   #4

aha!

I only wish I had the one button instead of the 3 (or is that 4?) that I do have. No worries for me though Charles - I've delegated that responsibility to Sue. :o
Old 03-13-2003, 11:26 AM   #5

lighting the fridge

.....is kinda like a sobriety test.

If you can accomplish this you're probably fit to get on the highway.
Old 03-19-2003, 08:52 AM   #6

that durn knob

Yes, we made a refrigerator faux pas or two, :o but thanks to having the digital I/O thermometer in there, we soon can detect a problem. What Bob has done is put ME in charge of the refrigerator! I wear my glasses all the time and he doesn't. :laugh But I have a plan for improvement: I want to use fingernail polish in different colors as indicators for probably the AC and GAS setting. When I physically do this, I will report back if it helps or just adds to the confusion...
Old 03-22-2003, 08:15 AM   #7

Do you have to go outside to light or change the running option on your ref? in my MH, when I had one, you did everthing inside. turn a knob, click a button, everything but turn on the propane tank.
now in Buttercup, being almost 20 years older then my use-to-have MH, everything is done from the outside, on the drivers side behind the unit. and there are so many knobs. I'm not sure I like this. I'm a just being wimpy? is it really simple once I figure out which button is for what? Do I need a new unit, will it be an inside job like before?
Old 03-22-2003, 08:23 AM   #8

Inside/Outside

Jana,

The only unit I can speak for is my '89 Casita. It is a two way fridge. DC or Gas. You light it from the outside. The way it is set up, there is no mistaking one for the other. I haven't lit it since last fall, but if I correctly recall, there is a switch that has to be turned a certain way in order to get to the gas. All I remember is that it is pretty mistake proof.

I think the new Casitas (especially the ones with the larger fridges) are done from the inside, but not certain.
Old 03-22-2003, 08:26 AM   #9

Fridges

Fridges in the Casitas are controlled from the inside. A little knob with selector options just over the door. The problem (not really a big one!) is that there are about six detents to select from, depending on whether you want Gas, AC, or DC. And there are "off" positons between each selection.

Tags
refrigerator