removal of camper off frame 13" 74 trillium - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2013, 07:37 AM   #1

Name: Helga
Trailer: (formerly owned) trillium
New Jersey
removal of camper off frame 13" 74 trillium

how do i take camper off frame of 13 foot 74 trillium. It's really rusty under there
Thank you
Helga in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:56 AM   #2

Name: David
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 1300
Cumberland, Indiana
Registry
My '78 1300 had two 6" carriage bolts that went through the frame on each side in the back of the trailer. The tops of the bolts should be visible from inside the rear storage compartments. You should see the rounded tops of the bolts with a square steel washer. The front bolts were located on either side accessible from the front storage area. Mine had two 2" carriage bolts on each side. These bolted to brackets that were welded to each side of each frame member. This front area had been reinforced either at the factory of by a PO. You can see the flat plate welded to the bottom of the frame. One of the pictures show the underside of these brackets.

If yours are anything like mine, the bolts were so rusty and deteriorated that most just snapped off. I replaced all with new Stainless steel bolts/nuts and washers.

After the bolts were free, I jacked up the front and slipped a 6x8 timber across to support the body and supported each end on jack stands. I then repeated the same thing in the rear. I took off the tires, lowered the frame and pulled the trailer out from under the body supported on furniture moving dollies. I've included some pictures that I hope helps.

Good luck!

Spanke
Attached Thumbnails
P1040572.jpg   P1040573.jpg  

P1040574.jpg   P1040577.jpg  

P1040578.jpg   P1040579.jpg  

P1040582.jpg   P1040587.jpg  

Old 04-22-2013, 02:47 PM   #3

Name: Larry
Trailer: Trillium
Arizona
Bolts?

Hello,
I renewed the bolts on my 1978 Trillium 1300.
There were 4 behind the axle / 2 under each
settee. In the front there was 1 on each side
under the Gaucho. One was missing and 3
snapped off when I tried to remove them.
Stainless steel bolts were so expensive I used
good quality 5/16" (hope I remember) bolts.
Before installation I painted the nuts, bolts,
and washers with several coats of Rustoleum
primer. Living in Arizona rust is not too large
of a problem.

The fun thing is putting them back in by
yourself. Clamping vice grips on the top bolt
heads to hold them while I was under the trailer
did the trick. The bolts are still in good shape
after 4 years. Of course the first ones lasted for
over 30 years.

Good luck on your project. I have been
considering pulling mine apart to repaint
the frame.

Larry H
Larry C Hanson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:33 PM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I just did a frame off restoration of my trillium last year and followed the same processes as Spanke. My trillium had 4 bolts in the rear, 2 bolts in the front and I also had one bolt under the refrigerator.
paul friedrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 06:21 AM   #5

Name: Duane
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
New Brunswick
removal of camper off frame 13" 74 trillium

I wish to thank all of you who gave me information & tips on how to remove the body off my Trillium. Any job is much easier when you know what is involved and where & how many fasteners are located.
Perhaps I can help someone else in the future. Duane
getaway1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 09:56 AM   #6

Name: Andy
Colorado
I see this thread is older but I'm looking at pulling our frame next summer to install a new axle and reinforce the frame. Has anyone ever tried coating their frame with that truck bed spray material?
ajdemo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 06:54 AM   #7

Name: Duane
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
New Brunswick
Hello Andy: I am going to remove the egg on my trillium soon. I will post pics of the job. As for bed liner coating on the frame I would check very carefully for cracks before spraying the frame with anything ,sand blast to clean well, check and then spray! I would prefer to use an asphalt type coating as it can be removed easier if you need to weld anywhere later on. That stuff sticks well and stones don't knock if off easily. The frame was painted at the factory and thin at best. I don't like powder coat as it lifts and holds moisture behind the plastic. Rust you can't see. Metal never dries out. I live in an area where salt is used in the winter and that coating is a real issue for us !
Well I have added my opinion and anything you paint on the frame will protect it !
Go for it ! Cheers, Duane
getaway1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 09:41 AM   #8

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Por 15 is a popular choice for frame paint. But wear gloves. The stuff will not come off skin.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 12:11 PM   #9

Name: Colleen
WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul friedrich View Post
under the refrigerator.

tell me no. Not under the damn refrigerator!
Colleeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 09:11 AM   #10

Name: Larry
Arizona
Frame Bolt Location - Trillium 1300

Hi Colleen...

On my '78 Trillium the frame bolt locations are:

2 Right and left under front gaucho
2 Under left dinette seat
2 Under right dinette seat

Good Luck,

Larry H
Larry C Hanson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 11:23 AM   #11

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Where bolts were originally 40+ years ago, and where they are now, can be two different situations. Inspect under the trailer as well as in each cabinet, bench, whatever.

The number of bolts originally used also depends on the year of your trailer (not listed). Before the frame recall (1976 ish) and after they changed the locations somewhat. If your front bolts are through the frame, I'd be very suspicious of frame cracks. The front is where the frames were bent inward and then upward, lots of stresses in that area (worst possible place to put a bolt through the center of the frame). Later they used tabs welded to the side of the frame.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 03:28 PM   #12

Name: Colleen
WA
Thank you. I'll need luck
Colleeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 08:52 AM   #13

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colleeno View Post
Thank you. I'll need luck
especially in this weather pattern in Washington state unless you have a heated indoor place for working on removing and repairing/replacing a frame. It was tricky enough getting mine done outside in Seattle in the month of October as that was a really rainy one this year. Barely enough dry hours to get the new frame painted so that it could be installed.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 06:05 PM   #14

Name: jagbor
British Columbia
Hi! Just finished pulling the bed off of the frame of our 1973 Trillium 1300......only 4 bolts holding the body to frame and replaced all 4 but reversed the bolts so washers/nuts are easily accessable inside storage cubbies. In terms of frame, sandblasted/metal prepped and POR 15'd. In addition, about 6" all the way around the trailer body, as well as the entire underside, now has black RaptorLiner applied.....looks great!
JuliusB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium