Removal of carpet adhesive, help, please? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2011, 01:50 AM   #1

Trailer: Love Bug 1974
Removal of carpet adhesive, help, please?

Greetings!

I just acquired another project and this has carpet on the walls, the thick, ugly, carpet of the 70s. I can rip the carpet off and see the glue. I am not sure if the fiberglass is gel coated or not.

The question is, if I see the raw fiberglass, and I really don't want ensolite, I need a solution...no more carpet, wood, nor fabric.

Is there a product to apply to the raw that is similar to sheetrock compound, you apply it with a trowel and smooth out and paint?

Many thanks!
Gigi
Gigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:49 AM   #2

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
If there is it would probably crack on the first trip.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 01:38 PM   #3

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Greg you have given new meaning to a cracked egg!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 06:30 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Given enough money and time nearly anything is possible. Some have talked about applying bed liner inside an egg. Here's one that can be brushed on and comes in all kinds of colors: Grizzly Grip - Coating for truck bed liners, boats, and more. here's a real spendy one that needs a special sprayer, but has great insulating properties: LizardSkin® Spray-On Insulation : Lizardskin

Whatever you use, if it's not something NORMALLY used inside an enclosed area where you're breathing and sleeping, make absolutely certain it won't outgas and cause you long term health problems. Some glues comes to mind as well...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 08:43 AM   #5

Trailer: Love Bug 1974
Forgot to mention, it's for my sailboat interior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Given enough money and time nearly anything is possible. Some have talked about applying bed liner inside an egg. Here's one that can be brushed on and comes in all kinds of colors: Grizzly Grip - Coating for truck bed liners, boats, and more. here's a real spendy one that needs a special sprayer, but has great insulating properties: LizardSkin® Spray-On Insulation : Lizardskin

Whatever you use, if it's not something NORMALLY used inside an enclosed area where you're breathing and sleeping, make absolutely certain it won't outgas and cause you long term health problems. Some glues comes to mind as well...
Hi, Ya, Donna!

Well, I do like the grizzly look and with the rubber additive would likely hold up with the mild movement of the boat. I recall having a product years ago that was like this and was available for countertops. One of my clients used it in a lower level food prep area and told me years later it held up beautifully.

Thanks for the input! Muchly appreciated!
Gigi
Gigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 09:26 AM   #6

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Hi, Gigi

Thanks for paying us the compliment of asking a fiberglass boat- related question!
Lots of times we refer folks to fiberglass boat sites for answers, but I think this is the first time I've seen a boat owner come to us!
Please do let us know what you come up with- it'd be nice to see the finished project ...

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote